collapse

t-72

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 2658
could the world have been a better place if....
« on: September 12, 2018, 22:48 »
The guy on the right had not been hosting cycling races?

https://twitter.com/RetroSportNorge/status/1039783535178133504
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1473
    In my biography of Eric Vanderaerden, I showed how controversial that 1989 Tour of Trump have been. It looked like anything had been done to make sure that a Seven Eleven rider (namely Dag Otto Lauritzen) could win the race, with Vanderaerden being lead off course during the final ITT.

Besides this seemed to have been the first pro race in which riders used the clip-ons tri-bars, which were prohibited by that time (article 89 of the UCI ruling about the three point rule; if I remember correctly). Dag-Otto Lauritzen used them. Davis Phinney too. Perhaps other 7-eleven riders.

http://velorooms.com/index.php?topic=6647.0

However I'm not sure that Donald J made a lot of profit out of these races, on the contrary I think. Only two editions and he had financial trouble after that.

Edit: Note that I posted my bio before Trump was even a candidate, that's why I don't even mention it.  :D
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 09:24 by Echoes »
    "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 412
    If:.... The Library itself is not an Error 404

However thanks for the nudge on the content there via the link - I am going to savour that at some stage over the weekend - had no idea it was there.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2658
    There are many of us that are a bit suspicious about certain powers entertaining cycling teams, or other sports teams for that matter, hosting events and, some will accuse, using sports as a way to establish credibility for their regimes.
    Live in today's peloton we have #bahrain-merida, #uae, #astana and #academy that all are really backed by regimes that are quite oppressive on their own citizens and/or their neighbors. My favorite example from recent times though is Russia, hosting the olympic games in Sotsji celebrating peace, releasing the white doves while invading the Krim peninsula almost immediately afterwards. Sure #katusha tried hard to make them look like a normal superpower at peace with everyone but...

Question is Trump. Question is cycling. Did 1980's Trump use Tour de Trump to build credibility for his own image as a businessman and a future world leader? Was he already back then using the same strategies as a couple of more despotic regimes to achieve his goals?

One thing I don't expect from this sport is all clean hands, but was the TdT  that dirty?

• ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1453
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    . . .
    Question is Trump. Question is cycling. Did 1980's Trump use Tour de Trump to build credibility for his own image as a businessman and a future world leader? Was he already back then using the same strategies as a couple of more despotic regimes to achieve his goals?

One thing I don't expect from this sport is all clean hands, but was the TdT  that dirty?

Trump? Yes, and yes. The TdT? No. Trump would have had little to do with the day-to-day organization. And, except for the podium girls, there wasn't anybody he would have been tempted to grope with his little hands. No, we can KNOW Trump had little to do with the race organization, as it actually survived for a couple of years.
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

Recent Posts

Re: Men's Kits 2019 by Servais Knavendish
    [December 10, 2018, 16:45]

Re: Men's Kits 2019 by Leadbelly
    [December 10, 2018, 16:27]

Re: Riders & team Twitter tweets (noteworthy and/or frivolous) by Leadbelly
    [December 10, 2018, 14:43]

Re: [2.2] Vuelta al Tachira by Leadbelly
    [December 10, 2018, 12:12]

Re: [2.1] Vuelta a San Juan by Leadbelly
    [December 08, 2018, 14:22]

Re: [2.2] Vuelta al Tachira by Leadbelly