collapse

M Gee

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1630
  • The user formerly known as hiero
Vuelta, Stage 14: Cistierna --> Nava (Les Praeres)
« on: September 05, 2018, 03:54 »
This could be a very interesting stage. Lots of room for attacking on the climbs. A total of 5 rated climbs, with 3 being 1st category. Of course, the most likely race will see a one-blow monoclimb on the final summit. BUT, there are opportunities for daring attacks that could make a lot of difference.

There are roads here that Google does not have in their pictures. Like the final climb. There are minor rural byways aplenty. This is a day when somebody from the team should be driving the course in advance. There may be pinch points, surface changes, narrow bridges - whatever! Danger AND opportunity both. The countryside will be green, for a change.

If Contador was riding this stage, I have to think we might have seen another Formigal. Fernando Escartin tips the BOTD for this stage. Ehmmm, MAYBE!  :hitch

The Alto de Colladona, at km 92.6:

The Alto de la Mozqueta, at km 127:

And the finale: short, sharper than a shark's tooth, and vicious, Alto Les Praeres (Nava):
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3316
    ....Yates! This look a lot like stage 15 from the Giro this year? He won that one! (Tolmezzo-Sappada)

But there wasn’t any Valverde competing then...

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6777
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    GC shake-up or damp squib? Time for someone to show their intent. Does look like one for the BOTD though.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13098
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    probably. And a 4k at 13% monster in the end is likely to neglect the chance for any kind of action among the gc favorites before the final climb as well.

In the Giro #15 stage T-72 mentioned it was the other way around, steep climb to attack on early on, then an "easy" finish
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

M Gee

• Road Captain
    GC shake-up or damp squib? Time for someone to show their intent. Does look like one for the BOTD though.
    If everyone is cautious - damp squib. Although maybe Ben King will get in the BOTD - that would raise some eyebrows!

It was hard to locate the roads - the quality of the route map is not good enough - and the roads were that minor.

All the cat 1 climbs are short by GT standards, so I would think whomever wants GC and is NOT in the lead at this point would be wanting to attack early and make a run for it. On the other hand, the #red team should be looking to play Sky, and keep it tamped down until the final climb.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1628
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    The main contenders i.e. Quintana and Superman need to put some time into Izaguirre on this. And get rid of Valverde.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    Got the road book. Just a few km into the start, and they route through the towns, rather than using the main road. The roads look decently wide on a Googly flyby sampling. About 25-30 km they go through a couple of tunnels as they circle a large hydro-electric reservoir. This situation might make it easier for the break, or it might make it harder. I would expect it to make it easier to attack, but harder to actually make a large break stick. And there will be time and opportunity enough to reel in small breaks. There might be pinch points not mentioned in the road book, although I anticipate not.

That takes us back into Asturias as they head north, and pass over the Colladona. Could somebody do a Stage 19 attack, a la Sky, today? I don't think so - the climbs are simply not long enough. We might see a smaller selection of favorites, and if they managed to have a couple of doms up the road - it might work. Not likely in these days with race radios, but you never can tell.

They circle south, on smaller local roads, for La Mozqueta, but the roads still look good, and I see no pinch points to precipitate an attack. The road book warns of ripples and corners on the descent, but on a fly-through it looks ok.

The Alto de la Falla de los Lobos looks more like rolling roads than a dangerous, selective climb. It could be dangerous for a breakaway, though, adding fatigue in the legs.

As they enter Nava, I hope they have repaired the roads. On Google, they are in a severe state of disrepair, with mixed gravel and pavement. I'm sure they'll be fixed - it looked like they were being repaired at the time. At Nava, they turn south, on extremely local roads - narrow, picturesque, you get the idea - and Google runs out of film.

TBH, when I saw the profile of the stage, I was hoping for a bit more selectivity. Given the short, albeit steep, ramps for the climbs today, I think the most likely scenario is another big breakaway. However, the peloton needs to be ready to keep them in check. It could present an opportunity, a la Formigal, but I don't think it is so likely. Most likely scenario: big BOTD, like today, with another one-blow monoclimb attack on the finale from the GC favs.

• ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    The main contenders i.e. Quintana and Superman need to put some time into Izaguirre on this. And get rid of Valverde.

I think there is a third Colombian captain in here that wants a bit of revenge after being tricked on the descent from the Stelvio a couple of years back, but nevertheless #movistar Quintana is the guy for the super steep finishes. He isn't really that good at it, but he is better than the others in the race. Valverde is better at steep only if it is really short. Quintana can keep pushing uphill attacks longer than anyone else in the business this year (ref Tour de Suisse stage to Arosa).

I have to admit, there are many of the supposed GC contenders that have fallen out of contention in a bit of a quiet way, looking at the list now it starts to look like what most thought it would be, minus a few disappointments. It feels kind of strange that 2/3 into the Vuelta the crosswinds have been as decisive as the mountains if not more. Is this the new TdF? What happened to the muritos?

• ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    . . .
    I have to admit, there are many of the supposed GC contenders that have fallen out of contention in a bit of a quiet way, . . .

I was thinking that myself. Porte. Nibali. Aru. Otherwise, everybody is pretty much where you would expect, like you said.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7540
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    I think there is a third Colombian captain in here that wants a bit of revenge after being tricked on the descent from the Stelvio a couple of years back
    Go :rigo! :cheer
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

t-72

• Road Captain
    ....Yates!

:angel

#mitchelton Yates waited for the right moment and then won it like he won so many giro stages, kicking harder to the finish line than anyone else, like a younger Valverde.
    #movistar Quintana showing some minor signs of weakness towards the top after attacking earlier.
    #astana Lopez piggybacked on Quintana's attack and Lopez' unwillingness to take point was one of the reasons why Quintana stopped riding on his attack. However, he was clearly stronger towards the top.
    Big loosers: #sunweb Kelderman, #ef Uran, #uae Aru, #bahrain Izaguirre (his team made the race with Nibali charging hard, but Ion could not really finish it in style).

It isn't really easy to see how this GC pecking order can be flipped over. All the top riders on the list are good climbers and medium on the time trial bike. #movistar Valverde could actually get some time on this bunch - but no one really believes he lasts until Madrid anyway. #ef Uran and #astana Lopez both have amazing time trials on record, but those days seem long gone for both of them. Then it is back to who can climb better, day-out-day-in, still many days to go starting with the Covadonga tomorrow, but right now #mitchelton Yates undeniably holds the upper hand and looks strongest. (Just as he did in the Giro at this point, where it had absolutely no effect on the final GC...)
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by search
    [Today at 07:59]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by Drummer Boy
    [November 16, 2019, 00:36]

Re: Men's Kits 2020 by Drummer Boy
    [November 16, 2019, 00:31]

Re: The Academy of Cycling by Leadbelly
    [November 15, 2019, 19:29]

Re: Men's Kits 2020 by LukasCPH