collapse

Echoes

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1473
The Remco Evenepoel Evolution Thread
« on: September 28, 2018, 09:52 »
So now that Remco became the very first Junior World Champion both in ITT and in the in-line race since the 1994 creation of the ITT Worlds, time to dedicate a thread to him.

Remco Evenepoel is the son of Patrick Evenepoel who won the 1993 GP Wallonia, his greatest victory.

Last year I discovered a YT clip of Evenepoel sr 's victory:
With commentaries by a young Rodrigo Beenkens of RTBF and the late Claude Criquielion.

Patrick Evenepoel seemed to have made a great Tour of Spain before (when still raced in April/May, the GP Wallonia back then was held on Ascension Day) attacked on the first ascent of the Citadelle and his teammate Benjamin Van Itterbeeck blocked the chase (while he was meant to be his leader). At that time they had to climb it twice in the finale and finish was on the "Esplanade" a bit lower on the climb than it is today. Brings back memories of former riders too: Mario De Clercq was still a full time road racer and Mexican Miguel Arroyo who like Patrick could not match expectations due to the EPO era.

Patrick was born in Etterbeek, so a pure-blood Brusseler, with Dutch as first language but extremely fluent in French, just like Remco. There aren't too many riders coming from Brussels. Jean-Marie Wampers who was his DS at Collstrop at that race is another case. You can also think of Philippe Thys, Eddy Merckx could be considered Brusseler while Émile Daems was born in Wallonia but raised in Brussels if I'm not mistaken. According to this Het Laatste Nieuws article about Remco, Patrick was able drop the likes of Gianni Bugno and Michele Bartoli uphill as an amateur rider. However I question the reliability of this article. It says that Patrick turned pro in 1989 while he did in 1992 and Bugno was already a pro rider when Patrick joined the amateur ranks (so perhaps that happened in an open race).

Anyway Patrick Evenepoel had to retire from professional cycling after three seasons (1992, 1993 & 1994) under advise from cardiologist Pr. Brugada (who later adised Johan Vansummeren to retire) as he had to start training harder and harder to keep up with EPO dopers.

During yesterday's live coverage, José De Cauwer claimed that Patrick did not leave cycling disappointed. "If it's the way it is", he said. He could start his own plaster work business right away after.

Remco Evenepoel started playing football at age 5. He was born in Schepdael, which is just outside Brussels, close to the Anderlecht district of Brussels. So naturally he played for Anderlecht, then 4 years in the Netherlands at the PSV Eindhoven (at age 11) was selected for the national team and then back to Anderlecht, but too often sitting on the bench due to an injury, moved Mechelen in early 2017 but lost the pleasure and retired from football before the end of the season. So he cycled for the first time on 2 April 2017. Five days later he came second in the Provincial ITT championship (Flemish Brabant), lost a lot of time at the start as he missed two turns. In August he wins the queen stage at the Tour of the Basque Country and another stage at Aubel-Thimister-La Gleize (2.1), a nice Ardennes stage. The rest is history 34 victories in 44 race days.  :o

Lire la suite : https://www.directvelo.com/actualite/60619/le-coup-d-envoi-de-remco-evenepoel

According to testing, Remco is more a classic rider but he considers himself a GT rider, good climber and as we could see a terrific ITT (so far). He'll have a contract with Quick Step next year, straight from junior ranks to elite, so let us see.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1473
    Re: The Remco Evenepoel Evolution Thread
    « Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 15:28 »

https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20181005_03813205

Remco Evenepoel: “Ik heb nog nooit alcohol gedronken. Ook geen champagne bij mijn wereldtitel”

Remco Evenepoel: "I still have never drunk any alcohol. Not even champagne after my world title"  :cool

Along with yours truly, Remco is among the very few alcohol haters in Brussels.  :lol Though I did drink but occasionally and not with great pleasure.  ;)

“Ja, ik ga geld verdienen volgend jaar. Maar het is de bedoeling om een zo stabiel mogelijk leven te leiden. Ik zou bij manier van spreken ook gratis profrenner willen zijn.”

"Yeah I'm going to earn money, next year. But the aim is to lead a life that is as stable as possible. So to speak I could also have been a pro rider for free."  :o
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6955
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Re: The Remco Evenepoel Evolution Thread
    « Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 12:07 »
    "Yeah I'm going to earn money, next year. But the aim is to lead a life that is as stable as possible. So to speak I could also have been a pro rider for free."  :o
    Remco, Remco ...
    It's great to see that he knows that money isn't everything, and therefore is unlikely to chase the biggest contract without regard for whether it's actually a good offer on the sporting side.

But without any money, nothing is anything - he should definitely take the money they offer him.
     :)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Recent Posts