collapse

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3533
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015
Alrighty then. This is already taking up more of my time than I should probably allow for. But I've come up with a couple of other things.

I don't think this was posted earlier, but it's the website she had set up when preparing for the attempt.
http://theprojectspeed.com

There's some interesting info there, but there are also typos and mistakes, so nothing to get too attached to. For instance, in question #4 of the FAQs, she states a targeted goal of 140 mph for that day, when clearly it's meant to be 170 mph. And that happens a couple of times. So I'm not very invested in that site.

However, after glancing at her Facebook page (which hadn't occurred to me before because I don't participate in The Face) I came across two interesting links.

This is a first-hand account as provided by her pace car driver, Shea Holbrook. It's a very compelling read and very well written.
The Race Car Driver Who Powered a Bike Speed Record

One key line that I'll be coming back to:
By mile four, we’re going over 170 miles per hour and pushing safety regulations of my vehicle.

And this was a live Facetime video that apparently Denise's son was broadcasting at the time:

This is useful because it provides a radio play-by-play of the record-breaking-ride, along with some commentary from Denise herself immediately after the ride.

Here are some of the stats provided by the radio (which sounds like some official timing source).
"163 mph in the first mile."
"Second mile, 176.633 mph."
"Last mile, 183.932 mph."

Now in her defense, when she's recapping the event from inside her son's car, at the very end she does express the sense that "We were cookin' it." So maybe she really did perceive something special at the time. This wasn't conveyed properly in previous articles and interviews.

But prior to that, she states that they apparently violated some rule of the course by exceeding 175 mph. Not sure why that would be, but it's noteworthy. Maybe it's due to the safety regulation of her driver's car, which refers back to that quote about the dangers of exceeding 170 mph. Her driver notes that "by mile four" they were exceeding 170 mph, but according to the race radio, they were supposedly already above that speed by mile two. Which makes me question the "official" speeds even more. The driver never gives us a top speed as she saw it, which is unfortunate. Also, "over 170 mph" doesn't give us anything very specific.

But it implies a speed of only a little over 170, doesn't it? And if that were the case then how did they leap all they way to nearly 184 mph within that same mile without an extreme and sudden jump in speed? Because what we're also told is, "The record speed will be recorded as average speed from mile four to five." What seems to make more sense to me is that the driver was correct in her assessment of 170+ at mile four, and that they never accelerated much beyond that. Especially if there were vehicular safety issues past 170 mph. Wouldn't that seem to make 184 mph even more unlikely?

Her article in Outside Magazine was fascinating in how she describes the setting of the Bonneville Salt Flats. It's crowded out there! And there's a lot going on. So who's to say that some calibrations weren't off or some other factors didn't interfere with the timing?
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 21:19 by Drummer Boy »