collapse

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 2798
  • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
Ejea de los Caballeros > Lleida 13/09/2018 - Stage 18 - 186,1 km

Hard to motivate myself for this one, but I have the odd sensation that everybody will feel the same, about this coming smack bang in the middle of week 3.

Stage 18 in the Vuelta a España travels from Ejea de los Caballeros to Lleida. Amounting to 186.1 kilometres, the route is tailor made for fast finishers.
 Zero ascents in a race of over 180 kilometres. Are we talking La Vuelta here? Yes, we are. Some false flats and a number of rolling sections – that’s it.

Three years ago, the Spanish Grand Tour visited Lleida after a few days of hard climbing in Andorra. Now it’s the exact opposite. In the 19th stage the Vuelta a España sets out to Andorra for the last two mountain stages. In 2015, Danny van Poppel won the sprint in Lleida, finishing ahead of Daryl Impey and Tosh Van der Sande.
Fast finishers in this year’s 18th stage should keep in mind that a false flat of 500 metres begins with 700 metres out. The last 200 metres are flat.

Video of the final 5kms.

Finish details.

Favourites 18th stage 2019 Vuelta a España

:*:*:*:*:* Elia Viviani
:*:*:*:* Peter Sagan
:*:*:* Danny van Poppel
:*:* Simone Consonni, Giacomo Nizzolo, Max Walscheid
:* Matteo Trentin, Michael Schwarzmann, Ryan Gibbons

Ejea de los Caballeros
Unprecedented departure

16,596 inhabitants

La Vuelta departs from the Aragon municipality of Ejea de los Caballeros for the first time. Its tower, its church-fortress and its walls, the result of a territorial dispute between Muslims and Christians in Medieval times, will send the peloton off towards the Pyrenees. The locality has cycling in its blood and has been organising the “Educating with Cycling” days for the past three years, that bring together cycling personalities to discuss the best ways in which to transmit this sport's values.
Ejea is a city with a long and rich history. Capital of Cinco Villas, it is one of the regions with the most cultural and natural heritage in the Province of Zaragoza. It has two Romanesque churches - Santa María and El Salvador - and a Baroque one - Virgen de la Oliva -. All three are cocooned within a historical centre where it is a pleasure to stroll and see the ancient mansions.

Lleida
16 La Vuelta stages have had finales in Lleida

138,144 inhabitants

Lleida Province

Lleida is one of La Vuelta's “sprinter territories”. In the past decade, two stages have ended in what is known as the capital of inland Catalonia and two first-class names have added Lleida to their list of achievements: Mark Cavendish, winner of 30 Tour de France stages and Danny Van Poppel, son of the legendary Dutch sprinter, Jean Paul Van Poppel.
Lleida is the capital of Catalonia’s interior. It is a city that projects itself to Europe and to the rest of the world as a cultural and sporting epicentre that La Vuelta’s passage, yet again, comes to reinforce. Lleida is also a reference city in one of the continent’s main food production and exporting areas.

• ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3189
    Checked two weather forecast services: only light winds < 10 m/s direction from South or Southwest. If it becomes from the Southwest and intensifies a bit....

yea. wishful thinking  :-x

(the landscape is very open, there is no shelter from the wind - but just like when the Giro crosses the Po plain: it doesn't help if it is expose, if it is in a location where there very seldom is any wind to speak of.  :angry )

#quickstep Viviani gets another one.....
  • ReplyReply

• Amazinmets73

• Coach Potato
    • Liked: 2
    Does anyone know the gradient of the rise to the finishing line? Sagan has stated he wants another win in the rainbow jersey and it may be steep enough to tilt the odds in his favor.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 12645
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Does anyone know the gradient of the rise to the finishing line? Sagan has stated he wants another win in the rainbow jersey and it may be steep enough to tilt the odds in his favor.

not at the moment, but the final km (only that though, on from the big roundabout in the video) is exactly the same as in 2015

what a mess of a sprint that was, by the way... :D

edit: didn't find a profile, but it looks like the final ~600m are at 3% average, with something like 400m at ~4% first, then flatter to the line
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 07:09 by search »
    "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7321
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013

Looking at the profile of the final kilometres,

the road rises from 150 m at the flamme rouge to 170 m at the finish. 20 m/1000 m = 2 %.
    That will hardly (if at all) be noticed by the top sprinters.

Of course, a sprint is also decided by positioning etc. - but if Sagan does pip Viviani, it won't be because of the 'uphill' finishing line.

Post Merge: September 13, 2018, 07:15
    not at the moment, but the final km (only that though, on from the big roundabout in the video) is exactly the same as in 2015
    what a mess of a sprint that was, by the way... :D

edit: didn't find a profile, but it looks like the final ~600m are at 3% average, with something like 400m at ~4% first, then flatter to the line
    Oh my. :lol

A tired peloton, at the end of a long season, absolutely split to pieces by something the sprint trains would roll over as if weren't there in the Giro or Tour.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1544
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    Sagan managed to "pip" Viviani - for 3rd place. The peloton kept the botd on a short leash all day, but MISSED the catch! Twenty meters more and it would have been a different ending.
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3080
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3080
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    A perfect summary of the stage from the live chat:

search: yeah... :tumbleweed
    Today at 10:02

search: looks like the break has saved some ernergy at the beginning though
    Today at 10:58

search: maybe there's a small chance to make it, but probably not
    Today at 10:59

search: so, this is getting close indeed...
    Today at 11:08

:P

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/1040257579010727936

:win

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 18:10 by Drummer Boy »

PeteFromLeeds

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 21
    Thrilling stage! Delighted for Wallays defying the odds!
  • ReplyReply
  • edwin in the swimming pool

M Gee

• Road Captain
    BTW - MV - did we actually travel thru time today? 900 years in the future!  :dizzymew :lol
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    I am disappointed Sven Erik #uae didn't win it, but absolutely pleased to see his back in his best form riding the peloton off the rails today! Woohoo!  :cool

This is not to say #lotto Wallays did not deserve his win, on the contrary - it was a fair fight and Bystrøm's weak spot these days seem to be ... anything going upwards whereas Wallays is quite good at that.  Chapeu!

No GC riders with time losses, except #bmc Richie Porte  :P
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Wallays was quite "happy" at the finish, shouting "where are those Quickstep losers now?!" out loudly ;)

the way I understood it, the Quickstep DS made some kind of snarky remark about his breakaway attempt going nowhere at the beginning of the stage - so this was his response after taking the win.

https://sporza.be/nl/2018/09/13/wallays-haalt-na-de-streep-uit-naar-quick-step/

In his daily blog, Monfort says that "Wally had an eye on this stage for a couple of days already. But who would have thought that he could succeed on a stage for sprinters? It was a fabulous effort by him as the speed was enormous in the finale. It's wonderful for the team."

http://www.maxime-monfort.be/v2/news/vuelta-etape-18-6/

• ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    It was a fabulous effort by Monfort as the speed was enormous in the finale. It's wonderful for the team."

I am a biased reviewer but to my eyes, the huge effort was on #uae Bystrøm and the smart tactics were used by #lotto Wallays. All fair and a just victory but wrong to credit Wallays for the lion's share of the work that got him there. He did his part, but Bystrøm's part was simply larger.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    yeah, could very well be, I haven't followed it too closely - and I don't think Monfort did bother to do a detailed analyses of the replay coverage ;)
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    I am a biased reviewer but to my eyes, the huge effort was on #uae Bystrøm and the smart tactics were used by #lotto Wallays. All fair and a just victory but wrong to credit Wallays for the lion's share of the work that got him there. He did his part, but Bystrøm's part was simply larger.
    Absolutely correct. Wallays owes Bystrøm a whole six-pack of beer. Or maybe even a case, or a box of cookies. Bystrøm brought them to the line with a fine effort. If Wallays isn't over at Bystrøm's van tonight, he will lose one fan - me. I know he thinks he did the smart thing - but the smart thing will really be saying thanks.
  • ReplyReply

•