collapse

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3016
  • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
Mondoñedo > Faro de Estaca de Bares. Mañón 06/09/2018 - Stage 12 - 181km

At 181.1 kilometres, stage 12 in the Vuelta runs from Mondoñedo to Faro de Estaca de Bares, a lighthouse on the north edge of Spain, overlooking the Atlantic. The finale is pepped up by a string of short climbs and narrow roads. So, it is a deceiving stage, that while at first glance seems on for the sprinters, but the rugged Galician terrain will take it's toll and prove difficult for teams to control.

Departure place Mondoñedo is situated in the northern outliers of the Cantabrian Mountains. In a valley to be precise, and shortly after the start the riders tackle the 3rd category ascent of the Alto de Cadeira – 5.8 kilometres at 6.5%. It’s a good spot to launch an attack. The summit peaks at merely 435 metres, yet this is the highest point of today’s route.
 ollowing the descent the route continues on rolling roads along the Galician coast – as rugged as enchanting – to turn inland in Porto do Barqueiro. At kilometre 124 the Alto de San Pedro appears. The first 3 kilometres go up at 7% – and feature 300 metres with double digit gradients – before a short drop leads to the less steep second part. The Alto de San Pedro amounts to 7.4 kilometres, while its average gradient is 4.9%.
Some 31 kilometres before the line a 2.9 kilometres hill at 6% sets the tone for the finale, as a string of short climbs mark the last 20 kilometres. Basically, the route heads from one hill to the next – 1 kilometre at 4.5% (with 18.4 kilometres left), 2.8 kilometres at 5% (14.2 kilometres left), 2.4 kilometres at 4.6% (9.2 kilometres left), 1.7 kilometres at 3.5% (5.2 kilometres left), and 1.2 kilometres at 2.6% (3.2 kilometres left).

La Vuelta once again moves through Porto do Barqueiro before the roads start to become more narrow in the last 7 kilometres and even tighter 1.5 kilometres before the line. Obviously, this is good news for attackers, as it will be hard to chase them down on alley-wide roads. The finish is at Faro de Estaca de Bares, the northernmost part of Spain.

The finale is further pepped up by a 1.2 kilometres drop with 2.6 kilometres to go before a 400 metres uphill kick at 2.8% runs to the last kilometre. These are slightly descending at 3%.

Video of the final 5kms.

Finish details.

Favourites 12th stage 2018 Vuelta a España

:*:*:*:* Thomas De Gendt, Mark Padun, Rohan Dennis, Michael Woods
:*:*:* Vincenzo Nibali, David Formolo, Teo Geoghegan Hart, Pello Bilbao
:*:* Wilco Kelderman, Simon Yates, Alejandro Valverde, Valerio Conti
:* Peter Sagan, Iván García, Lukas Pöstlberger, Michal Kwiatkowski

Mondoñedo
Unprecedented departure

3,722 inhabitants

Lugo Province

Mondoñedo is an unprecedented La Vuelta departure. The Lugo municipality took on particular historical relevance in the late Middle Ages as it was the setting of the Galicia succession of power battle between Galicians and Castilians. An episode in which the marshal Pardo de Cela, a historical figure who died in the very Praza da Catedral that the peloton will pass through during La Vuelta, was the protagonist.
Mondoñedo is a universe full of valleys and mountains, located in A Mariña Lucense, where the Northern Way of Saint James passes through.
The city, episcopal see and ancient capital of one of Galicia’s historical provinces, reflects its importance in a small city with a lot of personality, with its epicentre in the Plaza de la Catedral.

Faro de Estaca de Bares. Mañón
Unprecedented Vuelta finale

1,391 inhabitants

A Coruña Province
Estaca de Bares, in the municipality of Mañón, is the Northernmost point of the Iberian peninsula. The Coruña cape, the natural area where mountains, rivers and the sea come together, is an unprecedented La Vuelta finish-line. The waters of the Sor River converge with those of the Atlantic Ocean and of the Cantabrian Sea, which are separated by this natural setting where visitors can practice a multitude of water sports or walk along its numerous hiking trails.
The municipality of Mañón forms a long, narrow stretch of land that, harmoniously, combines mountains, river and sea. It is the sweet water of the Sor River that flows from South to North in this land, making it the connecting thread that links the Faladora Mountain Range with the sea, that join, at the Estaca de Bares Cape, the Cantabrian and Atlantic seas.

• ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13031
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    thanks for the great profile, should be fun to watch. Here is another profile of the finale

As it's supposedly Sagan's last day in the race, I'd tend tend to give him more than one star though
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    thanks for the great profile, should be fun to watch. Here is another profile of the finale

As it's supposedly Sagan's last day in the race, I'd tend tend to give him more than one star though

Thanks, but I failed to find any profiles of the earlier climbs.
    Stage 12 and it's Sagan's last day in the race? I didn't know that.
    Given the nature of this year's worlds, does this signal the start of and old school, Vuelta exodus of the faux GC contenders as well?
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Thanks, but I failed to find any profiles of the earlier climbs.
    Stage 12 and it's Sagan's last day in the race? I didn't know that.
    Given the nature of this year's worlds, does this signal the start of and old school, Vuelta exodus of the faux GC contenders as well?

okay, maybe it's not ;). We will see I guess

https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1037272132705820672

The other profiles are on la-flamme-rouge

Alto de San Pedro (131k)

Devesos (150k)

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    Video of the final 5kms.

any idea if they got new roads or not?! :lol

• ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
     And there is forecast to be a biting headwind. :D
    Good luck sprint trains! :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    Not the best video of the crash after the finish, but it will do for now..

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 20:40 by LukasCPH, Reason: fixed YT link »

search

• World Champion
    looked like a nice finish for some gc action... maybe next time ;)
  • ReplyReply

• PeteFromLeeds

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 23
    Great day for Herrada! Don't think anyone saw a 3 minute lead in GC coming but they were happy to let him have it. Will be interesting to see how far he falls (if at all) tomorrow.
  • ReplyReply
  • edwin in the swimming pool

rote_laterne

• Domestique
    • Liked: 253
    • Awards: 2019 Tour CQ Game winner

M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1623
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    looked like a nice finish for some gc action... maybe next time ;)
    Great day for Herrada! Don't think anyone saw a 3 minute lead in GC coming but they were happy to let him have it. Will be interesting to see how far he falls (if at all) tomorrow.

Hehe! Search, you got your wish - GC action. You know, I didn't recognize Herrada's name when I was watching - but we know this guy! But only as a strong dom, in the past. Jesus Herrada, formerly of Movistar! It seems to me that he could be strong enough to surprise a few people! We will quickly see whether yes or no. I don't think he's ever had a leading role before. He didn't get as much time as Tommy Voelkler got against Lance - but we are deeper in the race, and we don't have any LA's here. Then there was Arroyo and Basso - but I don't really think Arroyo was quite the same quality either. Meh, we will see!
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3315
    That accident behind the finish line though,  is it second or third time this Vuelta something really stupid like this happens?
    These organizers should be sanctioned somehow...the riders are handed tickets for minor infractions but this could throw racers out of the event and make them miss the rest of the season. WTF was that guy doing running there. :S
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3533
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    So where there two separate crashes with riders and officials? There seemed to be overhead footage of a second crash further up near the side of the road.
    :slow
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3315
    3 or 4 crashes  :fp

Geniez crashes into stupid guy running, then into 2 people further up the road.
    Van Barle crashes into the stupid guy after Geniez halfway clears him, and goes over the handlebars.
    Someone else piler on top of that.

:fp :fp
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/there-could-easily-have-been-carnage-on-goattrack-finish-37291807.html

"We have a three-hour transfer to our next hotel now, which means that after four and a half hours of racing we will be travelling in the team bus for an hour longer than we've been on our bikes today."

:slow :D

edit: okay, seems like I missed this part earlier on ;)

An early wake-up call this morning for the two-and-a-half-hour transfer to the start saw my legs remind me of yesterday's efforts as soon as I got out of bed.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 09:26 by search »

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7508
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    It's the inofficial Vuelta slogan: ;)
    "Stop complaining about our shoddy organisation, you suckers! Shut up and race your bikes!"
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

M Gee

• Road Captain
    . . . WTF was that guy doing running there. :S

In the vid MV linked (the only vid I've seen of the event), it appears that this man somehow got himself caught in the finish area at the wrong time - when the riders were finishing. He was running away from the finish line, apparently trying to get out of the riders way. But he was somewhat overweight, and slow. He ended up being in the worst possible location when the intersection of paths occurred. TKO was about right! :D

He would have been better off jamming himself into a corner of the finish area, up against the barriers, a la Pamplona. But that would have required thought. :lol
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    In the vid MV linked (the only vid I've seen of the event), it appears that this man somehow got himself caught in the finish area at the wrong time - when the riders were finishing.

yeah, it's actually a Vuelta media official, responsible for organizing the photographers at the finish. Seems like it took him too long to do so yesterday, and he couldn't get out of the way on time anymore...

It's unfortunate, but on such narrow roads it can happen, I think. If there's anyone to blame, it's probably the organization, not the person himself, just trying to do his job under difficult circumstances. And they already apologized to the teams, by the way.
  • ReplyReply

• ciranda

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 235
    The official resigned because he was so sorry for the crash, according to Guillen.

Favorite. Not strongest but still best.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 18:59 by ciranda »

M Gee

• Road Captain
    The official resigned because he was so sorry for the crash, according to Guillen.

. . .

Actually, I feel a bit bad, for making fun of him. Just not bad enough to take it down! I do have to hope he is alright, as well as the riders. I think he could have gotten a nasty blow there - that elbow!
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion