collapse

rote_laterne

• Domestique
  • Liked: 253
  • Awards: 2019 Tour CQ Game winner
Stage 13  »  Candás. Carreño  ›  Valle de Sabero. La Camperona   (174.8k)

This is the stage the action for the  #red should start. It's very likely that the BOTD forms right after the neutralized zone as the first  #vkom points wait after 21 km (Alto de la Madera, 7 kilometer at 3,5 %). After another this time uncategorized bump the route steadily rises to the first category mountain Puerto de Tarna (13 kilometer at 5,8 %) with a maximum gradient of 7,5 % between km 5 and 6. The stage finishes on top of the Alto de la Camperona (8,3 kilometer at 7,5 %). The last two kilometers have gradients of more than 10 %. 19,5 % around 2 km before the finish line and this is where the GC action will start. Just after the flamme rouge it levels out to "only" 11,87 %.

Past winners: 2016 Lagutin Sergey, 2014 Hesjedal Ryder.

What to expect: Maté Luis Angel, Rolland and Mollema in the BOTD, Yates S., Valverde, Quintana, Uran, Lopez Miguel Angel, Kruijswijk, Bennett George and Izagirre Ion to battle for the stage.

2016 Quintana attacks for the  #red

Classification leaders after stage 12:
 #red Herrada Jesus
 #vkom Maté Luis Angel
 #green  #white Valverde
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13031
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    with the flattish start and Cofidis holding the jersey, I smell another 2016 like scenario with a breakaway of strongmen fighting for the victory on 15% slopes... can anyone top #gazprom Sergey Lagutin as the most bizarre winner?
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3315
    with the flattish start and Cofidis holding the jersey, I smell another 2016 like scenario with a breakaway of strongmen fighting for the victory on 15% slopes... can anyone top #gazprom Sergey Lagutin as the most bizarre winner?

Yep, hypothetically that is possible, if #cofidis Herrada gets into the breakaway once again and Walkoviaks the Vuelta. I had already forgotten about Lagutin's bizarre win,  but if the whole Vuelta goes to the breakaway we will be talking about it tens of years from now!  :D
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    well, that year we had also Bertjan Lindeman winning a mountain stage - a repeat of that would be nice as well :D

I'll go for Luxembourg though. #ag2r Ben Gastauer will most definitely take it
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7508
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    *er #didata Amanuel Gebreigzabhier! :D
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1623
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    *er #didata Amanuel Gebreigzabhier! :D

Gezundheit!

I can get the first name - I'm sure I would embarrass myself even attempting to pronounce his surname. Although if I heard it - done right - it might be easy enough. After all, I eventually got Siutsou, even with a Slavic twang!

BTW - rote_laterne predicted an early break today. I have to think it will be like yesterday or day before - a hard race before they let the break go. But, even as I write this, they are at km 10 and an early break exists. They are certainly throwing attacks out there to make the BOTD!
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

search

• World Champion
    well, we definitely did get a "bit" of a surprising winner in the end - although not in the way I expected it to happen

:broccoli

In the gc battle, #movistar Quintana, #mitchelton Yates and #quickstep Mas gained a handful of seconds while #jumbo Bennett dropped out of contention- #astana Lopez may have been able to stay with the best if not for an unfortunate mechanical at the wrong time
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3016
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
     Not sure whether he was just disappointed, immediately after finishing second, but Rafal Majka's post stage comments to Eurosport were reminiscent of a Kevin Seeldraeyers interview, after a certain stage in the Tour of Turkey....
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1621
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    Not sure whether he was just disappointed, immediately after finishing second, but Rafal Majka's post stage comments to Eurosport were reminiscent of a Kevin Seeldraeyers interview, after a certain stage in the Tour of Turkey....

To be fair to the guy he did come 3rd in a stage in the Volta a Alentejo.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    28th last Sunday on the other mountain top finish, ~2 minutes behind Lopez, just ahead of Majka and Zakarin as well. So it remained pretty much unnoticed (by me as well), but on that climbing level, a win from a breakaway isn't toally unreasonable
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain

To be fair to the guy he did come 3rd in a stage in the Volta a Alentejo.

And he won the mountain jersey in the Tour of the Alpes. That means he can get a hill quite fast now and then, but Majka used to be good at that too :)
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion

in Roche's blog, it sounds like it took him a while to calm down again - if at all ;)

While putting a jacket on at the top, I found out that Dylan had been clear with Rafal Majka of Bora in the last kilometre, only for unknown 23-year-old Basque stage winner Oscar Rodriguez of Euskadi to catch them and take 20 seconds out of them in the last 500m, with Rafal Majka second and Dylan improving on yesterday’s placing again to get third on the stage.

With a warm jacket on, I rode back down with Rafal; a former team-mate and good friend, but he was so angry at losing the stage that as he explained what happened in Italian, French rider Tony Gallopin, another friend, intervened because he thought we were having an argument.

It’s been that sort of a day.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4020
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    while its nice having a Basque rider win ... I understand some of the frustration.  The Vuelta has a bit of history of unknowns coming out of hte woodwork and winning in less than clear circumstances.

(Note - I am not casting suspicion on this rider - I know nothing about him.  But the history of the Vuelta makes people suspicious, which is sad for him and sad for the other riders too)
  • ReplyReply

• PeteFromLeeds

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 23
    I'm really happy to see Rodriguez win, always nice to see the underdog take it especially for a team in their first Vuelta. Nice to see Herrada stay in red but looks like it's hotting up below!
  • ReplyReply
  • edwin in the swimming pool

rote_laterne

• Domestique
    • Liked: 253
    • Awards: 2019 Tour CQ Game winner

You nailed it.

• ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1621
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015

t-72

• Road Captain
    while its nice having a Basque rider win ... I understand some of the frustration.  The Vuelta has a bit of history of unknowns coming out of hte woodwork and winning in less than clear circumstances.

(Note - I am not casting suspicion on this rider - I know nothing about him.  But the history of the Vuelta makes people suspicious, which is sad for him and sad for the other riders too)

If not you, then at least a few others do cast suspicion on this young rider, and that`s ok, great performances should merit inspection. However, what I feel is often lacking, is the evaluation of the riders #euskadi Rodriguez had to beat, in order to win the race: First, write off all the riders in the GC group, those were not Rodriguez` problem yesterday. Second, write off all the riders that were essentially domestiques in the mega-breakaway group. Consider only those that were set up for the stage win by their teammates:  #bora Majka, #bmc Teuns and #lotto Lambrechts. Also consider that time gaps tend to get bigger than normal on this climb because it is super-steep all the way almost right to the finish line: go into the red, and you can’t come back!
    We saw #didata Kudus, then Majka and  Teuns try too hard too early, and then comes Rodriguez leaving the others behind, without visible accelration. 
    Too my eyes, he might just have won it because he brought his head along for the ride and stayed cool, while the others overheated in the middle part of the climb. Perhaps he has been up the hill more recently than his competitors and had a better understanding of what it would take to not overstep his limits on the over-steep inclinations?
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3016
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    in Roche's blog, it sounds like it took him a while to calm down again - if at all ;)

I see he has earned his own thread in another place which we shall not name. :lol

In Rodriguez's defence, it did look as if he measured his effort better, given how far back he came from.
    He did take 20 seconds out of Majka in 500 metres, but that wasn't an ordinary half a km.
    What I'd like to know is just how much faster he climbed those last 3kms.

So far I am batting 100%,  having only made one definitely dodgy call and that was Gonzalo Najar at San Juan. :D
    I guess, for now, it remains just a bit of a mysterious anomaly and keep an eye on UCI press releases in a couple of months.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 12:06 by Mellow Velo »

Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 446
    • Awards: 2019 Giro CQ Game winner2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 Official Prediction Game Champ2018 Tour Prediction Champ2018 Vuelta Prediction Champ2018 Giro Prediction Champ

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7508
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    So far I am batting 100%,  having only made one definitely dodgy call and that was Gonzalo Najar at San Juan. :D
    That one was an open goal. :lol
  • ReplyReply

•