collapse

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 1525
    • Music To Your Ears
  • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
You are of course forgetting the fact that CCC should get relegated at the end of the year unless GvA has an absolutely tremendous season and Marezcko comes good at WT level. They have literally no one else.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11563
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    I think that part of the 2020 reform was scrapped, wasn't it?!

Edit: yep, can't see anything that speaks against them getting a WT license again

Eighteen teams will possess a UCI WorldTeam licence awarded for a period of three years after a full evaluation of all the candidate teams (and not only the teams already in possession of a licence) according to ethical, administrative, financial and organisational criteria. The teams will need to fulfil these criteria every year. The sporting criterion will be evaluated at the end of a three-year period. The UCI WorldTeams will comprise 27 to 30 professional riders.

https://www.uci.org/inside-uci/press-releases/men%27s-professional-road-cycling-changes-for-2020
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 7024
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    There won't be promotion and relegation once those 3 year licences have been handed out, but it's not a fait accompli that they or any other of the current WT teams will get those licences. Cofidis and Direct Energie have both talked about applying for 2020, so two teams from the twenty applicants will miss out.

#wanty

I used to think of Wanty as a bit of a joke team, probably very unfairly. Cisse de Greef might have had something to do with that. It's patently not the case any more. Winning the European Tour team classement for the past three years means they have to be taken very seriously.

A smaller squad than their other main rivals, but with nearly as many potential big scorers. The main strengths lie in of course northern classics, punchy finishes and sprints. Martin is an option in tougher climbing races, but his lack of a kick means wins are going to be in short supply for him.

A couple of negatives. Their transfer dealings over the winter probably weakened them in the short term (ie this year) as Smith + GVK > Vliegen + De Gendt and my gut feeling is that with them already punching above their weight, the chances of them being able to raise the bar much higher are slim.

Top (ten?) riders:

Backaert
    Baugnies
    De Gendt
    Dupont
    Eiking
    Martin
    Meurisse
    Pasqualon
    Vliegen
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    Ante-post ramblings done!

My thoughts haven't changed much since I gave my initial rankings. I think it will be Cofidis and either Wanty or Direct Energie. Between those two a lot will depend on how Terpstra gets on. He won't repeat his 2018 performances, but if he can get 1000+ points that could be enough to edge DE ahead.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    Ante-post ramblings done!

My thoughts haven't changed much since I gave my initial rankings. I think it will be Cofidis and either Wanty or Direct Energie. Between those two a lot will depend on how Terpstra gets on. He won't repeat his 2018 performances, but if he can get 1000+ points that could be enough to edge DE ahead.

It has to be Cofidis for me.

Bouhanni, Laporte, Touze and Hofstetter for the sprints.

Hansen, Atapuma and Herrada for the mountains.

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    #androni Gianni Savio agrees with you:

"I can tell you right now what the classification will be for the Pro Continental teams in 2019: first will be Cofidis, second will probably be Direct Energie, and then in third it could be Wanty, us or many other teams," Savio said. "We have a budget of €2.5 million. How can we compete with Cofidis who have €8 million at their disposal?

To my mind, the original draft for the WorldTour reforms was better, because if you remember, the plan was that there were only going to be 15 WorldTour teams. That was fair – and not only to help the Pro Continental teams, but because I don't think there are 18 big teams out there in the first place. By big teams, I mean teams with riders who can challenge on GC in a Grand Tour."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/a-balancing-act-analysing-the-giro-ditalia-wildcards/
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    #androni Gianni Savio agrees with you:

"I can tell you right now what the classification will be for the Pro Continental teams in 2019: first will be Cofidis, second will probably be Direct Energie, and then in third it could be Wanty, us or many other teams," Savio said. "We have a budget of €2.5 million. How can we compete with Cofidis who have €8 million at their disposal?

To my mind, the original draft for the WorldTour reforms was better, because if you remember, the plan was that there were only going to be 15 WorldTour teams. That was fair – and not only to help the Pro Continental teams, but because I don't think there are 18 big teams out there in the first place. By big teams, I mean teams with riders who can challenge on GC in a Grand Tour."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/a-balancing-act-analysing-the-giro-ditalia-wildcards/

Clearly he knows his onions.

:)
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    or even earlier ;). Just stumbled across this in an interview with #academy August Jensen on procycling.no:

[...]

And they probably also will consider to go to Langkawi and Qinghai Lake this year.

or not

Malaysia to not host any more events involving Israel
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    https://twitter.com/EyalFidel/status/1093916529152983041

I'm not convinced this is 100% correct (where are Direct Energie?), but it's a rough idea of how the land lies at this early stage.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7069
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    https://twitter.com/EyalFidel/status/1093916529152983041

I'm not convinced this is 100% correct (where are Direct Energie?), but it's a rough idea of how the land lies at this early stage.
    This is only on points from 2019, I believe.

Also, the WT-PCT promotion/relegation at least has been postponed until 2023:
    https://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/uci-stelt-promotie-degradatieregeling-uit/
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Also, the WT-PCT promotion/relegation at least has been postponed until 2023:
    https://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/uci-stelt-promotie-degradatieregeling-uit/
    Picking something from that article to comment on:
    It says there could be 19 or even 20 WorldTour teams if a ProConti team (or two) that's placed in the top-18 decides to apply while the existing WorldTour teams' three-year licences are still running (e.g. after one year).

What if the same happens the year after that?! There are 20 WT teams already - what if another two PCTs make the top-18 in the second year and also apply for a WT licence? The original 18 WT teams still have one year left on their licence, and the two new teams may also have finished in the top-18, so you can't take theirs away. Will there then be 22 WT teams?!
    :slow

This all sounds not terribly well thought out. :S
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    If it weren't before, it's official now: #academy are going for the auto-wildcards

https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20190214_04175773

"We are permanently on the road with three teams to get enough points for that top 2 spot in the ranking that enables us to ride all 3 GTs in 2020."
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    If it weren't before, it's official now: #academy are going for the auto-wildcards

https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20190214_04175773

"We are permanently on the road with three teams to get enough points for that top 2 spot in the ranking that enables us to ride all 3 GTs in 2020."

Makes sense. And with that more money will come in and more points for the following year.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    Makes sense. And with that more money will come in and more points for the following year.
    More money, certainly. And let's not forget that they'd get auto-invited to all other WT races, too, not just the GTs.

More points? I'm not so sure about that. It's not out of the question, but history has shown that domination of Continental races doesn't necessarily translate to taking the same number of points at a higher level.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Smaller Race Results and Discussion 2019 by search
    [February 17, 2019, 21:08]

Re: Smaller Race Results and Discussion 2019 by LukasCPH
    [February 17, 2019, 20:08]

Re: Smaller Race Results and Discussion 2019 by Leadbelly
    [February 17, 2019, 19:14]

Re: Smaller Race Results and Discussion 2019 by Leadbelly
    [February 17, 2019, 19:09]

Re: Ciclismo Cup 2019 by Mellow Velo