collapse

M Gee

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1639
  • The user formerly known as hiero
Vuelta, Stage 11: Mombuey --> Luintra (Ribeira Sacra)
« on: September 04, 2018, 03:08 »
Mombuey! Population 434! SAAAALUTE!  :cool

Mombuey: They've got "The" grocery, "The" post office, "The" laundromat, "The" gas station - and 4 bars! :beer

Can you say "lumpy"? Because that is what we have today! We travel from Castile y Leon into provincia Galicia.

Our finish today, in Luintra is at the center of a sacred destination: Ribeira Sacra.
Through lands of wine and prayer
The area is probably known as “Ribeira Sacra”, owing to the large number of religious buildings found here. There are 18 monasteries open to visitors, including Monforte de Lemos, and San Estevo de Ribas de Sil, now converted into a Parador.

This county is located between the rivers Sil and Miño, the natural boundary between the provinces of Ourense and Lugo. The county capital, established by agreement, is Monforte de Lemos (Lugo). The Ribeira Sacra, famous for its cultural treasures, high biodiversity and wines with denomination of origin, encompasses spectacular landscapes and unique ecosystems like Cañones del Sil.

Of course, we will see a BOTD this day. Will they make it all the way? I think they might, as the GC contenders will not look at today to make a difference, and the sprinters will have a difficult time being at the front towards the end.

A quick sampling of the roads, via Google, reveals that we will be using secondary roads, and passing through numerous tiny villages on our way. But, I saw nothing that looked to be selective.
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7717
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Mombuey! Population 434! SAAAALUTE!  :cool

Mombuey: They've got "The" grocery, "The" post office, "The" laundromat, "The" gas station - and 4 bars! :beer
    Sounds like a healthy community! :D
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6788
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    Looks like being a fun stage, this one.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1639
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    Looks like being a fun stage, this one.

You know, it might just be so. Lots of KOM points along the way - somebody could be out there animating things to hoover those points up. And others could be in it for the stage win. I wouldn't be surprised if Valverde takes a last minute break to pick up a few seconds. Or, if there are any bonus seconds anywhere - I'd be looking for them if I were him.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13502
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    here's an interactive profile of the finish, via @raffilpt:

a lot of up and down there :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3250
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
     A lot of this there too. :cool

• ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1823
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    Aru lost 33” today.
  • ReplyReply

• PeteFromLeeds

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 23
    Poor Pinot, really thought he could get himself into the Top 10 there :(
  • ReplyReply
  • edwin in the swimming pool

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3469
    Just finished watching the stage (i have to watch it recorded due to work). Have to give kudos to Pinot for trying so hard but on the other hand, it was bordering stupid continuting to try after all the other squads reeled in him and Mollema. The large group up ahead wouldn't be good for any GC stunts when all the other squads with GC hopes had policement present (a few exceptions: #sunweb and #uae). #fdj burned a lot of energy with Pinot, the same day they lost Preidler. In the longer perspective, this can't be a good idea.

Apart from Pinot's struggles and regardless of the constant up/down left/right this was more much ado about nothing, a very heavily camouflaged Vuelta Transportaciones S.A. stage..

Anybody figured out why #movistar chased when #ef Woods attacked with 3 km to go? Both pointless moves of the day to me...

• ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 517
    • Awards: Quintuple Official Prediction Game Champ (2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019)2019 Giro CQ Game winner
    Aru lost 33” today.

You've been spending to much time on the golf course Joel  ;) ;)
  • ReplyReply

•