collapse

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3533
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015
So, please help me understand how that can be (the maths is dead simple - so I know that it's not a problem there) - and help me account for the "missing" 39 mph ...

Because of my time away from the forum (bike crash=hospital being one of the reasons) I've had to reacquaint myself with the specifics of this story. But after reading the articles again, and listening to her interview, nothing about this is making any sense. Here's why:

Her stated objective was to reach at least 170 mph / 273 kmh, but to her great surprise she actually hit 183 mph / 296 km/h. Now let's think about that for a moment.

If she needed to sustain that speed as an average over the span of one complete mile, then that would take approx 20 seconds. I just have a very hard time believing that an experienced cyclists, who was focused on such a very specific goal, wouldn't have been well aware of the sensation of having to pedal significantly faster than she ever had before on that particular bike for at least 20 seconds. But I'm not sure we get that reaction from her.

We are all familiar with varying cadence on a bike. We all know how different 90 or 100 or 120 rpm will feel. Whether we know the numbers or not, the difference in perception and effort at any of those tempos when in our highest gear would be unmistakable. I can only imagine that when approaching world-record-breaking speeds, those differences in perception and effort would only be magnified, not diminished.

So I don't what to make of this. A few possibilities come to mind:

1) The video is simply inaccurate, and doesn't represent a realtime record of the event.
2) The numbers offered up by her and her coach are off. Maybe they got something wrong in their own calculations of gear ratios etc.
3) The event was timed inaccurately, and she didn't actually ride as fast as claimed.
4) There is a deliberate deception taking place.

I'm not really leaning one way or the other on this, but as I look at this whole thing from a different perspective, I'm no longer buying the idea that she greatly exceeded her own goal without even realizing it at the time. I just can not believe that her time on the bike during that record-breaking ride wouldn't have felt drastically different than anything else she had ever experienced. Unless it wasn't.

I'm stumped. Maybe I'll reach out to Joe Lindsey to see if he can further clarify any of this.

[Edit]
After further research, I'm leaning towards number three, which is why I've now highlighted it.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 21:04 by Drummer Boy »