collapse

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 8081
  • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
Road Nats 2019
« on: January 04, 2019, 19:55 »
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 19:35 by Leadbelly »

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7543
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Re: Road Nats 2019
    « Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 15:46 »
    *na ITT

*be Campenaerts did 54'04" out-of-competition. ;)

*na RR

Craven still can't sprint. :D
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 13:55 »
    Various TT results in no particular order:

• ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3316
    « Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 21:07 »
    #didata Edvald Boasson Hagen’s 10-year subscription for the  #champno ITT Jersey was brutally canceled by #unox Andreas Leknessund (by 1 minute and 12 seconds!  :o) It was about time, but that was quite more than expected. Sunweb will get another beast to tame in one and a half year’s time.
    Also now independente club rider Iver Knotten ( ex #joker) beating EBH for the silver. Someone sign him .... quick!

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13104
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 21:48 »
    do you think it shows how strong Leknessund and Knotten are, or more that EBH may have lost a bit of interest in time trialling?

I know he won that one early in the season, but in the Dauphiné he seemed to be in great shape, and I was very surprised to see him finish only 53rd there (with no explanation given, as far as I could see, and on a course that should have suited him pretty well)
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 22:44 »
    do you think it shows how strong Leknessund and Knotten are, or more that EBH may have lost a bit of interest in time trialling?

I know he won that one early in the season, but in the Dauphiné he seemed to be in great shape, and I was very surprised to see him finish only 53rd there (with no explanation given, as far as I could see, and on a course that should have suited him pretty well)

That's a very justified question, but to be honest, for me, it's a hard one to answer.

Let's start with the general level of time trialing in Norway over these 10 years. It has been low, there have been few riders interested in this discipline, but a few with more lungs than road race experience have given EBH some resistance (notably #joker Reidar Borgersen (an ex speed skater) and let's not forget the retired legend Oskar Svendsen, who spent his youth years mostly practicing downhill, on skis not bikes.  - who might have been a giant from his physical abilities but didn't have the fundamental desire to become a pro cyclist. ex #astana Truls Korsæth and #uae Vegard Stake Laengen have both put down good performances.

Borgersen was a very dedicated ITT racer. As an athlete and as a business owner he stinks of speed. I dare say no one have been more single minded in pursuit of speed in Norway over the last 10 years. I'd compare him to Victor Campeanaerts at that. He just switched to cycling from speed skating and it took him years to look only moderately comfortable in the peloton. On an ITT bike, him against the clock, he was in his bubble, free from the interference of others.  Wait, he is rarely mentioned as a  businessman - afaik he now runs the Borgersen's family business and they make the best speed suits (in the world) for almost any discipline of sports. In small series, and you can't see the brand name tag. I am quite sure a lot of brand names are fitted after delivery  :shh That is why I say he is the most single-minded person when it comes to speed. 

Edvald Boasson Hagen is about as far from a dedicated ITT racer as you can get. In fact I think that when #didata was sponsored by Cervelo, he only brought out his ITT bike for ITT stages and the national championship. Maybe a day or three in the week ahead just to check it was alright. He only trained for road races, and all his ITT results came because he has a massive talent and when in shape even if not specificallu prepared, his capacity was so much higher than the second-tier riders that he could win the national championship anyway.

Then #didata gets new bikes, and the new bike suppliers take pride in their time-trial bikes. I think they forced all #didata riders that could TT to practice on their time machines, and it's an excellent bike. Edvald Boasson Hagen in good early season shape + new good ITT bikes + actual practice on the bike --> Result: Valenciana stage win. Then came the Algarve bug and #didata is now so on their heels there is no time to practice for secondary objectives. It is road race only for Edvald again.

In comes #unox Leknessund in last year's national championship, as a 19 year old, and finishes just 7 secs behind Edvald. His season objectives for this year obviously was to beat Edvald today, and he did so in brilliant style - but he did practice, he targeted this race and he prepared for it. I am not sure how much weaker Edvald performed this year, but Leknessund sure has improved.

I saw a post at another forum mentioning that Leknessunds race today was faster than Wout van Aert's time in Belgiom. More wind in Belgium was mentioned, not sure if they mentioned that the Norwegian race finished with a climb of approx 2 kilometer's length.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 13:49 by LukasCPH »

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7543
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 13:54 »
    Interesting insights into the Norwegian ITT scene (or lack of such).
    Reidar Borgersen sounds like the *no version of Martin Toft - an absolute nerd, perfecting his ITT to an extent rarely seen otherwise.

As I'm off to Esbjerg on Sunday, I have edited the startlists for the *dk road races so that they fit on one page each and are easier to handle.

If anybody's interested, here they are:
    bit.ly/DM19RRMJ (men juniors, Saturday)
    bit.ly/DM19RRWE (women elite & women juniors, Sunday)
    bit.ly/DM19RRME (men elite, Sunday)
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 19:02 »
    OK, there must be a bunch of road race champions to be announced by now. I will start the list from *no - we saw a quite hard classics-style elimination race on a hilly course that was harder than it looked (or just raced hard) in hot weather. The field was trimmed down to 17 men only when the TV coverage started with 76 46 kilometers to go. A few of the favorites had already been dropped, and the numerically superior #unox team had Markus Hoelgaard solo up the road, while the various chase groups was trying to close the gap.

Next serious attack with 1 lap to go, the front group was down to some 5 men after #lotto Carl Fredrik Hagens move on the longest hill effectively dumped both Edvald Boasson Hagen and Alexander Kristoff plus a few others out the back door - but it was #unox still with numerical superiority in the front group, firing off ITT championship winner Andreas Leknessund in a very serious move. He got some 20-something-seconds lead but the chasing group with #lotto CF Hagen, #jumbo Amund Grøndahl Jansen, #didata Rasmus Tiller and #unox Anders Skaarseth (just hanging on) did not give up.

Last time up the hardest hill, #lotto CF Hagen closed ingap but #jumbo Grøndahl  Jansen obviously had most on the tank at the top of the hill, and caught Leknessund not a long time later. They were joined by Hagen. Leknessund fired one more attack at Grøndal Jansen but was shut down. A three-man sprint finish was a relatively easy job for Amund Grøndahl Jansen. The two others did a decent job, but this was the train conductor at the B-train and he didn't allow anyone to pass.

Well deserved victory for #jumbo Amund Grøndahl Jansen #champno! And nothing to be ashamed of for 20 year old #unox Andreas Leknessund, who almost managed the double win in the national championships. #lotto Carl Fredrik Hagen showed his capacity, in a course that really didn't suit him - and was responsible for shaping the race with his hard climbs up Løinebakken (the hard climb on the circuit). 

Slightly more concerned about a few of the riders one should expect to manage to keep up here, especially #didata Edvald Boasson Hagen, who dropped early when the other Hagen dropped the hammer. #uae riders also did not impress but the course was so hard you usually wouldn't expect Kristoff among the top competitors on his own. (With 7-man squad he'd be there but not with Bystrøm and Laengen off the back.)

ERRATA: tv coverage started at 46km to go, not 76
    !
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 09:23 by LukasCPH »

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1662
    « Reply #9 on: June 30, 2019, 19:40 »
    Belgian cyclocrossers are putting their road colleagues to shame.  :lol
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #10 on: June 30, 2019, 19:41 »

You're not 50 years old and Finnish are you Drumbo? :o

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #11 on: June 30, 2019, 19:43 »

US Nats RR stream.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13104
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #12 on: June 30, 2019, 21:41 »
    I thought he had retired... but nope.

Here comes Firsanov again! :dizzy

• ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.