collapse

M Gee

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1422
  • The user formerly known as hiero
Vuelta, Stage 19: Lleida --> Naturlandia (Andorra)
« on: September 13, 2018, 21:09 »
MV can sleep late on this one again. The first 130 km are flat, by Vuelta standards, but rising 700 meters in altitude over that span. If things go the way they have been, the GC boys will let another big break take the stage, with the teams in the peloton only working hard enough to fend off any thoughts in the break of wearing #red. The finale though, is something else. It WILL be a monoclimb, for sure, but will it be a one-blow monoclimb? That is very doubtful, unless Quintana somehow manages to find his lost legs. It is a 17 km climb, averaging 6-7%. The first km is decidedly a kicker and will get things sorted quickly, at 13-15%. After that, it eases out but grinds on and on. There are more than a dozen switchbacks though, so there could be changes in gradient.

So, will Quintana finally show up? Will Nibali get in the break and go for the stage? How about Yates? With this day and the next, this race is not even close to being locked up. However, the long, grinding climb should favor Yates more than Valverde. For #mitchelton and Yates, this whole race comes down to today and tomorrow.

One other thought:
High altitude? Stage 19 finishes at 2026 metres, but is a one-climb stage. And not even a particularly bad one, at that. This is something for the diesels.
 . . .
And what about Enric Mas? He's stealthily climbed his way up . . . a plan for an all-out assault on the red jersey.

If Mas could slip away on this climb, it could pay off for him. I don't think there is a question that he should (and will) attack - but most people will be looking for an attack later, rather than earlier. Just a thought.

• ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11178
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    really not sure what to expect with the gradients easing up in the 2nd part. A full-out early attack by Lopez or Kruijswijk would be nice, but can they hang on against fairly "fresh" domestiques (well, mainly Adam, I guess, after taking over from Haig) chasing behind on a monoclimb stage?! I fear not...

The Volta a Catalunya used to have a MTT up to the Rabassa in the early 2000's... maybe that would have been a better way to spice the race up even more before the final day
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

M Gee

• Road Captain
    really not sure what to expect with the gradients easing up in the 2nd part. A full-out early attack by Lopez or Kruijswijk would be nice, but can they hang on against fairly "fresh" domestiques (well, mainly Adam, I guess, after taking over from Haig) chasing behind on a monoclimb stage?! I fear not...

The Volta a Catalunya used to have a MTT up to the Rabassa in the early 2000's... maybe that would have been a better way to spice the race up even more before the final day
    Yeah, I mostly agree. I don't really expect any action on this one until the final kilometer or maybe 2 out. UNLESS somebody folds early. However, I do think the shape of this climb COULD present an opportunity for a decent climber to attack early if they can get a gap. Especially if there are two or three in that attack. The speeds at the higher slopes will still likely validate some drafting, but not a whole lot. I could see someone pulling a Ben King move on the lower slopes. The real question is, can they make the move and make it stick. I think you'll agree with that. I think it is unlikely, but the dynamics of this race are not completely predictable. Maybe in hindsight they will be!
    :lol

BTW - stay tuned for tomorrow's stage: #20. It has the potential to be a corker!
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2630
    It could have been more interesting, if the positions were opposite to start with:
    If the diesel engines #jumbo Kruijswijk, #astana Lopez and #movistar Quintana occupied the top 3 GC positions before the stage, forcing #mitchelton Yates, #movistar Valverde to attack.
    With "the wheelsuckers" being in better shape than the diesels to start with I think we are, at best, set for a re run of the Campo Imperatore. Yates and Valverde to battle it out for bonus seconds in the last 1 km.

Dark force here is Pinot, if he can get a gap and take one of the "diesel" GC contenders with him, it could be a group that may collaborate well.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    . . .

Dark force here is Pinot, if he can get a gap and take one of the "diesel" GC contenders with him, it could be a group that may collaborate well.

Keep that crystal ball dusted - it's workin' pretty good for ya.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: World Championships 2018 by t-72
    [September 25, 2018, 22:50]

Re: UCI Road Map For Cycling by LukasCPH
    [September 25, 2018, 22:02]

Re: World Championships 2018 by Leadbelly
    [September 25, 2018, 20:45]

Re: UCI Road Map For Cycling by Leadbelly
    [September 25, 2018, 20:16]

Re: World Championships 2018 by Carlo Algatrensig