collapse

search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 13031
  • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Stage 7 - Puerto Lumbreras › Pozo Alcón
« on: August 30, 2018, 13:30 »
Stage 7 - Puerto Lumbreras › Pozo Alcón

On Friday the race continues with another Vuelta type flat stage with 2500m of altitude

This time also with quite a challenging finale though. The "Alto de Cael" should thin out the bunch nicely with less than 15k to go...

...before they reach the long uphill drag to the line:

Here is also an interactive profile of the finish, via @raffilpt:

This looks likely to be too tough for any sprint team to be confident enough to chase down a potential big breakaway group... but who knows. Maybe it could be a good chance for #sky Kwiatkowski's first victory in a Grand Tour?!
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1285
    ...Maybe it could be a good chance for #sky Kwiatkowski's first victory in a Grand Tour?!

I hope so, but Valverde has looked sharper so far.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    I hope so, but Valverde has looked sharper so far.

indeed, the flatter type of finish may play more into Kwiatkowski's hands though?

And this could also be a stage for Sagan of course, if he's anywhere close to top shape yet again
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    more profiles :D

Parts of that 1.8k 7.9% Muro de Hinojares are on super narrow roads through the town
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1623
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    Apparently those weren't the only narrow roads.
    https://www.velonews.com/2018/08/vuelta-a-espana/really-really-bad-roads-cause-chaos-in-vuelta-stage-7_477522

The final 15km, some even calling the roads "gravel".  I get what the teams are complaining about, but FFS, doesn't anybody do stage previews for the teams?

Maybe I could make a new business model. Drive EACH and EVERY stage of a GT and make copious notes about road conditions and possible issues. And charge the teams for the previews.

Hey, Lukas, know anybody might be interested in pre-riding a GT's roads? And writing up usable reports? Next step - and the most important one - get the teams to pay for the preview.

I'm actually surprised that anybody was surprised at the road conditions. That just seems like basic homework to me, when it comes to a major annual event.
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1623
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    indeed, the flatter type of finish may play more into Kwiatkowski's hands though?

And this could also be a stage for Sagan of course, if he's anywhere close to top shape yet again
    Sagan - you were almost right. Sagan got his traditional (by now) 2nd place, behind an amazing breakaway effort by Gallopin' Gallopin.

I have to say, I think this has been the best opening week of the 3 GTs this year! Lots of fun!
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7508
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Re: Stage 7 - Puerto Lumbreras › Pozo Alcón
    « Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 18:28 »
    The final 15km, some even calling the roads "gravel".  I get what the teams are complaining about, but FFS, doesn't anybody do stage previews for the teams?

Maybe I could make a new business model. Drive EACH and EVERY stage of a GT and make copious notes about road conditions and possible issues. And charge the teams for the previews.

Hey, Lukas, know anybody might be interested in pre-riding a GT's roads? And writing up usable reports? Next step - and the most important one - get the teams to pay for the preview.

I'm actually surprised that anybody was surprised at the road conditions. That just seems like basic homework to me, when it comes to a major annual event.
    Yes. So much yes.

Normally, teams do do this. Not only for GTs, but for whichever races are important for them.
    I know for a fact that #waoo had two DSs at the Tour of Denmark: One to drive 15-30 minutes ahead of the race and report on road conditions, wind direction etc., one to drive the car in the race convoy. Plus Bjarne Riis on the passenger seat to call the shots for when to form echelons. It worked very well for them, they split the race on the stages to Vordingborg and Frederiksberg, but things came back together in the end.

However, there is an important qualification in the paragraph above: Teams do this for races that are important for them.
    Some riders and teams have been preparing for the Vuelta ... but for many, it's simply that last GT you have to get through before the stage race season is finally over.

Your business model sounds great to me - but it depends on teams wanting to pay for that information. That said, if and when you ever want to turn it into reality, hit me up! If teams aren't interested (enough), this could be a niche for races - have someone with fresh eyes (i.e., not the people that plotted the course) take a look at the race, point out pinch points and do proper previews from first-hand knowledge of the course.

Quote from: Velonews article
    “It would have been nice if they swept the road,” said Dan Martin (UAE Team Emirates).
    Some nice understatement from Cousin Dan there.
    Sweeping the road ahead of a race is a flipping basic thing. This is simply shoddy, extremely careless organisation. :fp
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean