collapse

search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 13031
  • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Stage 6 - Huércal-Overa › San Javier. Mar Menor
« on: August 30, 2018, 08:54 »
Stage 6 - Huércal-Overa › San Javier. Mar Menor

Pretty flat for Vuelta standards, and into a headwind most of the day:

Crosswinds are possible in the finale though, so echelons may spice things up a bit. More about it can be found in Jamie Haughey's stage preview.

But a sprint still looks like the most likely outcome I guess. The finish is completely flat, and not overly technical:

• ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    dead last yesterday, first today! #cofidis Nacer is back :cool

and an entertaining finish of the stage it was, with the wind coming into play with ~25k to go.

The list of casualties sees names as #sunweb Kelderman (with an unfortunalte mechanical), #fdj Pinot, #dimension Meintjes and #bmc Roche all losing 1:44. And #bora Majka even 3:05
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3315
    I love watching crosswinds racing!  :cool

#sunweb Kelderman again with problems at crucial moment, it seems like his trademark now.

but...this was damned ugly racecourse safety negligence and the Vuelta organizers should be fined:

https://twitter.com/flobikes/status/1035193487182856192
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    yeah, that really should not happen. Same as barriers flying around at the finish by the way, caused by helicopters...

https://twitter.com/rushverde/status/1035213057805492224
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3016
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
     What should have been a straightforward sprint stage turned into GC minefield by a piece of shockingly bad course management.
    To add insult to injury, the wind finally blows from the right direction, leaving the hampered riders cruelly exposed.
    The icing on the Spanish cock up cake being the heli-blown barrier block.
    The ASO not covering themselves in glory, this GT season.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

search

• World Champion
    To add insult to injury, the wind finally blows from the right direction, leaving the hampered riders cruelly exposed.

don't you think it would have split anyway?! Sure, Felline and Campenaerts were taken out by the bollards, but in general, personally I saw this more as gaps resulting from the wind than the crash.

Although Dimension Data's press release about the day even states "The peloton, being led by Team Sky, had turned up the speed at the front though, as they looked to profit from the misfortune of those affected by the crash" - which is total bullsh*t imo. The race was full on at that point, and surely not because Little Louis and friends were dangling at the very back
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3016
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    don't you think it would have split anyway?! Sure, Felline and Campenaerts were taken out by the bollards, but in general, personally I saw this more as gaps resulting from the wind than the crash.

Although Dimension Data's press release about the day even states "The peloton, being led by Team Sky, had turned up the speed at the front though, as they looked to profit from the misfortune of those affected by the crash" - which is total bullsh*t imo. The race was full on at that point, and surely not because Little Louis and friends were dangling at the very back

Sure, but with the split caused before the wind, it meant that any riders making there way towards the front had no chance.
    I like to see a bit of frantic scrambling from the handful of stronger riders, who get caught behind for whatever reason.
    Was Majka originally in the front group and did we see him stopped on the roadside, taking a team mate's wheel?
    Is that why Bora stopped driving, I wonder?
    Which leads me to DD's PR:  I counted 4 teams across the road, driving the front group alone. Looks as if the teams are also blaming Sky for everything as well. :D
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    Was Majka originally in the front group and did we see him stopped on the roadside, taking a team mate's wheel?
    Is that why Bora stopped driving, I wonder?

could be the reason, yeah. He had a mechanical at least, according to his Facebook post:

(gt) "I'm disappointed, I was in the first group when the peloton split and I caught a gum, I was left behind Kelderman and it was impossible to make it myself, I am so peeed off that I felt really good and I did not have to lose general, to fight for high positions with Emanuel Buchmann. It is difficult to say, that is sport, and now I will do my best to work for our leader. "

Honestly I think the people at Bora will not be too unhappy about this though. It makes things a bit easier, as Majka was supposed to be here as a domestique anyway, which was unlikely to happen with him still up there in GC.
  • ReplyReply

•