collapse

search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 12834
  • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Re: Ciclismo Cup 2019 (Giro di Sicilia)
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2019, 18:03 »
For parts of the stage, good weather turned into miserable one today, and he race was even temporarily neutralized from km 110 to km 125 along the descent after the GPM of Geraci Siculo, to ensure the riders’ safety, given the adverse weather conditions.

But this didn't mean anyone could avoid the almost unescapable sprint finish, nor did it stop #uae UAE from setting up Molano with 500m to go again. This time #androni Belletti was the one to benefit from it.

“I am very happy today, firstly because I have repaid the team for the great work done, and, secondly because in yesterday's sprint, taken by the heat, I started too early and lost out. It was a difficult start to the season when I broke three of my ribs in Argentina and I had to sit still for a while. Now the condition improves in view of our great goal of the season: the Giro d'Italia. I will lose the leader's jersey but I hope that will be worn by one of my teammates who is aiming for the General Classification”, stage winner and new race leader Belletti said at the finish.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3272
    « Reply #31 on: April 05, 2019, 22:41 »
    We have really nice weather up here north now, and I got out to do a little cycling myself today. However, due to the fact that I haven't really done much cycling in 5 months I spent the evening in agony at the sofa.  :S For consolation I got to watch the third stage of the Giro de Sicilia (recorded via Eurosport player) Southern Italy style, eating pizza.  :angel

That was not such a waste of time. After a long flat run in the finish featured one long climb from ~30 to ~20 km, an easier section after that and a final snaky climb of some 3 kilometers up narrow town streets. The weather did what the weather often does in that part of the world, that part of the year, throwing water on the streets and making sure the riders did not overheat.  The final half of the long climb saw the breakaway caught, a small group breaking off at the front and multiple attacks countered and caught.

On the "easier" section (mostly slightly slightly downhill) into the final climb in Ragusa, the attacks continued, with   #neri Neri Sottoli - Selle Italia - KTM  (that is only one team, yes  :snooty) among the teams most eager to keep the group in front and together for Visconti and #polartec Polartec-Kometa perhaps the most eager to break it apart with their young riders (do they borrow bikes from Trek-Segafredo?)

However, there are two talking points from this stage and if you really like cycling the important one is #rally Brandon McNulty, who jumped off the front of the group (a few key teams totally off guard at that monent), caught a Kometa rider and disappeared into the fog and rain. He basically attacked on the flat with 10 km to go and opened a half-minute lead in a steady steady riding hard time trial kind of way. Then, he blitzed the final steeper descent into Ragusa in best Squalo style, paying homage to the man from Messina? - And it was 50 seconds at the start of the climb.

The streets were wet, the turns falling-over-the-cliff type risky and there comes this American dude overtaking the police moto and waving his hands and cursing at them like some minor mafioso late for an appointment with the Godfather. Only Nibali could have done this better, and to prove the point of the bad road condition he overtook a couple more police motos and then one of them actually slid and fell in a turn on some probably even slippier flagstone surface. McNulty continued to power up the climb for his first pro win. From what I have seen of him: he won the junior's ITT in Doha, was 2nd on the ITT U23 worlds here in Bergen, and was good in the Avenir last year - I am inclined to believe it is the first in a long row of victories, this guy can very well be the next American GC rider to shine.

The second talking point - what was instantly given a lot of focus in media even here in Norway - was #wanty Odd Christian Eiking beating the rest of the group chasing McNulty by punching up the final straight street on the climb through Ragusa. Apparently, the fog and rain and slippery conditions, police motos on the floor, riders falling, sliding and general drama caused Eiking and others in the group tonot notice or  forget about McNulty - and Eiking celebrated like he won it. For the usual 4 seconds until his smile turned into a frown, as it always does on such occasions.

Of course I am biased as Eiking comes from the Bergen area where I live, but - if you ask me - cyclists are way too restrictive about celebrations anyway: If you're happy and you know it, raise your arms!  :)
    (Eiking actually raced it like it was an Ardennes race with an uphill finish, and if you ask me, he has never done that better, so he should be happy - hope to see him in the Fleche this year!)

McNulty is now miles ahead on GC and unless today's effort broke him, #rally Rally should be able to reel in the victory tomorrow.
    However, Brandon should remember,  if it continues to rain - the road is lava! Touch it once with anything but wheels and it will burn you. #wanty Guillaume Martin is in good shape, but more than a minute down, and may be the main challenger for the title. This race up Etna can actually erupt!

• ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3272
    « Reply #32 on: April 05, 2019, 22:59 »

"Get the !"#¤!#"¤% out of my way or Corleone will talk to your boss and you will be finished! Ciao!"
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 4451
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #33 on: April 06, 2019, 08:41 »
    #polartec Polartec-Kometa perhaps the most eager to break it apart with their young riders (do they borrow bikes from Trek-Segafredo?)

They use  #trek last year's bikes

It was really cool to see our #kometa youngsters at the front, Juanpe López was climbing with the best and even felt confident enough to try some attacks :cool we also saw Michel Ries at the front of the race following moves a little later and in the end they finished with Stefano Oldani and Lopez in the first group and Ries a little further behind. I'm looking forward to today to see what the boys and especially Lopez can achieve on Etna.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith
    RIP krebs

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 7769
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014

rote_laterne

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 243
    • Awards: 2019 Tour CQ Game winner
    « Reply #35 on: April 06, 2019, 22:34 »
    10 km to the finish  #wanty Odd Christian Eiking had half a minute to the group of favorites including race leader  #rally McNulty. When the gap fell to 10 seconds attacks from the bunch began an Eiking was swamped in seconds, working for his leader Martin now. McNulty nullified the first attack, then  #neri Quintana went clear, dangling 10 seconds in front of the chasers for around two kilometers when  #wanty Martin went on the attack, catching Quintana and going uncontested for the win and second place in GC. McNulty never seemed in trouble bringing home his lead in fourth place of the stage, 14 off the winner.

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Adriatica Ionica Race[1]

July 24th to 28th

From Venice to Trieste, the Adriatica Ionica Race will come back with an intriguing course suited to all-around riders. From the sea to the Dolomites, through hills and dirty roads, the race promises a big show in Northern Italy

History and culture. Five stages in Northern Italy, between Veneto and Friuli Venezia Giulia. The Adriatica Ionica Race (AIRace) is ready to jump back into the spotlight for its second edition. Five days of racing, each with a different hallmark, organized by the former World Champion Moreno Argentin.

Aiming to unite peoples and traditions, from North-Eastern Italy to the Balkans and the Greece on Venice-Athens track the Adriatica Ionica Race will offer days of great competition between Veneto and Friuli Venezia Giulia, on the Serenissima routes, the domains of the historic Republic of Venice, while hoping to cross the borders in the coming years.

On Wednesday July 24th in Mestre (Venice mainland) the opening stage gives a nod to the sprinters. A 2,7 Km-circuit, to be repeated 30 times, will characterize the opener, assigning the first overall leader jersey featuring intermediate sprints every five laps. A long battle to clinch the leader jersey is expected from the first to the last kilometer.

(as per UCI rules, the criterium does not count for GC)

On day 2, Thursday July 25th, the AIRace will face the “Off-road stage” (Favaro Veneto – Grado, 189 Km), with six sections of dirt roads. Sun and dust or rain and mud: either way a tough challenge to shake-up the GC...

...although the “UNESCO Dolomites Stage” of Friday July 26th, 204,6 Km from Palmanova to the Misurina Lake, in the Tre Cime di Lavaredo’s shadows, will be even harder. The stage 3 including four dolomitic peaks attracts the climbers: the finish line is placed in one of the most enchanting spots of the Alps, recognized as UNESCO world natural heritage site.

On Saturday July 27th, the alpine climbs will give way to the “Gorizia’s Collio” hills, in the stage 4 (Padola – Cormons, Monte Quarin, 204,5 Km). A strong day for explosive riders promises a big show in view of the great finale to be held in Trieste, on Sunday July 28th.

In the last stage (Cormons-Trieste, 133,5 Km) a duel between sprinters and puncheurs I expected. A beautiful final act of a race likely to create great emotions until the last passage on the ascent in Trieste’s old town, where the Adriatica Ionica Race will choose its 2019 winner.

Teams from no less than ten Nations will show up at the start in Mestre , each one fielding seven riders.
    • UCI World Tour:
      • #ef Education First
      • #uae UAE Team Emirates
      • #bahrain Bahrain-Merida
      • #astana Astana Pro Team
      • #trek Trek-Segafredo
      • #deceuninck Deceuninck-Quick Step
      • #dimension Team Dimension Data
      • #movistar Movistar Team
    • UCI Professional:
      • #androni Androni Giocattoli Sidermec
      • #bardiani Bardiani CSF
      • #nippo Nippo-Vini Fantini-Faizané
      • #neri Neri Sottoli-Selle Italia-KTM
      • #roompot Roompot-Charles
      • #vlaanderen Sport Vlaanderen-Baloise
      • #cajarural Caja Rural Seguros RGA
      • #academy Israel Cycling Academy
      • #novonordisk Team Novo Nordisk
    • UCI Continental:
      • #friuli Cycling Team Friuli
    • National teams:
      • #teamit Italy
    The provisional startlist doesn't feature many names yet, but among them are some big ones, like #deceuninck Philippe Gilbert & Remco Evenepoel, #ef Sep Vanmarcke & Hugh Carthy, #dimension Louis Meintjes, #uae Jan Polanc or #androni Fausto Masnada.

Unfortunately there will be no live coverage, but only highlights each evening (21:00 for the criterium, 18:00 for all other stages) on PMG Sport.
     1. source of all text: race website
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    The initial plan was to go a bit further down the Serenissima Routes every year, by the way...

...but instead (same as the 1st one) the second edition of the AIR will take place entirely in Italy again. But well... at least the race is still going on, and attracting quite a good field, by the look of it.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    As per UCI rules, the criterium does not count for GC.

Is this a rule that just applies to European races?

The only reason I ask is because crit stages are ten a penny in US races and they all count in the GC. Some Asian races have them as well - Korea and Taiwan to name two.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    Is this a rule that just applies to European races?

The only reason I ask is because crit stages are ten a penny in US races and they all count in the GC. Some Asian races have them as well - Korea and Taiwan to name two.

I'm not sure, all I found is an "UCI permits criteriums in UCI 2.2 stage races" article from 2011, while the UCI rules don't seem to be 100% clear about it

edt: but yeah, Korea is 2.1...
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    I found something in the ~pdf UCI Road Races Organiser's Guide:

It says for the final stage, 5k+ crit circuits are allowed, for all others it need to be 10k at least (or 7k, if an exception was made), but "circuits under 7 km long are not allowed under any circumstances" (unless it's not a crit but a finishing circuit, which is a different story)

So no idea how Korea (~5k crit) or Tour of Gila (~2k crit) for example got theirs into the race ;)
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7409
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner

Some very rough, narrow sterrato.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1613
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    This is worth a watch

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3280
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    So from Mark "I targeted a specific time to be at peak form" Cavendish, who had the support of an entire chorus of whining media and sports personalities due to his being left off the Tour de France squad, we get this at the Adriatica Ionica Race:

Stage One: 105 Mark Cavendish  #didata Team Dimension Data   + 09:13   

Stage Two: DNF Mark Cavendish  #didata Team Dimension Data

:S
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Today's Events

Recent Posts