collapse

t-72

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 2736
7 Emirs United - with a cycling team?
« on: January 28, 2019, 21:55 »
I couldn't find a dedicated #uae  team UAE thread and of course, as there are no Arabian oil sheiks on the forum to write about it, the Norwegian has to step in.

First up, the 2019 squad presentation:

Emirs: (yep, there are actually 7 emirates in the Union!)
*co Fernando Gaviria
*no Aleksander Kristoff
*ie Dan Martin
*it Fabio Aru
*co Sergio Luis Henao
*pt Rui Costa
*it Diego Ulissi

Princes:
*be Jasper Philipsen
*si Tadej Pogacar
*pt Rui Oliveira
*pt Ivo Oliveira

and the rest of the court, in no particular order:
*no Sven Eirik Bystrøm
*it Simone Consonni
*it Valerio Conti
*hr Kristijan Durasek
*it Roberto Ferrari
*no Vegard Stake Laengen
*it Marco Marcato
*ae Yousef Mirza
*co Sebastian Molano
*it Manuele Mori
*co Cristian Camilo Munoz
*it Simone Petilli
*si Jan Polanc
*it Edward Ravasi
*by Alexandr Riabushenko
*au Rory Sutherland
*ch Tom Bohli

As you can see from the list above, the team still has an Italian backbone, and Colombian, Norwegian and Portuguese present in small groups - but not so large groups that you wouldn't call it an international cycling team with an Italian backbone - although every year it becomes a little bit less Lampre.

The teams' main objectives seems to be to win every sprint with at least one sprinter, and then to get a decent Tour de France result with at least one GC rider at the same time.

So far, they already bagged one WT stage win at Tour down Under, courtesy of Prince Philipsen, so everything seems to be going the right way. We are looking forward to the soap opera and telenovelas to start when the results don't arrive to order, as at some point a team with so many leaders will rupture  when the ambitions and responsibilities are discussed. If Emir Fernando vs Emir Aleksander isn't a big discussion already in March, there's Emir Dan vs Emir Sergio vs Emir Fabio vs Emir Diego Ulissi and all of the above vs all of the the sprinters  in discussions concerning priorities coming up for the Grand Tours. :)

Looking away from the Emirs group, skipping the Princes and looking for the rest of the court - they are 1) too few and 2) maybe just not good enough to serve their group of leaders. Last year, Emir Aleksander often did both 3 position in the sprint train (with Ferrari on his wheel), closing gaps and positioning for the sprint and then the sprint after getting some help from Ferrari. Strangely this often resulted in burn outs where Kristoff's energy just didn't last until the finish line.  It appears they now think Kristoff alone can do 4,3,2 and sprint too, if Gaviria doesn't make it across the Poggio. I am overstating it a bit, if this team can't win the the Milano-San Remo they can still win L-B-L or Lombardia. As a former winner Emir Aleksander is never out of the question in de Ronde, but there's no Paris-Roubaix winner candidate on the team.
I will slip a note here for Strade Bianche: I would really like to see Prince Philipsen leading the team for this race. He was quite good on gravel last year.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 21:18 by t-72, Reason: Mirza\'s flag! »

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7069
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Re: 7 Emirs United - with a cycling team?
    « Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 13:53 »
    #uae Yousef Mirza
    Yousef is sad he doesn't get a flag like the rest of the team. ;)

Last year, Emir Aleksander often did both 3 position in the sprint train (with Ferrari on his wheel), closing gaps and positioning for the sprint and then the sprint after getting some help from Ferrari. Strangely this often resulted in burn outs where Kristoff's energy just didn't last until the finish line.
    It's almost as if Kristoff didn't have unlimited energy and power! :o
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11563
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 13:58 »
    I would really like to see Prince Philipsen leading the team for this race [Strade Bianche]. He was quite good on gravel last year.

I haven't followed him too closely, but don't you think there's too much climbing for him? With the kind of shape he showed in Australia, he'd be dropped as a stone at least.

edit: but the same applies for the rest of the team - all together they have a palmares of one Top 10 (Ulissi) and one Top 20 (Aru) - so that doesn't necisserily mean he shouldn't give it a try ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2736
    « Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 21:17 »
    Yousef is sad he doesn't get a flag like the rest of the team. ;)

I looked and looked for that flag but could only find the Arabian lookalikes.  :angry  Was it there yesterday, or are you laughing at me now?  :lol  :angel

*eh  *jo  *kw  *ly *sd  *sy  *ye

ok, it is there right in front of my eyes (now at least  :S):  *ae

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7069
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 12:19 »
    Was it there yesterday, or are you laughing at me now?  :lol  :angel
    It was there all along. :)
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Smaller Race Results and Discussion 2019 by search
    [February 17, 2019, 21:08]

Re: Smaller Race Results and Discussion 2019 by LukasCPH
    [February 17, 2019, 20:08]

Re: Smaller Race Results and Discussion 2019 by Leadbelly
    [February 17, 2019, 19:14]