collapse

LukasCPH

• World Champion
  • Liked: 7543
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2019, 11:48 »
The business.
That banner ad is from Movistar's Ecuadorean homepage for their mobile devices.
https://www.movistar.com.ec

A better question though: How did the pink bar magically appear at the bottom of my post? :slow
Scroll bar because the image is too wide for our forum 'look'. And since we're still using the Giro theme, it's pink. :)

Yes, I failed to mention the extraordinary talent drain that Movistar are currently in the midst of. All the more reason you'd think they'd desperately want to hold onto Carapaz!

Not to mention, wouldn't the departure of their marque riders mean that extra funds would be availibale to throw at Carapaz as a nice enticement to stay? And if Valverde remains, what better mentor could a rising, Spanish-speaking star hope to encounter? Alejandro—besides any opinions one may have about him—has to be considered one of the most seasoned, accomplished and enduring riders in the history of the sport. How could that possibly compare with riding in the shadow of Froome?
Carapaz, an Ecuadorian cyclist who 'grew up' (in cycling terms) in Colombia and just won the first Grand Tour for his home country - he's pretty much the best advertisement Movistar could hope for in Latin America.
If I were Movistar (the company), I'd sign him to a very-long-term contract with a blank field for salary, to be filled out by him with whatever figure he wants, and just pay him that.

The return on that (substantial) investment is virtually guaranteed. With his Giro win, he's now well on his way to a stardom in Ecuador and beyond that can be compared to that of Boonen in Belgium, or Nibali in Italy (and look what it just brought Nibali).
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Recent Posts

Re: RIP/ memorial announcements by Echoes
    [Today at 12:28]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by Leadbelly
    [November 19, 2019, 19:18]

Re: Tokyo 2020 Olympic Road Race & ITT thread by Leadbelly
    [November 18, 2019, 15:37]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by search