collapse

Echoes

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1583
Re: Cycling Farmers
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2019, 22:03 »
http://www.ciclismointernacional.com/corredores-a-seguir-en-2016-ii-miguel-angel-lopez/

My Spanish is broken but Miguel Angel Gomez Moreno has impressive strength that he inherited from his father, Santiago, a peasant who doesn't just work the land but also cuts down trees. (comments by Rafael Acevedo, his coach in 2015)

His French wikipedia page says that he comes from an underprivileged farming family.

• ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #31 on: March 31, 2019, 16:38 »
    David Menut is a rider coming from an agrarian milieu.  :)

http://creuse-agricole.com/actualites/cyclistes-et-issus-du-monde-agricole-route-vtt-et-cyclocross:PFPRAJ5Y.html

This is an article from 15 July 2009 on "Creuse agricole et rurale", so 10 years ago when he was just a 17-year-old junior rider.

Headline says: Cyclist Coming from the Agricultural World

David Menut, the son of a farmer based in Saint-Christophe, has a very busy life between road cycling, mountainbike, cyclocross and studies.

His mother, Pauline, says that he often misses school classes, for example on Friday when he has to leave for a race or on Monday morning when he had to come back late from a race on Sunday.

He was to finish secondary school one year after that article was published and practiced the three cycling disciplines mentioned in the headline. So he was worn out. That winter he took part in all the cyclocross Coupe de France events, World Cup events and French nats (he was 29th). He was then building up for the MTB nats (a couple of days after the article).

The "Creuse" département is in the Limousin region, Saint-Christophe is a bit South of Guéret and North East of Limoges with a distance.

Mountainbike and cyclocross were his first passions but he was more and more tempted by road cycling. There are more financial means on the road, races are huge and there are more opponents and more teams. He actually raced a few years on the road with BigMat Auber and Armée de terre but when Armée de terre stopped, David was an amateur again with his original club "Creuse Oxygène Guéret", which is best known as a mountainbike club (Belgium's Jens Schuermans is currently racing for them) and which was founded by his uncle Alain Menut. So last winter David had to bounce back in cyclocross and was 3rd at the Cyclocross Coupe de France.

His uncle initiated him to cycling at age 5 when taking him for rides on Saturdays. Back at the time of the article David is the one to mentor kids who start riding.

His parents are not cycling passionates but are supporting him. His father Jean-Claude is raising "Limousine" cows in Saint-Christophe. His mother is a "nursing assistant" (I think that would be the correct term or "nursing auxiliary"). She loved seeing him do some bike trials but he didn't like it.  :lol

David also used to help his father at the farm but already then in 2009 it was harder. During those 2009 summer holidays he had to cycle and couldn't help him.

• ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #32 on: May 25, 2019, 10:57 »
    I've stumbled on an interview of Marc Madiot, dating from last November. Madiot was present at a press conference in the Aveyron organised by his co-sponsor Groupama. It's an agrarian département in Southern France, hence he would talk about his own affinities with the agrarian world with the frankness that he's known for.  :D

I'm the son of a farmer and I'm proud of it. If I had to go on a demonstration for farmers, I'd do it. Their cause is very dear to me. I'm very committed to it. I know their world. They are hard-working people but neglected by public and political authorities whichever they are. My father was a trade unionist and so am I. So perhaps this part of me is emerging. I shouldn't say that but when I see peasants demonstrating alongside the roads during the Tour of France or blocking the race, I'm smirking. I'm a peasant at heart.

https://www.centrepresseaveyron.fr/2018/11/15/marc-madiot-je-suis-fils-de-paysan-et-fier-de-letre,4862590.php

In his book, Madiot found it natural that Hinault didn't have to apologise after punching a demonstrator at the 1984 Paris-Nice. Sadly for that demonstrator, he was not a farmer, he was a worker at the La Ciotat shipyard.  :lol

Joke aside, I'm still so fond of his interviews.  :)
  • ReplyReply

•