• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
  • Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 6788
  • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
    • Dopeology.org
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
Stage 5 - Granada › Roquetas de Mar
« on: August 21, 2018, 13:05 »

Stage 5  -  Granada  ›  Roquetas de Mar (188.7km)

You do well, my son, to cry like a woman for what you couldn’t defend like a man

Such were the cruel (and probably apocryphal) words spoken by the mother of Muhammad XII. The sultan wept as he looked back at Granada, the city of his birth and the seat of his lost emirate, the last Islamic kingdom in the West.

The fifteenth century was one of conquest and discovery: while Columbus set out for the Americas, Muhammad was pushed out of Europe. He left behind fertile landscapes, fine architecture and a relatively peaceful, tolerant society whose values would not be found again in Spain for another four centuries.

Granada's impressive heritage has earned UNESCO World Heritage status and the Alhambra, the sultan's palace complex that overlooks the city, has long been the country's most visited monument and there remain distinct quarters of the town that correspond with its former Jewish and Arab communities.

This is a moderately hilly stage which skirts the southern rim of the Sierra Nevada without gaining altitude or tackling any of that mountain range's famous climbs. The last climb is a Cat.2 before a big drop off to the coastal resort of Roquetas de Mar which will be well known to anybody who has consulted a brochure of package holidays in the last three decades.

• ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13502
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Re: Stage 5 - Granada › Roquetas de Mar
    « Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 07:48 »
    here's an interactive profile of today's finish, via @raffiltp

screams breakaway, I guess?!
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8458
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    Re: Stage 5 - Granada › Roquetas de Mar
    « Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 08:38 »
    https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20180829_03689899

Twenty second time penalty for the new race leader after taking water in the last 10km.

Bouhanni got fined as well. Some confusion as to whether to it was for arguing with his own DS and punching the car or a sticky bottle.
  • ReplyReply

•