collapse

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 7859
  • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014

t-72

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 3296
Re: Man Down - Injury Reports 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 18:56 »
+ Concussion and bruises for #uae Vegard Stake Laengen

EDIT: in the same crash i assume
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3296
    « Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 21:55 »
    #riwal Riwal-Readynez' Krister Hagen is barred from competition due to heart condition discovered in #riwal routine EKG heart health check. Surgery to take place early February. A date for when Hagen can return to racing for his new team has not been set.

This has raised a few eyebrows here, because Krister is not a young racer anymore and he has spent quite a few seasons with Aleksander Kristoff's part-owned #coop outfit. They're supervised by Kristoff's coach (and step-father) Stein Ørn, and his off-duty outside sports occupation (no idea how many hours that man has in day) is that he is a medical doctor specialized in (you guessed it) the heart. #coop obviously did not perform the same types of health checks for their riders.

Thumbs up to Riwal-Readynez for taking good care of their employees  :cool !
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3009
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 22:20 »
     Sounds as if Ben Swift could be out for a while.
    A Tenerife training accident and an injury that his training partner is all too familiar with.

https://twitter.com/swiftybswift/status/1098689019985182720
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 7859
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 12960
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

rote_laterne

• Domestique
    • Liked: 251
    • Awards: 2019 Tour CQ Game winner
    « Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 21:34 »
    https://twitter.com/TeamINEOS/status/1124730685154054144

Broken collarbone for  #ineos Bernal after training crash.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3407
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 16:14 »
    Old-ish news by now, but just wanted to keep track of things.
    (Was this posted anyone else, and I just missed it?)

The Movistar team have confirmed that Alejandro Valverde will not be able to take in the Giro d’Italia after failing to recover from a bone edema in his sacrum.

I hadn't realized that that pre-Liege training ride where this accident occurred also happened to be his 39th birthday.

Curse of the Rainbow Jersey?

Or might this time off give him "fresh" legs for the TdF?
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 462
    « Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 12:18 »
    Well more serious than an injury but put here anyway:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/48214077

Verey sad to see the fleetingly imperious Kittel step away from the sport.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 00:42 »
    So as not to swamp the Dauphiné thread...

https://twitter.com/joelindsey/status/1138950891367673856

Disturbing.

“At the start of the descent, Chris wanted to blow his nose and, at that moment, a sharp gust of wind pushed him against a low wall along the side of the road,” Team Ineos general manager Dave Brailsford told VeloNews afterward. At the time, Froome was riding a time-trial bike with a high-profile front wheel that’s more prone to being pushed around in gusty conditions. According to reports, Froome was going 37 miles per hour when he hit the wall. He is definitely out of the 2019 Tour de France.

Team Ineos issued a press release on Wednesday detailing Froome’s injuries: a fractured right femur, elbow, ribs (the team didn’t say how many), and possibly a hip. Froome didn’t lose consciousness but was apparently almost unable to speak in the moments after the crash. He was taken by an ambulance and then helicopter to a regional hospital in Roanne, and was transferred again to a larger facility in Saint-Etienne. “It’ll take quite a long time before he races again,” said Brailsford, according to the BBC.

Those are chilling words. Brailsford normally puts on an optimistic face for the press, whatever the circumstances; for him to sound so grim in this situation is telling. And he’s likely right that we won’t see Froome again for some time, almost certainly not until next season.

An AFP report on the crash noted that a witness to the accident said Froome had suffered an open (or compound) fracture, which means that a bone fragment displaced enough to break the skin. If that’s true, it’s concerning, because this kind of break can cause additional injuries and increase the risk of infection. The AFP quoted Brailsford as saying Froome was in “a very, very serious condition.”
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4011
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 02:10 »
    I am so sorry for Froome

No matter who the rider or the circumstances around - an injury that serious is really difficult to deal with.

I wish him and his family the best of luck for his recovery. 
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 08:38 »
    "From 54kph to a dead stop."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/48617835

Given the extent of his injuries it is going to be some time before any sort of recovery timeline can be estimated.
    Let's just hope for the best.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 14:03 »
    Let's just hope for the best.

This really does sound like a horrific crash, with very serious implications. Just terrible.

As I mentioned previously, the reporting of this incident was rare in that all the rumors that were swirling around turned out to be true. As it was unfolding, it didn't seem likely that everything being spoken of could've transpired. It's usually a case of this or that, or of miscommunication, etc.

Hearing about wind; collision with a wall; broken femur, hip, elbow, ribs; open, compound fractures—I had imagined that when the dust settled, the facts would reflect a much narrower incident. But to discover that it was "all of the above" was pretty shocking.

I can only imagine his to be a long road to recovery. I hope he gets there, as cycling is utterly unimportant in the larger context for both him and his family.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1619
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    « Reply #13 on: June 13, 2019, 14:19 »
    A couple of the doctors have suggested that it ‘shouldnt’ be Career ending.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1613
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #14 on: June 13, 2019, 15:16 »
    Compound fracture of the femur. The man looked up and saw his own leg, inside out (probably - I'm speculating). I guarantee that was a come-to-jesus moment. A lot of people start screaming for mama right about then - if not out loud - then in their mind. The pain would be 12 on a scale of 10.

Thoughts of Phinney. Phinney had soft tissue damage that hampered his long term recovery. A lot of how well Froome will recover will depend on that. If it was ONLY a "simple" compound fracture - only involving the bones - he should recover well and could be back racing next year. It might take another year to get back to full form, but Froome has proven he is stubborn, so next year. Especially, given the magic of today's orthopedic surgery and treatments.

He'll probably hate riding in the rain. His every fracture will ache in ugly weather. Well, maybe. Lots of folks don't have that issue.

“It was the worst crash I ever saw,” Poels told the Belgian daily Het Nieuwsblad. “I was just 10 meters behind, and I saw everything. Chris was lucky because there was an ambulance just a bit down the road and others from other teams took care of him. I kept going. I was in shock for an hour afterward.”
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #15 on: June 15, 2019, 06:42 »
    I wish him and his family the best of luck for his recovery. 

after several hours of medical assistance on the roadside near Roanne, Froome was airlifted to hospital.

That makes it sound as if his life were on the line.

It's crazy that the doctors are now speculating on a return to cycling within six months. Who cares? It's a damn sport and the guy has already secured both his legacy and a fortune. Get some perspective. It's just cycling. It doesn't matter if he returns or not. He could've died in that crash.

I can't imagine even getting on a TT bike after that.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #16 on: June 15, 2019, 10:26 »
    I had the misfortune of witnessing a compound fracture of the leg when I was at uni playing football. It happened to my mate Tim. Several guys were in tears and two I remember being sick at the sight of a bone poking out of the skin. I wish him all the very best in his recovery.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #18 on: June 15, 2019, 14:38 »
    Did Cancellara catch him?
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #19 on: June 15, 2019, 18:25 »
    This Froome stuff should probably be placed into its own thread, but the details just keep getting worse.

Chris Froome suffered fractures to his sternum and the C7 neck vertebrae, as well as his right femur, elbow and ribs, during his crash at the Critérium du Dauphiné, meaning he could be in hospital for up to six weeks and need six months to fully recover.

Team Inoes boss Dave Brailsford confirmed that Froome also suffered some 'internal damage’, with these injuries apparently worrying doctors more than the sternum and vertebrae fractures.

Giorgio Gresta, the surgeon who operated on Froome’s elbow, told La Gazzetta dello Sport that the four-time Tour de France winner lost close to two litres of blood but suggested that Froome can recover from all his injuries.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #20 on: June 18, 2019, 14:44 »
     Mmmm, given what I was told, last weekend and now this, I won't be placing any money on Tom Dumoulin winning the Tour.

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/1140960819154497536
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #21 on: June 18, 2019, 14:53 »
    it's a bit of a strange story. By the sound of it, they tried to avoid a surgery initially, had him starting the Dauphine with a splinter in his knee, and as it only got worse, decided to still do the surgery afterwards. And then immediately sent him to the altitude camp.

But yes, he probably won't be ready for the Tour. Or any other race this year, if they keep gambling with his health
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #22 on: June 18, 2019, 15:31 »
    Not an active pro rider, I know, but still...

The sport is unkind.

phil gaimon tweets
    Wow, man, thanks for posting this. I had NOT seen these, and I get tweets from Phil all the time. WTF, idk. I was REALLY excited to hear about his Olympic track hopes, so this is bad news.

What a crazy year for accidents. Hey, you know what's crazy? There are people out there - I saw it on twitter - that think the Froome crash was faked, and is part of a conspiracy to cover up some sort of doping discovery. omfg. Conspiracy theorists. If I find anything more on this that is worth posting, I'll put it over in the Dark Side.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #23 on: June 18, 2019, 15:32 »
    Mmmm, given what I was told, last weekend and now this, I won't be placing any money on Tom Dumoulin winning the Tour.

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/1140960819154497536
    Sorry, what were you told last weekend? Although given the poor recovery of the knee so far, I have to agree with your conclusion.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7459
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #26 on: June 18, 2019, 18:06 »
    Next please!

https://twitter.com/tds/status/1140991785688346627
    Wow. And I don't mean van Aert. Which year was it Froome crashed on the TdF cobble stage? That was Nibali's only Tour - 2014, right? Ok, Vincenzo. Iiiiiitttt's TIME!

Actually, Thomas may not be that bothered by this crash. We'll have to wait and see. But the dynamics of this Tour are certainly getting changed by the whims of Chance. That daffy old b*tch.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner

search

• World Champion
    « Reply #28 on: June 18, 2019, 19:21 »
    Rasch also says "he looked okay". He was taken out of the race by the team doctor because of the cut above his eye brown

edit: here's also an interview with Bernal:

not many news in there, but wow... when I met him in Sibiu, he didn't speak a single word of English :o
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #29 on: June 18, 2019, 19:47 »
    not many news in there, but wow... when I met him in Sibiu, he didn't speak a single word of English :o

Or so he led you to believe.  :P
  • ReplyReply

•