search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 11337
  • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
[2.1] Deutschland Tour
« on: August 20, 2018, 08:46 »
Deutschland Tour 2018[1]

August 23rd to 26th

Ten years after the last edition of the Tour of Germany, the pack will again come together on the most photographed site in Koblenz, the “German Corner”, at the confluence of the Rhine and Moselle Rivers. Emperor William I overlooks the site, in the form of a statue of the monarch on horseback, reinforcing the venue’s sense of majesty. However, the riders will soon forget about the tourist attractions on the route, because they will have to focus on preparing for a probable sprint finish in the historic heart of Bonn. It should give rise to a solid show of force, but the leader who will be present at the start the following day will not be likely to keep his jersey on the way to Trier, which the pack will reach after having tackled 3 000 metres of positive gradient, including, on the final circuit, a double climb of the Petrisberg hill (2 km, with some sections of the slope at a 10% gradient). A puncher is almost certain to take control of the race here and will have to battle to maintain his position between Trier and Merzig, where another hill will be climbed twice, offering opportunities of revenge to those who did not taste victory the previous day. The riders will have to keep a cool head until the finish in Stuttgart: the last difficulty, 6.4 km from the finish, will again sort out who are the toughest and most agile sprinters before an ultimate high-speed battle on Theodor-Heuss Strasse.

The programme for the 2018 Tour of Germany:
•   Thursday 23rd August, stage 1: Koblenz > Bonn, 154 km

•   Friday 24th August, stage 2: Bonn > Trier, 210 km

•   Saturday 25th August, stage 3: Trier > Merzig, 176 km

•   Sunday 26th August, stage 4: Lorsch > Stuttgart, 200 km

Led by two German teams, eleven teams from the UCI WorldTour have registered for the four-day stage race. Bora-hansgrohe, Team Sunweb, Team Katusha Alpecin, Quick-Step Floors, AG2R La Mondiale, Lotto Soudal, Movistar Team and Team Sky will take part in the Deutschland Tour. Teams Bahrain-Merida, BMC Racing Team and Team Dimension Data round out the start list of teams from the UCI WorldTour.

Besides German star riders, like André Greipel, Marcel Kittel and Tony Martin, also the young top sprinters, like Pascal Ackermann, Max Walscheid and Rick Zabel, are planning to compete in the new Deutschland Tour.

A total of 22 teams with six riders each will take on the four stages of the Deutschland Tour. In addition to the eleven UCI WorldTeams, seven teams from the UCI Professional Continental category will start. Starts for four German UCI Continental teams were also reserved. The German Continental teams were fighting their way in the UCI Europe Tour races and in the Rad-Bundesliga to qualify for the Deutschland Tour. After the German national championships in Einhausen, the two best German UCI Continental teams in each ranking received their invitations.

• #ag2r AG2R La Mondiale
  • #bahrain Bahrain Merida
  • #bmc BMC Racing Team
  • #bora Bora Hansgrohe
  • #gazprom Gazprom RusVelo
  • #heizomat Heizomat Rad-Net.de
  • #academy Israel Cycling Academy
  • #leopard Leopard Pro Cycling
  • #lotto Lotto Soudal
  • #movistar Movistar Team
  • #quickstep Quick Step Floors
  • #rally Rally Cycling
  • #roompot Roompot Nederlandse Loterij
  • #dauner Team Dauner D&DQ | Akkon
  • #dimension Team Dimension Data
  • #fortuneo Team Fortuneo-Samsic
  • #katusha Team Katusha Alpecin
  • #lottokern Team Lotto Kern Haus
  • #sauerland Team Sauerland NRW p/b SKS Germany
  • #sky Team Sky
  • #sunweb Team Sunweb
  • #wanty Wanty Groupe Gobert

The 132 pro riders who will take part in the Deutschland Tour from August 23-26, will fight for four leader jerseys on their way from Koblenz to Stuttgart. In addition to the leader in the overall rankings, sprint and mountain rankings will be carried out on the four stages as well as the best young rider sought.

In bright red, one of the colors of the Deutschland Tour, the jersey of the overall leader will stand out in the peloton. For the first time in a professional race, thousands of fan names will be on the leader’s jersey. These fans have helped develop the Deutschland Tour with their ideas, suggestions and tips. The corresponding hash tag #DeineTour on the sleeves, the logo of the Deutschland Tour on the shoulders and the Santini logo on the chest complete the “fan” jersey.[/i]

There is National German TV broadcast on SR, HR, WDR, SWR on Thursday & Friday, 14:00 – 16:00, on ZDF, Saturday, 15:30 – 16:50 and on ARD, Sunday, 15:40 – 17:25 and 2h pan-European live coverage everyday (60 countries) on Eurosport 1 and Eurosport 2.

1. Soure of all text: ASO press release
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Re: Deutschland Tour
    « Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 08:49 »
    ASO was happy to "invite" some big names for the first edition after a 10 year break

I like the #Schnitzel hashtag, I have to admit

https://twitter.com/GeraintThomas86/status/1030418584953085952

“I’ve won Bayern-Rundfahrt twice and I really enjoy racing in Germany. It’s a lovely country and I really enjoy going there. It will be great to race the Deutschland Tour. I went to see my coach Tim Kerrison after the Tour and we outlined the Deutschland Tour as a great race to make my comeback. I’m looking forward to it.”

https://twitter.com/WestemeyerSusan/status/1022430347756281856
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 09:00 »
    the route doesn't really look balanced tbh, but (after the first day flat sprint) should guarantee some active racing at least. Hard to say who is the favourite to win. Albasini would love it.

Schachmann looked strong in Eneco, he is probably the best bet for a German win. Or can Degenkolb hang on on day 3?
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1473
    « Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 09:05 »
    A few stages in far West Germany is enough to call it the tour of all Germany? ASO is not afraid of ridicule.:fp (this time I got the smiley right)

They could as well have resurrected the Regio Tour, it would've looked more credible.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6947
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 11:00 »
    A few stages in far West Germany is enough to call it the tour of all Germany? ASO is not afraid of ridicule.:fp (this time I got the smiley right)

They could as well have resurrected the Regio Tour, it would've looked more credible.
    The plan is to grow the race to more than four days, but these four days are a reasonable start. And the idea is for future editions to go to other parts of Germany, eventually covering (much of) the whole country.

At least they travel through four of the 16 Bundesländer, that's something. If you wanted to cover all of Germany, you'd need at least two weeks of racing.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2300
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 11:17 »
     I like the way they have placed the bonifications right at the stage ends and at the top of mysteriously uncatagorized lumps. :D
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2424
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 12:07 »
    For the first time in a professional race, thousands of fan names will be on the leader’s jersey. These fans have helped develop the Deutschland Tour with their ideas, suggestions and tips. The corresponding hash tag #DeineTour on the sleeves, the logo of the Deutschland Tour on the shoulders and the Santini logo on the chest complete the “fan” jersey.[/i]

I'm certain there's a good joke somewhere in there, but I can't seem to come up with it this early in the morning.  :P

More importantly:

Who's going?

Search, Lukas...? Anybody going to attend?
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2424
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 12:41 »
    Previous winners:

2008 - Linus Gerdemann (GER) T-Mobile Team
    2007 - Jens Voigt (GER) Team CSC
    2006 - Jens Voigt (GER) Team CSC
    2005 - Levi Leipheimer (USA) Gerolsteiner
    2004 - Patrik Sinkewitz (GER) Quick Step–Davitamon
    2003 - Michael Rogers (AUS) Quick Step–Davitamon
    2002 - Igor González de Galdeano (ESP) ONCE
    2001 - Alexander Vinokourov (KAZ) Team Telekom
    2000 - David Plaza (ESP) S.L. Benfica
    1999 - Jens Heppner (GER) Team Telekom

Curiously (or maybe not so much), no Ullrich victories over the years.
    Jan's record:
    2005 - 2nd
    2004 - 7th
    2003 - 5th
    2000 - 29th
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 13:00 »
    Who's going?

I'm not. Geographically I think this is about as much of a home race for Echoes as for me ;).
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 13:27 »
    Who's going?

I'm not. Geographically I think this is about as much of a home race for Echoes as for me ;).
    Neither am I. The Ladies Tour of Norway (though not the Arctic Race) is closer than that part of Germany! :D
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1473
    « Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 09:35 »

Ah really? Are you from former GDR? (if it's not too indiscrete) I don't why I thought you were West-German from close to the borders.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 09:37 »
    Ah really? Are you from former GDR? (if it's not too indiscrete)

no, but Trier for example is still 100km closer to Brussel than from where I live
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 09:42 »
    no, but Trier for example is still 100km closer to Brussel than from where I live
    And indeed, the Danish and Polish borders are closer to search than the finishing city Stuttgart! :o
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 6777
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #13 on: August 22, 2018, 10:45 »
    Starts for four German UCI Continental teams were also reserved. The German Continental teams were fighting their way in the UCI Europe Tour races and in the Rad-Bundesliga to qualify for the Deutschland Tour. After the German national championships in Einhausen, the two best German UCI Continental teams in each ranking received their invitations.

http://www.radsport-news.com/sport/sportnews_110501.htm

It's old news, but Bike Aid weren't to happy to miss out on selection. The main gripes were:

#1 The qualifying criteria were announced rather late in the day

#2 The two best German teams in the UCI ranking was solely based on the European Tour

#3 A foreign CT team in Leopard got an invite

"Our team is getting more and more interest from foreign partners, media and sponsors - and the race organizers are offering us a very great and attractive racing calendar at the highest level.....Whether the Team Bike Aid will be under German license in 2019 is currently questionable," said Schäfer
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #14 on: August 22, 2018, 22:19 »
    It's old news, but Bike Aid weren't to happy to miss out on selection. The main gripes were:
    I can completely understand their gripes. Especially the one about the foreign Conti team - why not put together a #teamde national team?
    There's plenty to choose from, both experienced pros and promising Conti talents:
    #bikeaid Carstensen, Holler, #leopard Krieger, Geßner, Brockhoff, #dsu Heinschke, Märkl, Salmon, #lkt Appelt, Bokeloh, Dieteren, Malcharek, #vorarlberg Steimle, #hrinkow Rapp, #ccc Jonas Koch, #jumbo Martens ...
    I know, the U23 national team (and more importantly, its staff) are currently doing l'Avenir - but surely some solution could have been found if there'd been an interest in it?

What I'm asking myself, though, is how Bike Aid will want to get a non-German license?! Conti teams (and women's teams) can't just pick and choose where they want to register - they have to do it with the federation that the largest number of riders come from.
    For #bikeaid that is *de with seven (for this year), and of those, Schäfer, Schnapka, and partly Bichlmann and Holler are part of the inventory. Thömel and Lechner not so much, and Carstensen may be off to greener pastures (he's been rumoured to #lottokern for over a year) ... but they'd still need at least five riders from one country to be able to register in ... Kenya? Eritrea?
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6653
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 11:24 »
    Good inaugural race. Not too hard so that the time gaps stayed small and it came down to the last day to decide the winner.

Finally Politt got his stage win but Mohoric ... the lad is in a class of his own right now. Binck Bank and now Deutschland. It's great to see him coming through after years of being the poster child for turning pro too soon. Still only 23 but he already has four and a half (!) seasons' worth of élite experience which is obviously starting to pay off.

• ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni