collapse

Echoes

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1752
Re: Tribute to Kevin Pauwels (for his last race)
« on: March 04, 2019, 17:59 »
https://www.wielerkrant.be/nieuws/2019-02-12/niels-albert-richt-zich-tot-kevin-pauwels-geen-veelwinnaar-maar-je-mag-trots-zijn

Niels Albert Has Nice Words About Kevin Pauwels After Retirement

Niels Albert is addressing Kevin Pauwels : « Not a prolific winner but you may be proud »

Albert crossed against Pauwels for many years and was thereby a major opponent. He wrote a column in Het Laatste Nieuws :

« Hello Kevin,

It will be all right in your further life, mate. You may be proud of the career you’ve made, even though you weren’t much of a prolific winner and this well-deserved World or Belgian title which you were predicted with absolute certainty when you turned pro and which could have made your palmares complete. »

« Without a doubt you had the potential for it. Power (« op overschot », I don’t know how to translate). Enough technical skills. Unfortunately you did not have the easier opponents : Nys, Stybar, myself. Eventually also Van Aert  and Van der Poel. And if I may say, you also missed that little bit of killer instinct, in my opinion. The composure to definitively drop your opponent. »

« Always friendly and considerate, in your typical way. Nice ! Even a bit too nice ! I still consider it a quality than a flaw. I most of all give you credit for it. Personally I never had any feud with you, Kevin. I just didn’t manage it. Even though you weren’t the easier opponent to race against. Not the man who broke the race open, not too many initiative taken. »

« As opponent you knew it. So just : deal with it. You, rightly so, relied much more often on your main weapons : a powerful final acceleration.  Or else your razor-sharp sprint, with which you beat me half January 2011 in the Pontchâteau World Cup event after a heart-stopping battle. Forever it remains my best memory of you. How frighteningly hard did you race in that period, man ! »

-----------

My memory of Pontchâteau is that Kevin took more turns in the lead than Niels. Occasionally Niels seemed frustrated when Kevin refused to take turns but whether that means he went on a feud with him there's a step you wouldn't make.

I also like the headline of this article by Guy Van Den Langenbergh of Gazet van Antwerpen:

“Wie weinig zegt, kan ook niet veel verkeerd zeggen” (He who don't say much can neither say much wrong)
https://www.gva.be/cnt/dmf20190222_04198832/afscheid-van-kevin-pauwels-wie-weinig-zegt-kan-ook-niet-veel-verkeerd-zeggen

That's how you usually become shy.  :)
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Recent Posts

Re: Milano - Sanremo by Echoes
    [August 09, 2020, 12:35]

Re: 2020 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by t-72
    [August 08, 2020, 22:22]

Re: 2020 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by Leadbelly
    [August 08, 2020, 21:49]

Re: Milano - Sanremo by t-72
    [August 08, 2020, 12:08]

Re: Milano - Sanremo by search
    [August 08, 2020, 11:55]

Re: Milano - Sanremo by t-72