collapse

M Gee

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1422
  • The user formerly known as hiero
Vuelta, Stage 16: Santillana del Mar > Torrelavega
« on: September 06, 2018, 17:11 »
The time trial! If Froome or Dumoulin were here, we would be looking at them! I believe this is truly a course that favors pure time-trialing. Wide, clear roads, with very few radical turns, only the occasional roundabout, and flat. It finishes at Complejo deportivo Oscar Freire: The Oscar Freire sports complex! At approximately 800 meters from the finish there is a 180' u-turn as they enter the sports complex. A 90' right-hander about 2-300 m from the line, then straight to the finish line.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 16:53 by M Gee »
    . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11178
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    looks fairly straight forward for a time trial in the Vuelta - but it certainly comes with a bit more climbing than what it looks like in the official profile

With 490m of altitude differences, the numbers are comparable for example with the one in this year's Tour or the first one from the 2017 Giro (although shorter now).

The biggest climb is the one in the middle:

So it's not steep, but enough to break the rhythm.

The ~pdf startlist is available here.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 19:21 by search »
    "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

ciranda

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 211
    Torrelavega is where this guy is from.

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    and Juanjo Cobo! :P
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2630
    Actually this is going to be a very interesting time trial
    I fear that the stage win will be gone already  before they turn on the cameras, to either
    #lotto Campanaerts or #bmc Dennis, but in between the GC riders - who's to say what is going to happen.

#movistar #champes Valverde is the more reliable ITT performer
    but, this is the real but ... which #astana Lopez is here?
    There is the guy who lost mucho time in the Giro time trial, and the other one who beat Cancellara (!!!! yes, Cancellara C-a-n-c-e-l-l-a-r-a) in f#"¤"#¤  Tour de Suisse!

Lopez' best stage to date ?
    Behind we can also see #sunweb Kelderman, #sky Thomas, #sky Castroviejo, #ccc Bodnar and a few other more than decent time trialists. However, I I fear it is going to be the first guy, the one who lost time in the giro that is here.in which case he might justaswell wave bye bye to the ugly wheel-like dinner plate trophy.

#movistar Quintana, #mitchelton Yates, #jumbo Kruijswijk are all climbers that can do good time trials -  but I don't think they will score >30 secs on important opponents.

https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/1039254761416081409
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 22:22 by t-72, Reason: J -> j »

search

• World Champion
    I fear that the stage win will be gone already  before they turn on the cameras, to either
    #lotto Campanaerts or #bmc Dennis

basically all good results Campenaerts has are from early-stage or one day races.

Only 11th in the Giro this year, 5th two years ago in the Vuelta. And now he is also still suffering a bit from the crash a couple of days ago. The competition is not super strong, and he looked really good so far in the road stages, but I would be surprised if he really is able to contend for the win.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    anything to expect from #bmc Little Richie?! Yesterday the whole BMC team did a recon of the course, but on Strava I just saw that he did another one this morning. So either Dennis needed some company, or he wants to give it a go, I guess...
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3901
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    cant see anything good from Richie here.  though he really has nothing to lose by giving it his all ... still, he hasnt the form
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    Aha, so -- according to search and Porte, I got the "flat" part wrong -- that's what one gets for relying on published profiles and Google maps.

It's a bit bumpy.
    The BMC Racing Team Australian stars Rohan Dennis and Richie Porte went to reconnoitre the course together this morning. Porte commented: "You get a Rohan Dennis course, down to the ground. Any course is a Rohan Dennis course at the moment. He's on great form. He's obviously very motivated for this stage. He's the favourite. It's quite bumpy but it's fast. It's a nice time trial. I believe it'll be won in the high 40's (km/h). It's pretty hilly there with about 500 metres of climbing. That'll make it hard to reach 50km/h average. The start is for sure the hardest part."
    Rohan Dennis will start at 15:10 and Richie Porte at 15:32.
    Jonathan Castroviejo (Team Sky), another contender for todays' stage, starts at 15.07.
    from lavuelta.es commentary.

Also, notice it would seem like BMC is tipping Dennis for the stage, over Porte - to address the question posted above.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    Actually this is going to be a very interesting time trial
    #lotto Campanaerts or #bmc Dennis, but in between the GC riders - who's to say what is going to happen.

#movistar #champes Valverde is the more reliable ITT performer
    but, this is the real but ... which #astana Lopez is here?
    There is the guy who lost mucho time in the Giro time trial, and the other one who beat Cancellara (!!!! yes, Cancellara C-a-n-c-e-l-l-a-r-a) in f#"¤"#¤  Tour de Suisse!

Lopez' best stage to date ?
    Behind we can also see #sunweb Kelderman, #sky Thomas, #sky Castroviejo, #ccc Bodnar and a few other more than decent time trialists. However, I I fear it is going to be the first guy, the one who lost time in the giro that is here.in which case he might justaswell wave bye bye to the ugly wheel-like dinner plate trophy.

#movistar Quintana, #mitchelton Yates, #jumbo Kruijswijk are all climbers that can do good time trials -  but I don't think they will score >30 secs on important opponents.

https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/1039254761416081409

Lopez comes off quite the worst in that little comparison, eh?

I like Valverde. He attacks. He leaves it on the road. He doesn't win, or lose, by not trying. He is explosive. He is good-tempered, and good with the fans and the press. He is also old, and thus,  my internal skeptic lives, and snark ensues:
    Spoiler (hover to show)
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2630
     SA man winner:

Surprisingly good ride with an extremely hard start by #jumbo Kruijswick, even if he clearly faded towards the end. Wonder what that is going to cost him in days to come.
    Also a very good ride by #mitchelton #red Simon Yates. Now he really starts to look like the next Grand Tour winner. I guess it is only #jumbo Kruijswijk and #quickstep Mas that can get him that doesn't already have a red jersey #red in the their wardrobe.

I am very disappointed by the Colombian time trial performances, or I still don't get how they pulled of their amazing rides in the past.  :S Now they are loosing mucho time all of them, just as we'd expect if we hadn't seen #ef Uran in the vineyards timetrial in the giro 2014, where he won by 1:14, or#astana  Lopez in the Tour de Suisse. I actually think #movistar Quintana was the closer to his own personal best - but that isn't good enough here. GC riders need to practice on the that ugly bike too.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    SA man winner:

Surprisingly good ride with an extremely hard start by #jumbo Kruijswick, even if he clearly faded towards the end. Wonder what that is going to cost him in days to come.
    Also a very good ride by #mitchelton #red Simon Yates. Now he really starts to look like the next Grand Tour winner. . .

Massive disappointment with the Columbians aside, I think Yates has just put himself odds-on favorite to be in red in Madrid. Kruiswijk was magnificent, even if he did make a major pacing mistake.
  • ReplyReply

• PeteFromLeeds

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 11
    Great to see Yates extend his lead in red, Mas was a surprise there as well and most certainly a contender for the podium in Madrid.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: World Championships 2018 by t-72
    [September 25, 2018, 22:50]

Re: UCI Road Map For Cycling by LukasCPH
    [September 25, 2018, 22:02]

Re: World Championships 2018 by Leadbelly
    [September 25, 2018, 20:45]

Re: UCI Road Map For Cycling by Leadbelly
    [September 25, 2018, 20:16]

Re: World Championships 2018 by Carlo Algatrensig