collapse

M Gee

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1453
  • The user formerly known as hiero
I remember when John Howard set the bicycle land speed record on the Bonneville salt flats. While there are many other nationalities that have held land speed records, there is something uniquely American about doing it at Bonneville.

Now John Howard has been coaching a 45 year old woman to top his record. And she did it handsomely, easily topping the last time it was set, 166 mph (by a Frenchman, I think).

There are plenty of articles on it - its pretty newsworthy. Here's one: https://www.wired.com/story/denise-mueller-korenek-bike-speed-record-168-mph/

I'm hoping there is some video somewhere. I saw a short clip somewhere, can't find it, from inside the lead car. I mean, there isn't a lot going on - she's pedaling like mad, and that's about it, but when you know that she is doing this at a greater speed than you've ever driven a CAR? Well, I don't know about you, but my a-hole tightens significantly at the thought.

The fastest I have ever driven one of my vehicles - car or motorcycle - was just about 100 mph. At least, my own vehicles. It was scary. Now, I did have a chance to do that in a Porsche one day, and, as I recall, we got to about 120 - and it was steady-Freddy, no problemo, cool as you please. But most normal vehicles are flat-out dangerous at such high speeds.

Anyway, another banner event for WOMEN'S CYCYLING in 2018!

Tell ya what tho - they talk about some of the crew thinking "200 mph!" in the vid. I'm thinking it will happen, and maybe not so far in the future. Can you imagine? A bicycle? At 200 miles per hour? That is 322 kph!

ROCKETTT!

:nosebleed

:snooty
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6954
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    I move that all speeds must always be given in km/h. Never, ever, ever in mph. :admin

I saw the news that she'd gone 184 and thought "well, that's very fast, but I've gone that fast in a train last week".
    But she really went (almost) 300! :o :-x :S

I don't think I've ever gone that fast in anything except an airplane.

I've hit 80 km/h on a bike once, on a wide, straight, downhill road, that was scary enough.
    On the motorway, I've briefly gone to ~140 km/h when overtaking someone else. That wasn't unsafe, but it did feel a bit squeaky.

And Mueller-Koronek went more than twice that! :o :pray
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Kiwirider

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 410
    I move that all speeds must always be given in km/h. Never, ever, ever in mph. :admin

Agree - metrics makes so much more sense!!  :D :D

Fastest I've been on a bike was something over 135km/h - down a really steep, 3km long hill (when I say steep - I would often put 10 min into a training buddy on that hill when we climbed it ... and I was typically doing 6 - 8 km/h!!!)

Don't know my exact speed, as 135km/h was listed by Cateye as the speedo limit ... and all I know is that I went over that and the speedo never read again ... All done back in the days of 531 frames, paper thin tubular tyres and no helmets ...

Surprisingly, that actually didn't feel that fast or scary ... (and I know that it isn't even in the kindergarten league compared to what we're talking about here!!!!)

Would wonder what 300km/h would feel like - and how you could hang on to a bike at that speed. I know when I used to ride motorbikes that at 250 km/h there was an amazing wind effect on you. Sit up from behind the fairing and you just about got pulled backwards off the bike! That was all good and fun - but with 180kg of bike under you ... vs the 10kg or so of bicycle that I imagine Meuller-Koronek had .... Pretty amazing feat ...
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2664
    How on earth do they reach that kind of speed, is it a tow-in like the big wave surfers do, or have they paved a steep speed-skiing hill?
    What I don't get is ... this can't be just about aerodynamics, there's got to be power as well!
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Neo Pro
    How on earth do they reach that kind of speed, is it a tow-in like the big wave surfers do, or have they paved a steep speed-skiing hill?
    What I don't get is ... this can't be just about aerodynamics, there's got to be power as well!

Good analogy ...

Towed in by a dragster to be able to get the gear to a point that she can turn it (wonder how many inches it is??? and what her cadence was???) ... and sits in the draft for the next 5.5 km ...

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-the-wednesday-edition-1.4829798/how-this-cyclist-hit-296-km-h-to-shatter-a-land-speed-world-record-1.4829802
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Neo Pro
    Here's the video of her run ... which looks deceptively easy (apart from one point where she looks about set to hit the dragster cowling!!)

Would lvoe to know a bit more about the bike - as no obvious chain and chainrings? Some strange direct drive set up? And perhaps a mega-geared Rohloff hub???

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Would lvoe to know a bit more about the bike - as no obvious chain and chainrings? Some strange direct drive set up? And perhaps a mega-geared Rohloff hub???
    The gearing is remarkably normal, actually. Photo from the article M Gee linked in the opening post:

Normal inasmuch as it is using normal chains and chainrings.
    Not normal at all as it consists of two gears after another!

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the gear ratio is 66x12 (or something like that).

Twice!
    If you calculate that to be a single gear, you'd have a 363x12! :o
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2664
    I see that the big wave surfing analogy was better than intended actually  :lol however, to keep it ehm...bike-clean I guess we can agree she used the worlds best derny?  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2429
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    I'm glad M Gee started this thread, and I don't mean to be "that guy" but something about this story has bothered me from the get-go. I followed it a bit, but I just can't get my heart into it. While I can fully appreciated the daring and sense of adventure behind it, I just can't relate it to cycling anymore than a sky-diving adventure or big-wave surfing.

She has to be towed up to speed due the nature of the bike, and she described the drafting effect as more than just the lack of resistance in front of her, but also a rearward forward push that occurs if she drifts too far back. In essence, there seems to be a cocoon of air all around her assisting in the feat. So what are we really talking about here? It just seems to be less of an on-the-bike feat, and more of a I've-got-the-fastest-air-bubble feat.

For whatever reason, I'm just left unmoved by the story. It is interesting to note that this type of thing has been going on for a century though (since 1899!). They used to lay sheets of wood over railroad tracks so riders could draft off the back of train, only to be snatched off their bike just in the nick of time to avoid disaster. In the example below, the goal was to ride a mile in under a minute. Charles "Mile-a-Minute" Murphy did it in 57.8 seconds.

Like so many things, what's old is new again.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    Would love to know a bit more about the bike - as no obvious chain and chainrings? Some strange direct drive set up? And perhaps a mega-geared Rohloff hub???

According to that Wired article:
    "The compound reduction gear—essentially two drivetrains joined together—is five times larger than a conventional racing bike’s top gear"

What's also interesting to me is her cadence. That article also suggests a top rpm of approx. 110, but based on the video of her accomplishment, she very consistently holds a cadence of 96 rpm from what I could see (assuming the video is real time) once she's up-to-speed (@ 2:15). One thing that would've been nice if is they had included on-screen speedometer readings. It's really difficult to appreciate the high speed from watching that video alone. Her relatively low cadence is also very deceptive—it just doesn't look like she's moving all that fast. It's not like the ridiculously high cadence of a track sprinter that one might expect for such an endeavor. 

The lower cadence allowed by her gearing must also aid in her stability, but I'm still surprised to see her in a more upright MTB-like position on the bike. I would think that a more conventional road/track bike configuration would be safer and more stable—and certainly more aero from the rider's standpoint—but what do I know about such things?
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 20:13 by Drummer Boy »

Kiwirider

• Neo Pro
    The gearing is remarkably normal, actually. Photo from the article M Gee linked in the opening post:

Normal inasmuch as it is using normal chains and chainrings.
    Not normal at all as it consists of two gears after another!

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the gear ratio is 66x12 (or something like that).

Twice!
    If you calculate that to be a single gear, you'd have a 363x12! :o

Thanks - my interweb at work is problematic and wouldn't let me open that page yesterday ...
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    It's in inches, but here is a quote from John Howard:

“The drive ratio is 62:12, twice,” said John Howard, Mueller-Korenek’s coach, who once held the motor-paced record himself at 152 mph back in 1985. “That’s roughly 488 inches, or approximately 128 feet per revolution. She’s traveling nearly 130 feet every time she turns those cranks. It’s pretty mind-boggling.”
    [1]

That's 12.3952 meters per wheel revolution. A 52x11 gearing, with a 700x28 tire would be approximately 9.34 meters. So it's not all THAT different. Somebody calculate the cadence she needed, wouldya?[2]

I can kinda understand not being particularly excited over such a feat. I know there is something about tow-in big wave surfing that kinda turns me off. Except once they catch that wave . . . Both situations, though are highly risky.

BTW, John Howard built up a pretty trick bike to set the land speed record at Bonneville himself, some years back. For those who don't know of him, he was one of the first in that generation of American riders that, shortly after John, included Greg Lemond, Davis Phinney, Bob Roll, etc.[3]

Yeah, it's a paced effort, so it's not like dropping a bigger engine on a bike to bust through the wind. There is something of a pocket the rider has to stay in. The pushing effect is not that great, and would be more like a nudge to get back into the pocket of dead air.  I have to think if the rider fell off pace much, though, the turbulence behind that pocket could be enough to destabilize the rider and knock them right down.

A lot of the effort is just building a bicycle that can do the feat. At those speeds, any normal bike would be a disaster. Tires would be gone, stability would be non-existent. They'd be so twitchy at that speed a rider would crash long before getting up there.

So, yeah, it's not like an hour record, where the rider has to have the right engine AND the right mental discipline. I'd say it still requires a lot of both, though. Any deviance in the effort could spell a lot of broken bones. The French guy that did this in '95 broke 24 bones in one attempt that ended in a crash.

1. from Bicycling
     2. I've got to get working!
     3. John Howard, Wikipedia
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 16:40 by M Gee, Reason: spelling »

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    Somebody calculate the cadence she needed, wouldya?

Um, I think I already did that per my post above. :slow  :P

96 rpm is what she maintained for about 45 seconds at top speed.
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Neo Pro
    It's in inches, but here is a quote from John Howard:
    [1]

That's 12.3952 meters per wheel revolution. A 52x11 gearing, with a 700x28 tire would be approximately 9.34 meters. So it's not all THAT different. Somebody calculate the cadence she needed, wouldya?[2]
     1. from Bicycling
     2. I've got to get working!

Your calc is right for the standard bike, but a bit off for her gearing ...

There are roughly 3.28 ft in 1 metre ... so 128 ft is approximately 39 metres per pedal rev - or about 4.2 standard bike wheel turns!!!   :o :o :o :o :o

(I think that you may have used the sq ft to sq m conversion - as that's approximately 10:1.   :)  )

Again converting to metrics (as I have no clue on how many feet in a mile!), I'd calculate her cadence along the lines of:
    speed = 184 mph *1.6 = 294.4 km/h = 4900 m/min
    cadence = 4900/39 = 125 rpm!!!

That's at odds with the article ... so likely some roundings in the article for speed or the gearing is actually a bit different ... as the maths is pretty simple (but, please, someone check it ... it's end of day after a long week here - and I've spent part of my rostered day off on work, so may well be making mistakes ...!)

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    Is this thing on? :slow  :D

Her cadence was 96 rpm. So I suppose one could calculate backwards from there, but I don't understand anything to do with chain-length, etc.

Her Cadence
    Was 96
    RPM
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    Eh, what's that you say? Can't hear ya well, too much static! Speak up a bit, eh?    ;)[1]

OK! 96!  :angel

Your calc is right for the standard bike, but a bit off for her gearing ...

There are roughly 3.28 ft in 1 metre ... so 128 ft is approximately 39 metres per pedal rev - or about 4.2 standard bike wheel turns!!!   :o  . . .

DB, I apologize, I wasn't paying enough attention! On technical grounds though, you counted the cadence based on the video. And that could easily be inaccurate either as a result of recording speed or playback speed, as you commented. So I was thinking of a calculated number.

Kiwi is right, also - there was an error in my calcs, and I misspoke, swapping wheel revolutions for crank revolutions.

So here's is a calculation for today, hoping I'm paying a bit more attention:

For 700c: a 52/11 gearing is a 4.73:1 gear ratio - so 4.73 turns of the wheel per one turn of the cranks. Meters traveled depends on tire size. I picked out 700x28c since we are most familiar with standard road bikes. If Lukas' calcs are right, and I think they are, her gearing equates to a 363x12 gear, giving her a gear ratio of 30.25. A 16" bicycle tire will have approx 1.2 - 1.3 meters of circumference. And a ratio of 30.25 at 1.2 meters gets us a development of 36.3, which is close to the calculated 39, and serves as a tidy cross-check. Calculating the other way, 128 feet = 39.0144 meters, divide by a gear ratio of 30.25, and we get a wheel/tire circumference of 1.29 meters. Ok so far.

As just noted, one turn of the cranks = one "cadence" = 39.0144 m for Meuller's bike.
    322,000 meters per hour = 5366.667 meters per minute.
    Divide that by the development of 39.0144, I get 137.556, which should be the cadence required to reach that speed with those gears and wheels.

BTW, I totally agree that the video would be much improved by having a speedo and real elapsed time counter included in the display. A forward view wouldn't help any, as the salt flats are so barren that their is no visual reference.

Based on the assumption that John Howard and Denise Meuller are rational people, I have to also assume they have good reason to go with the smaller tire size. And, since they commented in one of the news stories that those tires and wheels were chosen because a normal bicycle wheel would not withstand the rigors of that speed, I have to conclude that building a 700c wheel that WOULD withstand such speed would result in a less practical weight for the wheel, and thus the smaller wheels. Could be other dynamics to do with wheel size as well. I know there are guys in the motorcycle forums that chew over numbers like these (wheel size) all the time. It's like coffee and eggs for breakfast - a daily routine!

Two useful sites for such numbers:

http://www.bikecalc.com/gear_ratios
    https://www.cateye.com/data/resources/Tire_size_chart_ENG_151106.pdf

1. Must be the long distance connection.  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    137.556 rpm vs 96 rpm? Is that what we're talking about?

That's a huge discrepancy and one that I don't believe could be accounted for by inaccurate video speeds. The footage looks relatively realistic. That much of an error would be more evident from her overall movements, etc.

Let's make this much simpler:

Her cadence was 96 rpm.
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Neo Pro
    Let's make this much simpler:

Her cadence was 96 rpm.

You're right, we should make it simpler ...

From the Wired article:

Then Mueller-Korenek will release the tether, and Holbrook will accelerate to around 130 or 140 mph, monitoring Mueller-Korenek’s nonverbal communications via a camera: nods to accelerate, head shakes to back off. A color-coded series of lights on the back of the dragster will show Mueller-Korenek how far they’ve gone, and how much track is left.

To secure the record, Mueller-Korenek—now pedaling around 110 rpm—will have to hold 168 mph between mile markers 4 and 5, where the timing traps measure her average speed. As Holbrook accelerates, the cyclist will push 700 watts for more than a minute to stay inside the draft pocket behind the dragster’s fairing. That’s about what a Tour de France sprinter produces in the final minute of a stage.

So, subject to M Gee setting her speed at 200mph/320km/h, looks like our calcs aren't so stupid as you're trying to make out. Also matches the count that I got for minutes 2 -3 in the video of about 105 ... which I admit was a bit hairy, since she wasn't riding a completely consistent cadence ...
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    . . .
    So, subject to M Gee setting her speed at 200mph/320km/h, looks like our calcs aren't so stupid as you're trying to make out. Also matches the count that I got for minutes 2 -3 in the video of about 105 ... which I admit was a bit hairy, since she wasn't riding a completely consistent cadence ...

:fp
    The 200 mph / 322 kph was postulation! But then I went and used the 320 in my calcs. No gold stars for me. :(

184 mph = 296.119 kph, so that nets a required cadence of 126.55. Which fits with the Wired description (@ 168 mph cadence was 110). And is closer to DB's count!  :nosebleed

And kudos to you both for going to the trouble of trying to count cadence from the video!

You know, when I read that Wired article, I totally missed that paragraph - I didn't see the wattage calculation at all. That does put it into perspective tho!

I'll go see if her website has an contact info, and I'll send an email, if I can, ask her about this.

Edit: Facebook page has the same vid, but more info. https://www.facebook.com/FireCycle/

THIS vid:

is very informative. It shows the John Howard attempt, so we know this guy (Howard) knows what he's talking about. It shows the Rompelberg accident and later successful attempt. Rompelberg was Dutch, not French, btw. The accident footage is informative, too. He just somehow manages to move out of the slipstream, and gets literally blown away. I'm pretty sure, from looking at the footage, the at least one of the leg fractures was complex (displacement occurred). Quite probably more were, but we can't see them. Project Speed has an email - I'll send them a note.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 19:56 by M Gee »

Kiwirider

• Neo Pro

184 mph = 296.119 kph, so that nets a required cadence of 126.55. Which fits with the Wired description (@ 168 mph cadence was 110). And is closer to DB's count!  :nosebleed

Its actually closest to the 125 rpm that I calculated a couple of posts back ... which DB tried to tell me I was an idiot for calculating and not listening to him when he kept saying (incorrectly as it turns out) that she was only pedaling at 96 rpm ...   ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    Before I launch into my intended post, I will say that it is a bit disappointing that much of the info being discussed hasn't been made more readily available by the people behind this project. I mean, the whole thing really does come down to the numbers, and clearly they put a tremendous amount of science into this.

So why not have more on-screen real-time info? And for that matter, why only one camera on the car and apparently nothing on the bike or helmet for a different perspective on the experience? This kind of endeavor would seem to beg for such documentation. They are, after all, going for a World Record.

As I originally stated, however, this type of thing doesn't really capture my imagination all that much. Providing more info and imagery with which the viewer could further immerse themselves in the undertaking might help though. Too bad they couldn't place evenly-spaced pylons, or some sort of marker,  along the course to give a better sense of speed as they pass by. Oh, well.

Now on to my main contribution...
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    First off, I haven’t the slightest idea why some of you are taking this so seriously and getting so defensive.  Maybe I should’ve included more emojis in my post? And I never called anyone "stupid." I was just trying to be helpful.

It appeared that you were jumping through hoops with the calculations, and I thought I would just make it easier by providing a few less variables. If her cadence is known, then it should be considerably easier to reverse engineer some of the other numbers.

Secondly, I’ve no idea why you’re quoting the same Wired article that I already referenced and trying to use that against me in some way as if I hadn’t read it. I even specifically made mention of their 110 rpm estimate. And that’s exactly what it was—an estimate. To quote the quote that was already quoted, and that I assume we all have read:

To secure the record, Mueller-Korenek—now pedaling around 110 rpm—will have to hold 168 mph between mile markers 4 and 5.
    Two things:
    1) The word “around” is an approximation.
    2) The phrase “now pedaling” is speaking in the future-tense of what the author predicts will occur. It’s not a recap of the record-breaking ride itself.

Now, since all we have to go off is the video itself, I will present an accurate breakdown, based on that video, of exactly what her RPMs were. I haven’t the slightest idea of how ya’ll are coming up with your numbers, but based on that video, I am supremely confident that my numbers are correct.

How can I be so certain? Because this is what I do. I’ve spent my entire life studying and understanding rhythms and tempos. I actually get paid to have a grasp of this stuff.

In the world of music we refer to it as bpm, or Beats Per Minute. Same exact thing. Because I’ve done this my whole life, it tends to come as second nature. I can spot someone’s cadence, be it on a bike or running on the road, and usually guess accurately within about 2 or 3 clicks what their cadence is. It’s just something I naturally do to amuse myself from time-to-time, and to sharpen my skills.

This is why I’ve never needed a cadence indicator on any of my bike computers. I can, within a few seconds, determine my own cadence quite easily. Once I’m pedaling steadily, I can reference that tempo against any number of songs or familiar rhythms inside my head that will tell me what the tempo is. It’s sort of like someone who can spot a certain make or model of car at a distance. They have mental markers with which to reference a whole slew of variables in appearance. It’s easy for the trained eye. Same thing with tempos—it’s easy for the trained ear.

All that being said, when I’m approaching something like this video, I always double-check my intuition with facts. How? Simple: a tap-tempo metronome. I don’t have to actually “calculate” anything. I can watch the pedal strokes, tap my metronome in-time with the pedals, and quite easily ascertain the precise rate of rotation. It’s quite easy, for me. It would likely prove more problematic for someone who isn’t used to tapping a button accurately, and steadily in-time with a corresponding image or sound, but again, I’ve spent more hours, days, weeks, months, years, than I care to think about doing just that. Drummers practice along to metronomes all the time. One’s ability to accurately play along to click-tracks and other pre-recorded sequenced material is crucial if one expects to be taken seriously in a professional musical setting. And there is very little, if any, margin for error in my profession.

So, now that I’ve got my pointless resume out of the way, let’s move onto the numbers, shall we?

@1:00 her cadence is 76 rpm.
    By 1:30 her cadence has increased to 81 rpm and remains close to that for about 10 seconds before increasing more rapidly up to 88 rpm by 1:45.

By 2:00 her cadence begins to reach 96 rpm, with some very minor oscillating until it quickly evens out. This is what I was referring to! This is the cadence at which she spends the most time—nearly 30 seconds.

Now @2:30 there is a brief period where her cadence does reach a top speed of 99 rpm, but that lasts less than 10 seconds, and that is as fast as she’s ever pedaling in that video. Period.

@2:40 there begins a steady de-acceleration for about 20 seconds until there is a very noticeable and much more obvious decrease back down to 90 rpm @3:00.
    This decrease continues steadily until her cadence is as slow as 68 rpm when she finally unhooks @3:19.

Make of it what you will. But I’ll just leave it at that, now that the fun has been taking out of it. Either way though, I can assure you, I just don’t give a flip. This is child’s play to me.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    . . . something like this video, I always double-check my intuition with facts. How? Simple: a tap-tempo metronome. I don’t have to actually “calculate” anything. . . .

So, now that I’ve got my pointless resume out of the way, let’s move onto the numbers, shall we? . . .

Not pointless at all! Loved it! Well done! Actually, sorry it took the fun out for you, as you just made the whole thread MORE fun, afaic! I think I may have read in some thread somewhere, sometime, that you actually play drums, but it didn't stick in my memory - so the "resume" was quite beneficial.

Post Merge: September 23, 2018, 14:21
    Before I launch into my intended post, I will say that it is a bit disappointing that much of the info being discussed hasn't been made more readily available by the people behind this project. I mean, the whole thing really does come down to the numbers, and clearly they put a tremendous amount of science into this.

So why not have more on-screen real-time info? And for that matter, why only one camera on the car and apparently nothing on the bike or helmet for a different perspective on the experience? This kind of endeavor would seem to beg for such documentation.  . . .

I wrote them an email, and mentioned those very thoughts, as I thought this was an excellent idea. If they want to, I'm sure they could get a video editor to add a speedo and a cadence meter display to the video.
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Neo Pro
    Now @2:30 there is a brief period where her cadence does reach a top speed of 99 rpm, but that lasts less than 10 seconds, and that is as fast as she’s ever pedaling in that video. Period.

Ok, so lets give you the benefit of the doubt and say that she maxs out at 99 rpm.

Let's also say that John Howard is right when he says that each pedal rev moves her 128 - 130 ft per pedal stroke. (Let's average to 129 ft - for maths simplicity.)

Now, if my googling is correct, there are 5280 ft in a mile - right? (Apologies, I was born in a metric environment - so have no ideas of things like that ...)

That means that, if you are right, she is covering 99 x 129ft per minute - which is 12771 ft - which is the same as 2.42 miles.

If we convert that to miles per hour, we get 145 mph ...

Which is 39mph less than she has been recorded as travelling ... and, by your reckoning, she only hit that for 10 seconds, whereas the record is for her average speed over those couple of miles ...

So, please help me understand how that can be (the maths is dead simple - so I know that it's not a problem there) - and help me account for the "missing" 39 mph ...

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    So, please help me understand how that can be (the maths is dead simple - so I know that it's not a problem there) - and help me account for the "missing" 39 mph ...

Because of my time away from the forum (bike crash=hospital being one of the reasons) I've had to reacquaint myself with the specifics of this story. But after reading the articles again, and listening to her interview, nothing about this is making any sense. Here's why:

Her stated objective was to reach at least 170 mph / 273 kmh, but to her great surprise she actually hit 183 mph / 296 km/h. Now let's think about that for a moment.

If she needed to sustain that speed as an average over the span of one complete mile, then that would take approx 20 seconds. I just have a very hard time believing that an experienced cyclists, who was focused on such a very specific goal, wouldn't have been well aware of the sensation of having to pedal significantly faster than she ever had before on that particular bike for at least 20 seconds. But I'm not sure we get that reaction from her.

We are all familiar with varying cadence on a bike. We all know how different 90 or 100 or 120 rpm will feel. Whether we know the numbers or not, the difference in perception and effort at any of those tempos when in our highest gear would be unmistakable. I can only imagine that when approaching world-record-breaking speeds, those differences in perception and effort would only be magnified, not diminished.

So I don't what to make of this. A few possibilities come to mind:

1) The video is simply inaccurate, and doesn't represent a realtime record of the event.
    2) The numbers offered up by her and her coach are off. Maybe they got something wrong in their own calculations of gear ratios etc.
    3) The event was timed inaccurately, and she didn't actually ride as fast as claimed.
    4) There is a deliberate deception taking place.

I'm not really leaning one way or the other on this, but as I look at this whole thing from a different perspective, I'm no longer buying the idea that she greatly exceeded her own goal without even realizing it at the time. I just can not believe that her time on the bike during that record-breaking ride wouldn't have felt drastically different than anything else she had ever experienced. Unless it wasn't.

I'm stumped. Maybe I'll reach out to Joe Lindsey to see if he can further clarify any of this.

[Edit]
    After further research, I'm leaning towards number three, which is why I've now highlighted it.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 21:04 by Drummer Boy »

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    Alrighty then. This is already taking up more of my time than I should probably allow for. But I've come up with a couple of other things.

I don't think this was posted earlier, but it's the website she had set up when preparing for the attempt.
    http://theprojectspeed.com

There's some interesting info there, but there are also typos and mistakes, so nothing to get too attached to. For instance, in question #4 of the FAQs, she states a targeted goal of 140 mph for that day, when clearly it's meant to be 170 mph. And that happens a couple of times. So I'm not very invested in that site.

However, after glancing at her Facebook page (which hadn't occurred to me before because I don't participate in The Face) I came across two interesting links.

This is a first-hand account as provided by her pace car driver, Shea Holbrook. It's a very compelling read and very well written.
    The Race Car Driver Who Powered a Bike Speed Record

One key line that I'll be coming back to:
    By mile four, we’re going over 170 miles per hour and pushing safety regulations of my vehicle.

And this was a live Facetime video that apparently Denise's son was broadcasting at the time:

This is useful because it provides a radio play-by-play of the record-breaking-ride, along with some commentary from Denise herself immediately after the ride.

Here are some of the stats provided by the radio (which sounds like some official timing source).
    "163 mph in the first mile."
    "Second mile, 176.633 mph."
    "Last mile, 183.932 mph."

Now in her defense, when she's recapping the event from inside her son's car, at the very end she does express the sense that "We were cookin' it." So maybe she really did perceive something special at the time. This wasn't conveyed properly in previous articles and interviews.

But prior to that, she states that they apparently violated some rule of the course by exceeding 175 mph. Not sure why that would be, but it's noteworthy. Maybe it's due to the safety regulation of her driver's car, which refers back to that quote about the dangers of exceeding 170 mph. Her driver notes that "by mile four" they were exceeding 170 mph, but according to the race radio, they were supposedly already above that speed by mile two. Which makes me question the "official" speeds even more. The driver never gives us a top speed as she saw it, which is unfortunate. Also, "over 170 mph" doesn't give us anything very specific.

But it implies a speed of only a little over 170, doesn't it? And if that were the case then how did they leap all they way to nearly 184 mph within that same mile without an extreme and sudden jump in speed? Because what we're also told is, "The record speed will be recorded as average speed from mile four to five." What seems to make more sense to me is that the driver was correct in her assessment of 170+ at mile four, and that they never accelerated much beyond that. Especially if there were vehicular safety issues past 170 mph. Wouldn't that seem to make 184 mph even more unlikely?

Her article in Outside Magazine was fascinating in how she describes the setting of the Bonneville Salt Flats. It's crowded out there! And there's a lot going on. So who's to say that some calibrations weren't off or some other factors didn't interfere with the timing?
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 21:19 by Drummer Boy »

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    Watched the video, great to get an insight into how it all happened.
    Although the first couple of minutes were less than exciting visually - it's a salt flat! :lol

DMK mentions the 'live recorded' speeds being 'exit speeds' (i.e. top speeds at the end of each mile), while the speed record asks for average speed over a full mile.
    Without crunching the numbers, that squares pretty well with accelerating basically all through the four miles of the run, from zero at the start to almost 184 mph at the end ... which translates to 'only' a bit over 170 average over a full mile.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    DMK mentions the 'live recorded' speeds being 'exit speeds' (i.e. top speeds at the end of each mile), while the speed record asks for average speed over a full mile.

When the radio announcer gives his recap (and unfortunately Denise's son is talking right over that part of the audio) the last thing he says is, " through the last mile at 183.932, with an exit speed of 183.416."

But soon after this, @6:50 in the video, you can clearly hear someone say, with concern,  "I think we broke the speed limit."

And her reply is, "Oh that's right, we weren't supposed to go more than 175."

So what are we supposed to make of that? Ooops! We nearly went 10 mph faster than we were supposed to. Silly us. I guess it just sort of happened on its own.
     :shh

Now come on. WTF is going on here? This makes no sense.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
     :angry HOLD EVERYTHING!!!!!!!  :angry

We've been watching the wrong video!!!!  :o :lol :o :lol
     :D :D :D :D :D :D

I spent some time composing an email to Joe Lindsey, too. Thank God I never sent it!  :P

JESUS CHRIST! :fp :fp :fp :fp

I'll provide the details below...
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    OK, I think it'll be great to keep this thread intact as a wonderful example of deep curiosity, cognitive disconnect, team work, stubborn persistence, online debating tactics, some good cyber sluething...and eventual vindication for all!
     :cool :win

Now, all this confusion is not our fault. From the beginning of this I've been frustrated by the lack of info on this ride, and the manner in which it has been disseminated. Even the website set up exclusively to promote the record attempt in the first place did little to follow-up the actual achievement itself. (Actually, it seems they did nothing besides one banner announcement.)

But that video that we've been analyzing all this time, the one that Kiwirider originally posted up thread? That's not the record-breaking run! It's her "warm-up" run, if you will. She did two runs that day, one at 12:10 and another at 4:19. What we've been watching was the first of the two. But without any other footage to go by, none of us seem to noticed the actual title of that video.

It clearly says:
    155.980mph 2018 Project Speed Denise Mueller-Korenek Paced Bicycle

It was literally right there in front of us the whole time. 155.980 is obviously not the record time. :fp
    (Unless they've changed the title since then. I really can't be sure of anything anymore.)

But if you follow the linked video to the actual Youtube page, it gets even more confusing because the description reads, Bicyclist Denise Mueller-Korenek with pace car driver Shea Holbrook in their 155.98mph run (Denise’s 2nd Run behind the pace car) prior to the 183.9mph record run at 4:19pm

That a bit odd though because it implies three runs in total. But according to her driver, they only did two that day. But I'll leave that debate for another post.

Now only just a short time ago did I explore their homepage on Youtube, and Lo and Behold! Just three weeks ago (and about ten days after this thread was started), they uploaded the actual record-breaking time! And it's from a different camera angle, so there's no confusing the two!

The funny thing is that when I saw they had uploaded another clip, and without understanding what I was seeing, I had assumed this was the practice run. So for the fun of it I began doing my usual naked-eye cadence assessment. But I immediately realized that something was seriously wrong, because her cadence was clearly faster than the video we've been analyzing. I was guessing somewhere in the 115 rpm range. So I thought, Hmmm, if she rode this fast for the trial run, then maybe the video we've been watching really does have something wrong with its playback speed.
    :slow

But then I read what was in front of me and realized that I was watching the ACTUAL 183.932mph 2018 WORLD RECORD!

Now before I share that little gem, I just realized something else. There's an apology now attached to the first video that reads:
    Originally we posted that this was the record run due to a mix up on the files shared to us from our videographer, but it was discovered that this was the 12:10pm run which was only 155.98mph. See other video for the 183.932mph Record Run

Now they tell us!  :angry

FFS! So I was right all along. And everyone else was right, too. We just had bad info!  :P

So now, without further ado, let us move on to record-breaking performance itself....
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 04:42 by Drummer Boy »

Recent Posts