collapse

search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 12828
  • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Bingoal Cycling Cup & More (Dwars door het Hageland)
« on: January 31, 2019, 08:57 »
Bingoal Cycling Cup

The Napoleon Cycling Cup sees a bit of a facelift this year, as Bingoal (just another betting company - maybe even just another brand from the same one?) takes over the sponsorship. There's also a reduction to eight races, with most of the former ones (Le Samyn, Dwars door West-Vlaanderen, Heistse Peil, GP Jef Scherens, Eurométropole Tour and Binche-Chimay-Binche, to be precisely) thrown out:

March 10th      1.1      GP J.P. Monseré
May 26th      1.1      GP Marcel Kint
May 30th      1.1      Circuit Wallonie
June 21st      1.1      Dwars door het Hageland
June 26th      1.1      Halle-Ingooigem – woensdag 26 juni
August 25th      1.1      Schaal Sels
September 20th      1.1      Kampioenschap van Vlaanderen
October 13th      1.1      Memorial Rik Van Steenbergen

GP J.P. Monseré, Circuit Wallonie, Schaal Sels and de Memorial Rik Van Steenbergen (back on the calendar after 7 years) are new to the party. Apart from the lumpy Circuit Wallonie (just upgraded form 1.2) and Dwars door het Hageland, this looks like a very sprinter-friendly schedule.

Coverage in Belgium will be taken over by Sporza, with Eurosport broadcasting all races live as well.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 08:50 by search »
    "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1649
    Re: Bingoal Cycling Cup
    « Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 09:56 »
    These are two different companies, Search. In an article from last November, Directvélo reported that Napoleon Games retired as sponsor but that Nuyens had already found a new sponsor.

Bingoal seems like a very old betting company. I've heard about it for years now.

Let's not forget that the challenge is actually the "Belgian Cup" ("Coupe de Belgique") with the sponsor's name on it. Based on the "Coupe de France" model.

However now all the Walloon races have been thrown out. Reason is a disagreement the organisers of this Belgian Cup and RTBF about coverage norms, says Jean-Luc Vandenbroucke (organiser of Samyn Memorial and Binche-Chimay-Binche) but the Cup status wasn't really a big boost for these races and J-L VDB doesn't think these races will lose much with this removal, in terms of field.

This being said, Michel Leconte of RTBF said that he will support these races and most probably Samyn and Binche will be covered by RTBF this year.  ;)

https://www.dhnet.be/sports/cyclisme/une-coupe-de-belgique-moins-wallonne-5c51f6ead8ad5878f0501aeb
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Re: Bingoal Cycling Cup (le Samyn)
    « Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 10:19 »
    Le Samyn

Tuesday, March 5th

Not part of the cup anymore, but I'll just regard it as some kind of prologue and put it in here anyway ;)

The profile sees a small change compared to recent years. The cobbled Rue du Vert Pignon was taken out, but instead there's the Côte de la Nonnette added to the circuit, and closer to the finish:

Since this circuit was introduced a couple of years ago, we've seen plenty of good races, and with a bit of rain and wind on the schedule for tomorrow, we can be able to expect more of the same I guess.

Three World Tour teams will be at the start, as well as #direct Direct Energie with Niki Terpstra, who won the race twice over the past three years

AG2R LA MONDIALE
    DECEUNINCK QUICK STEP
    LOTTO SOUDA
    ANDRONI GIOCATTOL
    ARKEA – SAMSI
    CAJA RURAL SEGUROS RGA
    COFIDIS – SOLUTIONS CREDIT
    CORENDON CIRCUS
    DIRECT ENERGIE
    ISRAEL CYCLING ACADEMY
    ROOMPOT – NEEDERLANDSE LOTERIJ
    SPORT VLAANDEREN – BALOIS
    VITAL CONCEPT
    WANTY GROUPE GOBERT
    CYCLING TEAM WALLONIE BRUXELLES
    AMORE & VITA
    CANYON DHB P
    CIBEL
    TEAM DIFFERDANGE – GEBA
    LEOPARD PRO CYCLING
    LVIV PRO CYCLING TEAM
    NATURA4EVER ROUBAIX LILLE METROPOLE
    SWIFTCARBON PRO CYCLING
    TARTELLETO – ISOREX
    WIGGINS TEAM

Among Terpstra's biggest challengers for the win are probably guys like #quickstep Senechal & Cavagna, #ag2r Gougeard & Vandenbergh, #lotto Keukeleire, #cofidis Claeys, #corendon de Bondt, #academy van Asbroeck, #roompot Boom, #vital Boeckmans & de Backer, #wanty Backaert and #wallonie Planckaert. Unfortunately Tom Pidcock is not an #wiggins Wiggins line-up for the day.

The race is live on Eurosport and RTBF Deux on from ~15:00 cet.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3271
    « Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 23:05 »
    It's the Rue de Bellevue x 4  :cool that defines this race, the other cobbled section they used to have were "flemish" good looking cobbles but the Bellevue was very far from a pretty sight and is more properly regarded as a lesser known cousin of the Portes-de-Hainaut variety..

I know there are several here on VR that are fans of this race (including myself) and the main reason for that is the epic 2017 edition featuring Guillaume van Keirsbulck vs the less known Alex Kirsch, on they horrible cobbles - in the worst weather possible. In the end, Van Keirsbulck nailed the final attack to win it - but it looked like if the race was another 400 meters someone would have to pick up the riders and carry them to the finish line.

I often watch races recorded when I come home after work, but my cable-box doesn't have a large hard disk so I can't store races for long and typically delete them when watched. This is one of two races from the 2017 season still on my disk!

I don't think I can recommend it any more than that! :cool

Bring on the Bellevue!  :onfire2
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 09:35 »
    it should be a fun race for sure. By the look of it #lotto Keukeleire is not starting though

Here's the profile of the new finishing circuit:

and a video of the added (3 star) climb, replacing a flat one star section:

https://twitter.com/TomDbw/status/1102565764165439488

looks short but very tough
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 23:20 »
    Excellent race once again, save for the fact that about the first images I saw was my "local guy on a pro team"  #academy August Jensen sitting by a wall, obviously in pain, with what looked like a broken collarbone. 

This year, relatively nice conditions and one strong rider in the race back with less of a team made the race quite exciting as it was mostly #quickstep wolves against #direct Terpstra, and as usual the wolfpack, having isolated their prey, made the kill although I felt something must be badly wrong when it seemed like the Tim Declercq would take it in the slowest solo finish ever, pedaling at about 30 RPM (as usual he had emptied his tank a couple of times in the race already, it was the classic wrong man who got away).

#quickstep Senechal is much quicke, but he did not come easy to this victory (even if I noticed him smiling on one of the hardest climbs). He has 2 top 5 in this race from before. It is not an easy race to win - another true cobbled classic element, experience pays off in Le Samyn.

I really liked seeing Terpstra in a new role today, taking more responsibility for shaping the race although at least one of his domestiques suffered a flat tire at the wrongest moment and the bear Gaudin this year doesn't look the same as last year. It is like he still hasn't completely returned from his hibernation. Even with these challenges, #direct Direct Energie looked like a better organized team than I have seen in a long time - the new captain has definetly taken the helm there.

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    Re: Bingoal Cycling Cup (GP Monseré)
    « Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 14:29 »
    Grote Prijs Jean-Pierre Monseré

Sunday, March 10th

After a nice little prelude on Tuesday, the real battle for the Bingoal Cycling Cup heads off on Sunday.

And it does so, with a fairly flat and not too challenging race around Roeselaere:

Last year it ended up in a sprint won by #monkeytown André Looij, but now the cobbled Gitsberg was added to the finishing circuit, which could provice a nice springboard for attacks.

For a 1.1 race at not exactly the most convenient place in the cycling calendar, the organizers manages to attract a good number of high profile teams:
    • #lotto Lotto-Soudal
    • #direct Direct Energie
    • #cofidis Cofidis
    • #vitalconcept Vital Concept
    • #arkea Arkea-Samsic
    • #academy Israël Cycling Academy
    • #androni Androni Giacattoli
    • #wallonie WB Aquaprotect - Veranclassic
    • #wanty Wanty Groupe Gobert
    • #topsport Sport Vlaanderen Baloise
    • #roompot Roompot - Charles
    • #amore Amore & Vita - Prodir
    • #canyon Canyon DHB
    • #monkeytown Monkey Town
    • #tarteletto Tarteletto Isorex
    • #cibel Cibel - Cebon
    • #ccc CCC Development Team
    • #evopro EvoPro Racing
    • #metec Metec - TKH
    • #bikeaid Bike Aid
    • #differdange Team Differdange - GeBa
    • #swift SwiftCarbon Pro Cycling
    The ~pdf provisional startlist looks fairly sprint-heavy, with guys like #lotto Blythe, #wanty Dupont, #androni Pelucchi, #cofidis Hofstetter, #vital Manzin, #direct Boudat, #academy Raim & van Asbroeck, #roompot van Staeyen, #tarteletto Vantomme or #evopro Wippert on there, so there will probably be more teams trying to keep things together than those hoping for an attacking race.

It'll be live on Sporza and probably also on some kind of Eurosport (player channel)
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 08:22 »
    https://twitter.com/Flahutecc/status/1104091446607572992

#lotto Blythe is out of it by the way as his wife gave birth to twins. The only WT team not having a sprinter around anymore could potentially open the race up a bit more, but their lineup isn't particularly strong tbh.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 11:20 »
    What a promotion for the GP Monseré. Last year, it was held on July 7th and still a very small race, with a poor field. Now it belongs to the Belgian Cup.

By the way, I think there's another race named after Jempi Monseré, which is held in or around Retie, close to Antwerp where the great champion passed away. Roeselaere being the place where he was born and raised. :)

http://velorooms.com/index.php?topic=9092.0
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7409
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 12:53 »
    Race cancelled due to strong winds: Force 7 on the Beaufort scale, gusts up to force 9.
    That's a veritable storm. :woooo
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 13:36 »
    Stormy here in Brussels too. Though I didn't really feel it this morning but colleagues of mine who later came to work told me.  :S It really rose up between 12am to 1.30pm.

I'm still against cancellation though. It's a disgrace compared to all the races that had been held in extreme weather conditions in the history of this sport.  :-x
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 10:01 »
    it was probably to the better to stop the race though

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    Danilith Nokere Koerse

Wednesday, March 20th

I'll just keep on hijacking this thread for more racing in Belgium. This time in good weather, and it goes seven times up the Nokereberg.

After Nokere Koerse somehow had turned from a hard men's into a sprinters race, the organizers have tried to turn things around a bit by making it more difficult again over the past editions. Therefor last year the cobbled Huisepontweg was added to the finishing circuit, but as it didn't spice up things too much, they have gone for a difficult approach this time.

Instead of staying on the local circuit, for the final two laps they'll now go for a bigger loop including the Lange Aststraat, closely followed by the Kloosterstraat, Lededorp, Huisepontweg, Wannegem-Dorp and the Kouterstraat - all cobbled, and all inside the final ~12k - before they head back to Nokere for the usual finish on the Nokereberg.

With that fairly hard looking new finish, there's obviously the risk that nothing at all will happen until they reach that final stretch - but at least the race should be almost sure to explode on from then, I guess, so it's worth a try I think :cool.

The list of participating teams looks good as well

and with guys like #corendon van der Poel & Devolder, #uae Philipsen, #quickstep Senechal, #trek Kirsch, #sky Doull, #wallonie Planckaert, #roompot Boom, #vital de Backer or #wanty Offredo and friends lining up, it should be a fun race to watch.

And you can do so live on Eurosport or probably also on Sporza on from ~15:15 cet tomorrow afternoon.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 16:23 by search »

search

• World Champion

search

• World Champion
    here's the final start list for today:

~pdf Deelnemerslijst Danilith Nokere Koerse

seeing that final lap profile above, the changes compared to last year are actually minimal, contrary to what I first understood, and said above. The only change during the final 12k is, that the race doesn't head straight from the Lange Aststraat onto the Huisepontweg, but takes a little detour through Lede.

those cobbles there aren't really tough, but roads are narrow and it's slightly uphill now before they enter the Huisepontweg (~1k at 3% or so). Last year it was actually pretty close to not come come back together for a sprint already, this could make the difference.

But obviously, the chances for it to end up in a sprint are larger than what I first though. In that case, guys like #bora Ackermann, #uae Philipsen, #wanty Dupont or maybe #deceuninck Hodeg, #trek Moschetti, #cofidis Bouhanni, #nippo Lobato or #sky Halvorsen are probably some to watch out for.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2920
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    For those who didn't see it.
    Mathieu van der Poel involved in a serious crash at the end of today's Nokere Koerse.
    He spent a long time on the deck, before being taken away by ambulance.

https://twitter.com/PlataformaRC/status/1108410169178886145

A five man breakaway went clear early in the day, consisting of David Boucher (Tartelleto-Isorex), Otto Vergaerde (Correndon-Circus), Axel Journiaux (Direct Energie), Yohann Offredo (Wanty-Groupe Gobert), and Mattia Viel (Androni Giocattoli-Sidermec).

The peloton allowed the escapees a significant gap, stretching out to seven minutes with 100km left of racing.
    The complex and winding course saw a number of significant crashes, as the peolotn began to chase and attacks started to go off from the front. There were a few last-ditch attempts came from the smaller teams in the closing stages, but nothing with conviction, as Bora returned to the front for Ackermann with Quick-Step’s train close behind.
     As the race hit the final cobbled run to the line, a huge crash near the front of the bunch caused chaos, with van der Poel hitting the floor and staying down.

Walscheid was also taken down in the crash, but Cees Bol took over the sprint and succeeded in taking Sunweb's first win of the season.

• ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

search

• World Champion
    For those who didn't see it.
    Mathieu van der Poel involved in a serious crash at the end of today's Nokere Koerse.
    He spent a long time on the deck, before being taken away by ambulance.
    it seems like it was not as bad as it looked like though, and Devolder doesn't need to step in to take the captain's role and win the Ronde

Nokere Koerse didn’t end as we expected. A nasty crash for Mathieu van der Poel in the final straight line and afterwards they took him away with the ambulance to the hospital. Luckily, no fractures has been determined. Only abrasions and bruises. With these circumstances, he will be able to complete his road program as planned

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvPPxTXH34a/

edit: other riders who crashed pretty hard were #trek Matteo Moschetti and #tarteletto Floris Gerts

https://twitter.com/TrekSegafredo/status/1108424232948641793

no info on Gerts yet, as far as I can see.

edit 2: only because I misspelled his name though.

(gt) “He was bleeding from his ear and had a split left eyebrow. His father, who is a doctor, joined the ambulance. I hope that everything will be fine with Floris, "said sports director Peter Bauwens.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    Just finished watching the race (taped, if I can call it that, late replay of final 50 kms on Eurosport player). I had mixed feelings about the whole thing after a while. I love watching Belgian one-day races, but this one became a crashtravaganza with the final that will be remembered being only the final fall in a long series of incidents.

I saw some tumbles caused by racer errors like #sky Owain Doull touching wheels with someone on a straight road. The final fall looked like a similar case, although the downhill to uphill to cobbles transition in the final might have played a role. Not sure if #sunweb Walscheid twisted his wheel and went down because of that or if it was the the other way round, but it if anyone can twist wheels, it´s Walscheid: he is the heaviest and strongest rider, and as Stig Kristiansen (DS with #unox) put it: also the fastest top speed, but needs a slight downhill with tailwind to make that advantage a winning one. An uphill cobbled sprint isn´t Walscheid territory, and when he steps on the pedal with full force, leans his bike over, pulling hard on the grips and hits the cobbles - something on that bike seemed to give, and the wheel was twisted afterwards.

A couple of the other crashes involved a big peloton that didn´t manage to ´slim down´ from a wide two-lane road to a narrow single-lane, shedding riders left and right onto grass and into ditches as a result.  The race organizers could certainly have done more to avoid this by creating a narrowing race lane on the wide road using markers or fences. However, this element (onto a narrow lane) is almost mandatory in Belgian races so riders lacking skills and experience seems to play a role as well. Conditions were worse at Le Samyn, but crashes were fewer, maybe because the riders were more experienced and the race (made) harder, so the less experienced riders were happy to pedal home while Terpstra battled the wolfpack and lost.

In comparison, the final in Nokere was dominated by a larger group of less experienced riders with a serious chance of winning. I guess that´s part of the recipe for a high risk behavior.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    A couple of the other crashes involved a big peloton that didn´t manage to ´slim down´ from a wide two-lane road to a narrow single-lane, shedding riders left and right onto grass and into ditches as a result.  The race organizers could certainly have done more to avoid this by creating a narrowing race lane on the wide road using markers or fences. However, this element (onto a narrow lane) is almost mandatory in Belgian races so riders lacking skills and experience seems to play a role as well. Conditions were worse at Le Samyn, but crashes were fewer, maybe because the riders were more experienced and the race (made) harder, so the less experienced riders were happy to pedal home while Terpstra battled the wolfpack and lost.

In comparison, the final in Nokere was dominated by a larger group of less experienced riders with a serious chance of winning. I guess that´s part of the recipe for a high risk behavior.
    Yeah, I think the hardness of the race plays a role here. Nokere is 'easy' enough that many are still in the peloton on the final lap, and don't feel completely wasted - and then they all believe they might just win and start taking risks.
  • ReplyReply

• Blackbandit222

• National Champion
    • Liked: 225
    Not sure if #sunweb Walscheid twisted his wheel and went down because of that or if it was the the other way round, but it if anyone can twist wheels, it´s Walscheid: he is the heaviest and strongest rider, and as Stig Kristiansen (DS with #unox) put it: also the fastest top speed, but needs a slight downhill with tailwind to make that advantage a winning one. An uphill cobbled sprint isn´t Walscheid territory, and when he steps on the pedal with full force, leans his bike over, pulling hard on the grips and hits the cobbles - something on that bike seemed to give, and the wheel was twisted afterwards.

Looks like Walscheid was clipped as he pulled off and faded back through group by Szymon Wojciech Sajnok (21 yro).  The Polish rider attempting to pass two Wallonie riders on the inside specifically Planckaert.

https://www.flobikes.com/events/6306659-2019-nokere-koerse/videos?playing=6402160&limit=60
  • ReplyReply
  • Sagan supporter.

search

• World Champion
    Re: Bingoal Cycling Cup & More (de Panne)
    « Reply #20 on: March 25, 2019, 13:17 »
    Driedaagse Brugge-De Panne

Wednesday, March 27th

As some may remember, de Panne used to be a great race.

No idea what this is supposed to be though, or who thought it would be a good idea to upgrade it to World Tour status even:

Last year some strong wind spiced up things a bit at least, but with none of that on the forecast this week, it could be a fairly dull Wednesday afternoon.

All World Tour teams apart from #ag2r AG2R, #bahrain Bahrain, #groupama Groupama FDJ are around and the field is filled up with the usual PCT suspects for racing in Belgium.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2920
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #21 on: March 25, 2019, 14:47 »
    Driedaagse Brugge-De Panne

Wednesday, March 27th

No idea what this is supposed to be though, or who thought it would be a good idea to upgrade it to World Tour status even:

Last year some strong wind spiced up things a bit at least, but with none of that on the forecast this week, it could be a fairly dull Wednesday afternoon.

All World Tour teams apart from #ag2r AG2R, #bahrain Bahrain, #groupama Groupama FDJ are around and the field is filled up with the usual PCT suspects for racing in Belgium.

Snap.

It's Friday's Bredene Koksijde Classic all over again.
    Once again, well done the UCI for fixing a calendar that wasn't broken.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #22 on: March 26, 2019, 19:11 »

A test run for Sunday's Gent-Wevelgem? ;)
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #23 on: March 26, 2019, 19:51 »
    I don't think you've watched Gent Wevelgem for the past couple of years?! ;D
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #24 on: March 27, 2019, 06:56 »
    I don't think you've watched Gent Wevelgem for the past couple of years?! ;D
    I have - but it's really not the most memorable race for me. :P
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #25 on: March 27, 2019, 08:37 »
    I see ;). This looks more like a test run for the Scheldeprijs today, if at all.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #26 on: March 27, 2019, 23:22 »
    The parcours was actually so challenging that one of the competitors said "everything that is sh*t about Belgian races crammed into one day" and his point was that there was a never ending stream of narrow streets, 90 degree turns and obstacles like the infamous crack of death, randomly placed steps (!), miscellaneous road furniture etc making it challenging to get through the race safely.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #27 on: March 28, 2019, 07:13 »
    well, yeah, or as Nico Mattan would say: "It was better before".

:beer
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #28 on: March 28, 2019, 20:39 »
    Looks like a good guy paying attention to his replenishments and I bet he was better before too (not to speak of yours truly  :lol )
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    Dwars door het Hageland

Friday, June 21st

the Strade Bianche van Vlaanderen is on today! :)

Live on Sporza on from ~15:30, and with a decent start list. #total Terpstra is probably the favorite, but one of the #telenet Telenet crossers (Aerts, Hermans) getting the win would be no surprise either
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Today's Events

Recent Posts