search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 11337
  • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Binckbank Tour
« on: August 13, 2018, 08:12 »
Binckbank Tour

August 13th to 19th

After some great editions over the past years, the former Eneco Tour could be a less thrilling one this time - unless you like mass sprints.

Maybe the weather can play a bit of a part though, and also the Golden Kilometre rule is still in use to spice things up a bit.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Re: Binckbank Tour
    « Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 08:10 »
    the first two days weren't too spectacular, with #quickstep Fabian Jakobsen winning the opening sprint...

...and #bmc Stefan Küng taking over in the time trial:

But yesterday a successful breakaway turned things upside down a bit. The great #roompot Taco van der Hoorn took the stage win, and #uae Matej Mohoric now leads the GC just ahead of #verandas Sean de Bie

De Bie is one second behind. Why he let Mohoric take 9 bonus seconds underway while he didn't even roll through to take 2nd or 3rd himself, remains a mystery, I guess.

Back to sprinting today. Although the Ardooie finish is always a special one, and surprises are possible
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6653
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 09:10 »
    I kind of stumbled across the race while out on the bike yesterday (it was a national holiday here). I haven't really been following events because of the dull initial stages so I didn't know beforehand where yesterday's stage was being run.

I knew something was up about 20 minutes before because I passed a #mitchelton car at some traffic lights and then a #wallonie car came by soon after. You know they're swanny support because there are no bikes on the roof.

When at last I converged with the race, it was just a long, wide and flat section of highway just north of the Schelde but I had been riding for a time in parallel along a small side road into the same massive headwind. I simply could not believe how fast they were riding into that, it's humbling for the rest of us.

Mohoric was leading the group, big lad compared to the others, pushing a massive gear. At that point, the #bmc chase didn't look like much but my eyes were watering at the speed of the peloton too. Just bringing up bottles looked like a life-and-death business.

So it was a pleasant surprise to round off my day but I think it only seemed so fast because, when I go out expressly intending to see a race, I usually do that on climbs at the sharp end of the day. And it's obviously a different story there.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

search

• World Champion
    « Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 15:53 »
    Although the Ardooie finish is always a special one, and surprises are possible

...especially if you execute it as perfectly as #trek Trek Segafredo today. Stuyven in 1st accelerates through the 1k to go chicane, team mate in 2nd slows down the bunch, no one able to pass. Hammer down to the finish. Deal done. Chapeau! :cool

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 07:49 »
    sounds like there's not much need for a DS at #trek Trek Segafredo anymore... Jasper takeover :P

Jasper Stuyven’s gutsy move at the end of stage four at the Binck Bank Tour – attacking out of the final S-turn with one kilometer to go to hold off the sprinters and take a dramatic win – gave Trek-Segafredo team director Dirk Demol a hometown victory he had been chasing for years with Trek.

“Every year [Dirk] says it’s an important day for the team and for him, so we always try to make the best out of it,” Stuyven said. “[The team] came up with the plan ourselves and both Dirk and Steven (de Jongh) supported our idea, and they knew we had the guys to bring me in the first position with one kilometer to go. It’s always a big fight to get there, and we all committed to the plan, and all believed we could do it, and that made a difference today to get the win.”

[...]

“I set the plan yesterday evening at dinner,”  Stuyven elaborated. “Maybe we are not the fastest, but we have such a strong team, and with the chicane coming into the finish, every year it’s a hard fight.  We made the plan to really come late and go all-in and then someone just opened up the gap.

https://racing.trekbikes.com/sport/road/2018/stuyven-wins-stage-four-at-the-binck-bank-tour/
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 09:04 »
    I was passing through the village of Wijgmaal a few months ago, which is almost the last one beside the canal before you reach Leuven, and in the centre I saw the usual idyllic church square.

At one end, there's an unassuming local bar, the proximity of which to the church kind of sums up Flanders, and this is the headquarters of the Jasper Stuyven Fanclub.

Now Jasper isn't from Wijgmaal himself - he comes from the other side of Leuven - but there's a full setup there with a Stuyven-branded camper van almost as impressive as the one that Cancellara's lot used to go about in. Apparently this isn't the only fanclub in his name. There's another one out by the French border where he rode as a junior.

Good to see him win in style yesterday after that disappointment at the Tour in Mende. His development as a major Classics contender is taking a bit longer than I expected but he's getting there bit by bit.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 10:39 »
    last chance for the sprinters, but they messed it up again. Breakaway wins

#topsport Rickaert was in there as well, and with a good chance to move up in gc, but had an unfortunate mechanical inside the final couple of Kilometer - and then crashed into his team car when it stopped in front of him

Today's Sittard-Geleen stage could be an entertaining one, especially with the lack of organization in the peloton so far. Last year Lars Boom won solo with a late attack from a select group of 16.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion

search

• World Champion
    « Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 08:13 »
    it turned out to be a good stage indeed yesterday, with lots of attacks - and a surprise winner in the end

more of it today, just on cobbles. Same course as usual, but with one additional lap this time again (so basically same as 2016, as far as I can see).

#bahrain Mohoric was out of team mates on from 50k to go yesterday, and covered every attack himself. Can he hang on today? It looks unlikely, but who knows... there are the guys he needs to watch out for :D

1      #bahrain   Mohoric Matej      20:34:12
    2      #sunweb   Matthews Michael      00:30
    3      #roompot   van der Hoorn Taco      00:32
    4      #sunweb   Andersen Søren Kragh      00:34
    5      #quickstep   Schachmann Maximilian      00:35
    6      #bora   Bodnar Maciej      00:36
    7      #lotto   Campenaerts Victor      00:36
    8      #lotto   Wellens Tim      00:37
    9      #quickstep   Lampaert Yves      00:43
    10      #sky   van Baarle Dylan      00:44
    11      #bora   Mühlberger Gregor      00:47
    12      #trek   Stuyven Jasper      00:52
    13      #quickstep   Terpstra Niki      00:53
    14      #bmc   Van Avermaet Greg      00:55
    15      #uae   Polanc Jan      01:03
    16      #jumbo   Van Hoecke Gijs      01:04
    17      #uae   Ulissi Diego      01:07
    18      #quickstep   Štybar Zdeněk      01:13
    19      #jumbo   van Emden Jos      01:14
    20      #mitchelton   Juul-Jensen Christopher      01:19
    21      #movistar   Sütterlin Jasha      01:26
    22      #bora   McCarthy Jay      01:26
    23      #groupama   Madouas Valentin      01:30
    24      #wanty   Meurisse Xandro      01:33
    25      #wanty   Smith Dion      01:36
    26      #jumbo   Roosen Timo      01:36
    27      #sunweb   Theuns Edward      01:40
    28      #ef   Van Asbroeck Tom      01:41
    29      #ag2r   Naesen Oliver      01:42
    30      #bora   Selig Rüdiger      01:42
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 08:29 »
    Good final stage there, plenty of action and the Muur is always a nice setting.

I was hoping that Naesen might make it if the chasers started watching each other but he went too early and blew up pretty spectacularly on the Denderoordberg (sic). For me, a Matthews win usually corresponds to a bit of an anticlimax and it did here too but nobody else had the legs there at the end. That finish might not look much in the shadow of the Muur proper but it's a really tough drag up through the town.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mohoric-i-enjoyed-my-first-experience-of-the-cobbles/

So Mohoric has never ridden cobbles. He really should start doing those races from next season with his engine. He could do big things in the Flemish classics.
  • ReplyReply

•