collapse

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 2671
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015
Up in Smoke...
« on: January 18, 2019, 17:33 »
I was just carrying on in the shoutbox, and felt this topic warrants some actual discussion.

The legalization of marijuana is sweeping the U.S., state-by-state, and I was curious about the state-of-things elsewhere around the globe. It also leads me to the topic of cigarette smoking in public places, or the lack thereof.

Before I dive too deep into any of this, I'm curious to hear any and all thoughts on either topic. It seems one thread should be enough to for all things smoke-related.

The cannabis business is starting to gain some serious momentum here in the U.S, especially the CBD market. I'm curious as to the development of both of those (THC and non-THC products). Lot's of people, athletes in particular, have claimed some very beneficial effects of CBD oil in regards to inflamation and pain management. As I write this though, I'm not even sure what WADA's stance is on any of this, or the UCI in particular.

Cigarette smoking in public, on the other hand, has been banned here for probably twenty years now (I'll put some numbers and dates together for future entries). And thank God for that. I can't even begin to imagine how polluted my lungs were during the late 80s and early-to-mid 90s due to inhaling vast amounts of second-hand smoke inside the clubs and bars I was performing at. And I still can't believe that it used to be allowed on airplanes.
 :disapointed

So, if need be, sit back, light one up, take a puff and share your stories.  :P

Or, if you're like me, just start typing.   :D
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 7254
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    Re: Up in Smoke...
    « Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 19:52 »
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 12155
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 22:12 »
    :hitch
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6720
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 09:46 »
    I smoked cigarettes for about six or seven years in my twenties. I smoked the odd one or three before that, usually with a drink or three, but I developed the habit after falling in love with a smoker. What started out as sharing cigarettes in the bath or after vigorous interpersonal activities extended to coffee times and after dinner and, when you know you're really in trouble, as a morning jumpstart.

My smoking habit survived that particular relationship but, having suffered from all sorts of chest infections and pneumonia as a kid, I knew I would have to quit eventually. It took three attempts over as many years before I finally beat it. Plus the cold sweats, anxiety, cravings and frankly scary weight gains.

Interestingly, since I quit smoking all those years ago, I have not done any recreational drugs either. I used to enjoy cannabis (hot knives and buckets were best) but it eventually became a life choice and even, during a particularly stressful period, a pre-requisite for getting to sleep at night. And I usually couldn't think straight until about midday the following day.

Since I was quite self-conscious back then, I preferred to remain a solitary pot smoker, putting on headphones and trancing out rather than hanging around with fellow stoners. I would enjoy some marvellous musical experiences while under the influence, rush out to buy the record on the weekend, stick it on the turntable and discover that, to untoasted ears anyway, it was really just garbage.

I have older neighbours who regularly smoke and I catch that unmistakable odour whenever the wind blows west. These are people who may or may not use the stuff for medicinal reasons, I don't know, but it is true that whenever I see them they always seem to be gently intoxicated in some way or other.

If CBD oil really works - I have only heard from friends that it helps their elderly relative - then of course it should be encouraged because it certainly cannot be worse than most of the synthetic junk cooked up by the big pharma labs. What I like in particular is that people can do their homework and procure it for themselves rather than being the usual passive vessel.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 17:03 »
    I smoked cigarettes for about six or seven years in my twenties.

I used to enjoy cannabis (hot knives and buckets were best)...

If CBD oil really works...

All three topics in one post.  :cool

But what the heck are "hot knives and buckets"? :slow

• ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2974
    « Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 23:12 »
    If it is legal or not, is one question, if it is a good thing or not, is another question. (Rant warning issued!  :angry )

Personally I think there are lots of bad ideas out there which should not be forbidden, and that laws for this-that-and-everything that is not enforceable should be avoided, because if one law is disrespected, another one can be disrespected too, and all of a sudden we have this thing going where the whole society can be characterized as having little respect for the laws. That would actually be worse than the entire society smoking pot, in my opinion.

I don't smoke anything (except salmon, once or twice a year :D) but as a passive smoker I sort-of prefer people to smoke marihuana rather than tobacco, because at least it smells better. However, I don't really think it is great that people smoke marihuana either, it is just that there are worse things that can happen. 

I am absolutely no saint, and the wine and beer I consume contains alcohol, and there is some evidence that it is currently a larger problem for society than marihuana. This is of course because mariuhana consumption is still relatively scarce compared to the volumes of alcohol consumed, at least here in Europe. However, a friend of mine who is a pharmacologist pointed out in a discussion, that while alcohol is quite pure and water soluble and leaves the body relatively quickly, smoked plants like marihuana comes with a cocktail of mostly fat-dissolvable toxins. They stay in the body for longer, and some are known carcinogens. The long term effects of high and regular marihuana consumption at a population level are not well known and an increase in certain types of cancer would not come as a surprise. 

However, provided consumers consume drugs in a way that does not harm others, I think the benefits of legalizing should be carefully considered: especially that of taking the money from the drug cartels and giving them to ordinary businesses instead, subject to control and taxation.

Drugs in Europe and in most of North America is not such a big problem,  but the situation in Latin America is gravely serious, and in my opinion, the society there is so saturated with drugs - effective prohibition is no longer an option.   

If the prohibition of drugs doesn't curb usage, it floats the bank accounts  ( or cyber coin purses ) of criminals. (It worsk this way for alcohol too, see USA under the Vollstead act 1920-1933, and Al Capone's business).  In many BIG cities the drug dealers' violent business is one of the key threats to human rights.  For example in the big cities of Brazil. I am quite sure that if you count the numbers of people severely afffected by this situation -  in just Rio and Saõ Paulo -  it will be worse than many more famous armed conflicts that get far more attention in the news.  (For example the enduring Israel/Palestina situation - there's actually only about 8 million living there, and about three times more than that in the SP metropolis alone). I will just leave that as a bit of a warning about what can happen to society when illegal drug dealing essentially becomes a protected business.

I have been thinking that these cities would probably be better off with a few more junkies and fewer favela drug dealer war lords, which means I would rather see liberalization of drug production, trade and consumption instead of violent gangster controlled black markets - I think beating the gangsters on price (and product safety!) is the only way to beat them. I have given up on violence, war on drugs etc -  even extreme reprisals like what is happening on the Philippines currently - I doubt there will be any lasting effect.

All over the world there have been very limited success for very many years in limiting negative effects of drugs with prohibition and confrontation. Almost nothing has really changed since I was a teenager. Maybe it is time to try some other ways to solve the problem?
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain

Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 437
    « Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 19:57 »

I sort-of prefer people to smoke marihuana rather than tobacco, because at least it smells better

Sorry T but have to disagree the acrid, ammonia, cats pee, rank odour of marijuana is far worse to a non smoker than the irritation of tobacco smokers fumes; plus pot smokers seem oblivious to the pervasive nature of the stench into clothes, hair, homes, etc...

Mini rant over, as you were folks!
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 22:11 »
    Well, well, well...

Joe Rogan Experience #1246 - Pot Debate - Alex Berenson & Dr. Michael Hart

Alex Berenson is a former reporter for The New York Times and the author of several thriller novels and a book on corporate financial filings. His new book "Tell Your Children: The Truth About Marijuana, Mental Illness, and Violence" is available now via Amazon. Dr. Michael Hart is the founder and medical director of Readytogo clinic, a medical cannabis clinic in London, Ontario, Canada.
  • ReplyReply

•