collapse

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3573
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015
First off, I haven’t the slightest idea why some of you are taking this so seriously and getting so defensive.  Maybe I should’ve included more emojis in my post? And I never called anyone "stupid." I was just trying to be helpful.

It appeared that you were jumping through hoops with the calculations, and I thought I would just make it easier by providing a few less variables. If her cadence is known, then it should be considerably easier to reverse engineer some of the other numbers.

Secondly, I’ve no idea why you’re quoting the same Wired article that I already referenced and trying to use that against me in some way as if I hadn’t read it. I even specifically made mention of their 110 rpm estimate. And that’s exactly what it was—an estimate. To quote the quote that was already quoted, and that I assume we all have read:

To secure the record, Mueller-Korenek—now pedaling around 110 rpm—will have to hold 168 mph between mile markers 4 and 5.
Two things:
1) The word “around” is an approximation.
2) The phrase “now pedaling” is speaking in the future-tense of what the author predicts will occur. It’s not a recap of the record-breaking ride itself.

Now, since all we have to go off is the video itself, I will present an accurate breakdown, based on that video, of exactly what her RPMs were. I haven’t the slightest idea of how ya’ll are coming up with your numbers, but based on that video, I am supremely confident that my numbers are correct.

How can I be so certain? Because this is what I do. I’ve spent my entire life studying and understanding rhythms and tempos. I actually get paid to have a grasp of this stuff.

In the world of music we refer to it as bpm, or Beats Per Minute. Same exact thing. Because I’ve done this my whole life, it tends to come as second nature. I can spot someone’s cadence, be it on a bike or running on the road, and usually guess accurately within about 2 or 3 clicks what their cadence is. It’s just something I naturally do to amuse myself from time-to-time, and to sharpen my skills.

This is why I’ve never needed a cadence indicator on any of my bike computers. I can, within a few seconds, determine my own cadence quite easily. Once I’m pedaling steadily, I can reference that tempo against any number of songs or familiar rhythms inside my head that will tell me what the tempo is. It’s sort of like someone who can spot a certain make or model of car at a distance. They have mental markers with which to reference a whole slew of variables in appearance. It’s easy for the trained eye. Same thing with tempos—it’s easy for the trained ear.

All that being said, when I’m approaching something like this video, I always double-check my intuition with facts. How? Simple: a tap-tempo metronome. I don’t have to actually “calculate” anything. I can watch the pedal strokes, tap my metronome in-time with the pedals, and quite easily ascertain the precise rate of rotation. It’s quite easy, for me. It would likely prove more problematic for someone who isn’t used to tapping a button accurately, and steadily in-time with a corresponding image or sound, but again, I’ve spent more hours, days, weeks, months, years, than I care to think about doing just that. Drummers practice along to metronomes all the time. One’s ability to accurately play along to click-tracks and other pre-recorded sequenced material is crucial if one expects to be taken seriously in a professional musical setting. And there is very little, if any, margin for error in my profession.

So, now that I’ve got my pointless resume out of the way, let’s move onto the numbers, shall we?

@1:00 her cadence is 76 rpm.
By 1:30 her cadence has increased to 81 rpm and remains close to that for about 10 seconds before increasing more rapidly up to 88 rpm by 1:45.

By 2:00 her cadence begins to reach 96 rpm, with some very minor oscillating until it quickly evens out. This is what I was referring to! This is the cadence at which she spends the most time—nearly 30 seconds.

Now @2:30 there is a brief period where her cadence does reach a top speed of 99 rpm, but that lasts less than 10 seconds, and that is as fast as she’s ever pedaling in that video. Period.

@2:40 there begins a steady de-acceleration for about 20 seconds until there is a very noticeable and much more obvious decrease back down to 90 rpm @3:00.
This decrease continues steadily until her cadence is as slow as 68 rpm when she finally unhooks @3:19.

Make of it what you will. But I’ll just leave it at that, now that the fun has been taking out of it. Either way though, I can assure you, I just don’t give a flip. This is child’s play to me.
  • ReplyReply

•