collapse

skidmark

• 2nd Year Pro
  • Liked: 900
  • Awards: 2015 Youth CQ Ranking Game Champion2012 CQ Ranking Game Champion
2019 CQ Game Thread
« on: December 19, 2018, 01:37 »
Hi all, and welcome to the 2019 CQ Ranking Manager Game! This is the ninth edition of the game. Please see below for some history, basics, and more specific rules related to dates, dopers, etc.

History

The game was launched on December 8th 2010 by cyclingnews forum poster Hugo Koblet. His idea was to have a game where you build a cycling team from the website cqranking.com and its comprehensive numerical rankings of riders. What was originally meant to be a 25-team max competition that Hugo reserved the right to cancel if there was lack of interest became the most successful game in cyclingnews forum history, and has expanded to velorooms forums as well.

Hugo successfully ran the game for 3 years, and it bred various offshoots, such as a youth game, seasonal games (classics and GTs), emerging riders and riders in decline games. I took over organizing the main game for 2014 when Hugo got too busy, and have done so for the past five years. See the second post in this thread for a roll of honour of yearly champions.

That is it for preamble. Let’s go through the more comprehensive set of rules:

Basics

The game is based on the point system developed by the website www.cqranking.com. Based on this system you will have to select a team of between 25 and 33 riders whose combined value doesn’t exceed 7500 points. 7500 points is a fair bit under the mean for the ProTour teams whose mean for 2018 is 8853. 7500 is closest to the amount of points Lotto Soudal made this season, the 14th ranked of the 18 WT teams.

Your aim then is to select a team of riders who will increase their 2018 score the most during the 2019 season. The winner of the game is the one who has selected the team with the highest combined value when the game ends.

1. How the game works

1.1. Start & Finish
The season starts when the first race giving CQ points is held (which is the Aussie National Road Championships on January 6th) and ends when the last major race (.1 or higher) is held. The winner will be crowned when the next update after the last major race is out.*

*An extension will be granted to the end of season if it is very close at the top. If any teams are within 100 points of the leader after the last major race, the season will be automatically extended until the final race of the year unless all teams within 100 points explicitly concede. As well, anyone in the top 10 can extend the season by PMing me a request to do so before the last major race starts.

(The reason for this rule is that although minor races go through December, it is rare to have a rider in the game participate in these races, so it is sensible to end the season when people are still generally watching cycling. But if it's a very close race, it's important to crown the person who picked the best team for the year.)

1.2 Updates
Each week we will publish an update with a top 10 and a list of the high scorers and high jumpers. This will sometimes be by me, and sometimes by others – I will be setting a tentative schedule based on volunteers.

Post Merge: December 19, 2018, 01:39
2. On doping

2.1. On ex-dopers
All riders are available to choose, except for riders who are provisionally suspended by the UCI (as of their most recent list).

Riders who have been suspended for doping and had that affect their 2018 score will not be available simply for their 2018 score. Instead, a rider’s value will be equivalent to that of his last full season; or, if he has more recently had a (not full, due to suspension) season in which he has earned more points, that season represents his value. Riders who have been suspended by the UCI (ie. Not merely provisionally suspended) are on this list.

Therefore, you can pick any rider you like, but if you want to take Davide Appollonio, for example (his suspension ends in 2019), his positive result and suspension came from 2015, meaning his last 'full' season was 2014, in which he scored 237 points. He scored fewer points in his 'partial' 2015 season (102), so his cost is his last 'full' season. But if he had scored, say, 300 points in 2015, that would be his cost instead.

Hopefully the lists I've provided and the rules are clear enough, but if you make an error I will try to let you know if any of your submissions fall into this category.

2.2. Riders getting caught during the season
If you include a rider in your team who gets caught with his hands in the cookie jar, nothing happens right away. Your rider keeps his points unless the cqranking.com deletes his results before the end of the game.

Basically, the value of a rider on cqranking.com always stands.

3. Submitting your team

3.1. How do I?

You pick between 25 and 33 riders whose combined value doesn’t exceed 7500 points and send the list to me.

As I will manually have to include the teams into the Microsoft Excel file which keeps track of the scores, please be careful that you send your team to me based on the correct formula. I don’t take any responsibility for any error you might make. If I spot an error I will do my best to contact you but I can’t guarantee anything. Of course, if you have any questions feel free to ask either here in this thread or by sending a personal message.

The layout you need to use is this:

VALVERDE BELMONTE Alejandro
SAGAN Peter
Etc.

Nothing else. No point scores after the name. Also, be careful that there is no “space” after the name, because I will have to delete it manually, but can't always detect these things in time for the game. If there is an error that isn't discovered until after the game starts, and that error makes your team ineligible (eg. if it puts your team over the limit) the rider will simply be deleted from the team without replacement.

To make things easier for both you and me I will link to a file for you to download in which you can type in your team and it will automatically show you the value of each rider as well as the aggregated value of your team. Then you will just have to copy your team (names only) directly from this file and send it to me.

Hopefully this clears any misunderstandings of a rider’s value as well as reduces the number of errors made in a team sent to me.

3.2. When do I?
The first race of the season will start January 6, so I want to have your team in hand on January 4 at the latest.

There are two deadlines: a submission deadline and a revision/publication deadline, spaced 24 hours apart. This is to address the issue brought up in recent years about whether it is 'fair' to allow changes after teams have seen the teams of other players, and for 'late' submissions. I would like to make this a game that is accessible to as many people as possible, yet preserve that element of fairness. So, the submission deadline will be when I want to have received all the teams. The revision and publication deadline is to allow a 24-hour period for me to look over the teams and allow a chance to people to change their team in case of error, before having access to a list of riders that other teams picked. If you get mixed up with the time zone or unexpectedly don't have internet access around the submission deadline, I will accept teams up to the revision deadline at my discretion, but if allowed those teams will not have the chance to revise in case of error.

The submission deadline is 23:59 (CET) January 3rd, so early January 4th for Aussies and sometime earlier on January 3rd for North Americans. The revision and publication deadline is 24 hours later; I would ask that people refrain from posting the riders on their team until after that, so midnight CET on the start of January 5th.

Post Merge: December 19, 2018, 01:39
Please note that even though it feels as though the season is over, it’s actually not. There are still a bit of racing to be done and CQ points to be handed out that could affect the value of a rider you have picked. It is always possible that an obscure rider may score points in a small race at the end of season, or that CQ will adjust points for an earlier season race for whatever reason (eg. readjusting points for suspended dopers) Be mindful of these changes.

cqranking.com usually uploads the final update of the season on December 31, and the values in this update are the ones we’re using. However, the changes are usually very small so there’s no reason why you can’t start selecting your team already today!

**Disclaimer: ensuring your team is full of eligible riders and is on budget is your responsibility. If I notice you are over budget or have an ineligible rider I will send you a message, but if you don't get back to me in time, or I don't catch it before the deadline, I will simply remove one rider to make your budget work. Obviously it is to your advantage to be able to choose all your riders, so please be diligent.**

Create Your Team

Hugo created a very helpful file in 2012, referred to above, that helps avoid any errors in calculation and helps ensure you are formatting your rider names correctly. I would encourage everyone to use this option, especially if you are not confident in your spreadsheet creating skills. Please use the file attached here to create your team, then copy and paste the rider names to send to me by PM once you have it correct. Thank you.

**note: the 'create your team' file has not yet been manually updated to include different scores for dopers as per rule 2.1, so it is currently wholly your responsibility to account for this.**

I think that about covers everything. If you have any questions or if I forgot to add or explain anything, please let me know.
  • ReplyReply

• skidmark

• 2nd Year Pro
    Re: 2019 CQ Game Thread
    « Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 01:39 »
    This post is reserved to list submitted teams as they come in. If you have submitted a team recently and don't see it appear within 24 hours, please message me to see what is up. Teams on the list marked with an asterisk need a change, and I have messaged you with the details.

Here are the 60 submitted teams as of 8:00pm CET, January 2nd:

LaFlorecita
    vladimir
    comodoro
    Akuryo*
    Koronin
    Martin
    Salvarani
    Jon_Ezeitza
    Joelsim
    Leadbelly
    armchairclimber
    NorthAmericanScum*
    rote_laterne
    drebelo
    Hakkie2
    Total Package
    triley36
    scrooll07
    Carlo Algatrensig
    Nicosix
    Object
    Lortnoc
    Riverside
    Tonton
    bminchow
    Vitapen
    Shawnm4747
    will10
    search
    Popchu
    tobydawq
    torcia_86
    fauniera
    DFA123
    escartin
    zlev11
    PeterB
    ChrisDK
    Sneekes
    Kazistuta
    flashke
    LosBrolin
    Sestriere
    del1962
    Crevaison
    Eric10
    adamski101
    Jpettersen
    Falze
    Nathanptz
    Hugo Koblet
    Kryvo
    barmaher
    Simurgh
    Mayomaniac
    Jancouver
    oliveira
    Josedin
    GP Blanco
    Armchair Cyclist

Also, here is the role of honour from previous years:

2011 – 87 participants
    1. ingsve – 13897 points
    2. Waterloo Sunrise – 13450
    3. mc_mountain – 12670

2012 – 129 participants
    1. skidmark – 19345 points
    2. Kvinto – 18087
    3. Nyssinator – 17761

2013 – 132 participants
    1. SteelyDan – 13094 points
    2. Geraint Too Fast – 13074
    3. will10 – 12986

2014 – 150 participants
    1. Pentacycle – 14367 points
    2. Cykeltyven – 13693
    3. Ruudz0r - 13609

2015 – 155 participants
    1. Cykeltyven – 16209 points
    2. skidmark - 15616
    3. snccdcno - 15412

2016 – 144 participants
    1. skidmark – 15392 points
    2. jeroenk - 14707
    3. abbulf – 14448

2017 – 131 participants
    1. fauniera – 15867 points
    2. the asian - 15698
    3. GP Blanco - 15217

2018 – 129 participants
    1. ruvu75 – 16513 points
    2. Squire - 16099
    3. trackstand - 15832
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 19:15 by skidmark »

Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 4474
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 18:04 »
    My team is IN

16 under 25 years  :? :?
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith
    RIP krebs

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 7859
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 20:07 »
    I've gone fairly mainstream by my standards.

WT: 13 riders
    PCT:13 riders
    CT: 7 riders

Belgian the most popular nationality with six selections.

Fingers crossed for no injuries or interesting transfers before the deadline.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 21:30 »
    I've gone fairly mainstream by my standards.

WT: 13 riders
    PCT:13 riders
    CT: 7 riders

Belgian the most popular nationality with six selections.

Fingers crossed for no injuries or interesting transfers before the deadline.

Well due to my lack of prowess in excel, there have been a few changes. :fp

WT: 11
    PCT: 13
    CT: 9

Spookily enough I ended up swapping out the very two guys whose points weren't being counted correctly. Hopefully they won't have bumper years.
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 444
    • Awards: 2019 Giro CQ Game winner2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 Official Prediction Game Champ2018 Tour Prediction Champ2018 Vuelta Prediction Champ2018 Giro Prediction Champ
    « Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 11:17 »
    Well due to my lack of prowess in excel,

It's alright for you LB, I've given up trying to get names to that form thingy.
    Carry on.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1619
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    « Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 11:42 »
    I've just gone for Valverde, Sagan, Simon Yates and Lukas Knöfler.

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7459
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 12:23 »
    I've just gone for Valverde, Sagan, Simon Yates and Lukas Knöfler.
    Three guys with 2500+ points each and one with zero? :P
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 14:25 »
    You'd better be entering the competition this year Fus!
  • ReplyReply

• skidmark

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 17:44 »
    Okay, I've processed all the early entries over the last few days, and as of now we have 12 submissions, fairly in line with previous pre-xmas years. I also gave my provisional team to LaFlorecita (the first to send in a team).

This will be an interesting year! I can't wait to see the various strategies people have settled on. I always love that time in the new year when it's just time to analyze all the teams and wait for the first results to come in.

Keep the teams coming, all!
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #10 on: December 25, 2018, 08:34 »
    The problem for me is that I don't think about CQ until mid-December when the collective team gets picked - by which time I'm deep into Christmas preparations. And after Christmas there are just a few days to put together a team. So, often time is simply running out for me.

I'll try to put something together, but I can almost guarantee it won't be a contender for the top. :)
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1619
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    « Reply #11 on: December 25, 2018, 18:54 »
    Okay, I've processed all the early entries over the last few days, and as of now we have 12 submissions, fairly in line with previous pre-xmas years. I also gave my provisional team to LaFlorecita (the first to send in a team).

This will be an interesting year! I can't wait to see the various strategies people have settled on. I always love that time in the new year when it's just time to analyze all the teams and wait for the first results to come in.

Keep the teams coming, all!

Who on earth has a strategy apart from picking a rider who’ll likely score more points?
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 4474
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #12 on: December 25, 2018, 20:14 »
    Who on earth has a strategy apart from picking a rider who’ll likely score more points?
    My strategy was to pick riders I will enjoy supporting
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 12960
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #13 on: December 31, 2018, 15:19 »
    my team is sent in as well. A fairly popular one this time, I'm afraid. And younger than usual, with 27,5 years on average. 22 WT, 5 PCT and 5 continental riders.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

skidmark

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #14 on: December 31, 2018, 18:59 »

Yes well perhaps that wasn't the most accurate term - I just meant that I am interested to see whether people chose more expensive riders, less expensive riders, younger riders, older riders... I basically meant 'I can't wait to see the varying team makeups because there are so many different possibilities of decent riders'. Last year, for example, everything for my team hinged on whether I was going to pick Valverde. Picking him eliminated my ability to pick lots of other fairly expensive riders, so that changed my overall team-building. I dunno if you'd call that a 'strategy' or just a choice or whatever, but that's what I was referring to.
  • ReplyReply

• skidmark

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #15 on: December 31, 2018, 19:04 »
    ***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT**

CQ has released their official end of year rankings for December 31st, and it seems there were a few point adjustments made in December. I've inputted the new standings into the "Create Your Team" spreadsheet, so please check with that spreadsheet before submitting your final teams.

8 of the 32 teams submitted so far were made to be over budget by those changes; I've messaged them all and none were from VeloRooms, but I just wanted to alert you guys that your numbers from the previous update might not be accurate so you should check them before sending.

Edited to note: I think the changes are mostly due to San Juan results being redistributed after Najar's official suspension. So if you have Sevilla/Ganna/Benoot etc they'll have a few more points than they did in the last update because everyone moved up a spot on GC, and also a few stages probably got readjusted too.

Happy New Year folks!
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 23:27 by skidmark »

GP Blanco

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 6
    « Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 13:04 »
    Just submitted my team
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 572
    « Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 13:15 »
    my team is sent in as well. A fairly popular one this time, I'm afraid. And younger than usual, with 27,5 years on average. 22 WT, 5 PCT and 5 continental riders.

Yeh, looks like no one 40+ for me this year either.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 22:37 »
    Yeh, looks like no one 40+ for me this year either.

34 is my oldest rider this year. And I even was a bit suprised to see that age, tbh ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    « Reply #19 on: January 03, 2019, 11:33 »
    Isn't that the future prospect YLRP? I have one vet but after that yeh the host of big names around 34.
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    « Reply #20 on: January 03, 2019, 11:50 »
    Currently have HADDI but really don't want to double down... I have two points to spare or will need to re-jig and ditch a journeyman for a couple of pot luck neos.
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    « Reply #21 on: January 03, 2019, 12:48 »
    flip it I'll pick MVS again, and his last comment on twitter says he's going to win Scheldeprijs!

Average age 27.4
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #22 on: January 03, 2019, 13:49 »
    flip it I'll pick MVS again, and his last comment on twitter says he's going to win Scheldeprijs!

among others. Mostly 2.1 of course, but he's a must pick anyway. Nibs is even older than Porte
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2916
    • Awards: 2019 Spring Classics Prediction Champ2018 Tour de France CQ game winner
    « Reply #23 on: January 03, 2019, 19:11 »
    My group, chosen mainly because they underachieved last year, but with no real confidence that they will return to form this time around, come from 11 countries (Italy contributing 8), represented 23 different teams last year (I did this on the 31/12 sheet, not the 01/01 version, so don't know this year's tally) and have an average age of 28.3.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 16:19 by Armchair Cyclist »

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #24 on: January 03, 2019, 19:17 »
    You'll be happy to know that my entry has just been sent in. :)

1000+: 1
    500-999: 3
    400-499: 3
    300-399: 0
    200-299: 3
    100-199: 12
    1-99: 10
    0: 0
  • ReplyReply

• skidmark

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #25 on: January 03, 2019, 19:56 »
    About 3 hours left before the submission deadline. A reminder that there are still a further 24 hours until the publication deadline after that, so don't publish your teams here yet! That staggered deadline is so that revisions can be made on teams that are over budget or have duplicate riders and other such issues. But also, since the racing hasn't started and no one has revealed their teams, I can accept submissions if you haven't gotten them in yet, you just won't have the chance to revise them if there are any issues. Keep them coming in, we are at about 100 teams so it'll likely be smaller than last year but perhaps I'll get a bunch of submissions in the final hours. Still waiting on some regulars here... where you at, Trudgin? Archieboy? DJW? All are welcome!
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11159
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #26 on: January 03, 2019, 21:08 »
    Got no power at home Have sent 3 photos of my team to Flo it is the hands of the gods now  :o
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11159
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #27 on: January 03, 2019, 22:22 »
    Flo the legend understood my chicken scratches and we have a team in. Super random and yes Offredo makes it again. Cause this is the year :lol
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #28 on: January 03, 2019, 23:19 »
    You'll be happy to know that my entry has just been sent in. :)

0: 0

no trust in Remco... :o

Personally I'm not sure he'll really turn into a massive pick either though, tbh. Still couldn't miss out.
  • ReplyReply

• skidmark

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #29 on: January 04, 2019, 05:19 »
    omg haha so after 8 years of this game starting with the Aussie nationals, I only searched "Australian National Road Race" in December to set the start date... and just realized now that the New Zealand TT nats happened a few hours ago!! So for the first time ever, this game starts after CQ points have been awarded   :o

I'll be sure to check that next year; I await the barrage of team changes that come with the competitive advantage of knowing who got those 15 points.
  • ReplyReply

•