collapse

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 2783
  • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
Saturday 9 March - Dust whirls (based upon the weather forecast) over the Tuscan hills - welcome in the Strade Bianche.

The route amounts to 184 kilometres and one-third is played out on gravel roads, often firmly uphill.
Strade Bianche is one of the most photogenetic races on the calendar. Riders get on their bikes and leave the ancient town of Siena to enter a ride with medieval characteristics. In the rolling landscape of Tuscany the toughest sections are on twisting gravel paths. Last year’s race was played out in pouring rain and winner Tiesj Benoot crossed the line wearing a yellow-brownish mud mask.

At kilometre 130 the endgame begins with the presence of the Monte Sante Marie climb. Sector 8 amounts to 11.5 kilometres and is arguably the toughest of all sterrati at the Strade Bianche. It runs mostly uphill, although the strip also features some tricky descents.
Tiesj Benoot bridges across to the leading duo just before the penultimate sterrato. Strade di Colle Pinzuto is the dust stretch which amounts to 2.4 kilometres and the steepest ramp is located at the beginning. But no time for a breather after the 15% ramp, as the road rises gradually all the way until the end.

The final gravel road is a 1.1 kilometres toil, opening with a short descent and closing with 18% gradients.

With 5 kilometres to go the road flies downhill, only to go back up again in the last kilometre. Entering the city walls of Siena, a 16% sector welcomes the riders. Then a sharp turn to the right, left, and right again. The finish is at Il Campo, Siena’s iconic square that looks a bit like a theatre.

Previous winners
2018 | BENOOT Tiesj  *be
2017 | KWIATKOWSKI Michał  *pl
2016 | CANCELLARA Fabian  *ch
2015 | ŠTYBAR Zdeněk  *cz
2014 | KWIATKOWSKI Michał  *pl
2013 | MOSER Moreno  *it
2012 | CANCELLARA Fabian  *ch
2011 | GILBERT Philippe  *be
2010 | IGLINSKIY Maxim  *kz
2009 | LÖFKVIST Thomas  *se

Map:

Profile:

Last 20kms:

Sienna finish:

Favourites 2019 Strade Bianche
:*:*:*:*:* Zdenek Stybar, #deceuninck Tim Wellens  #lotto
:*:*:*:* Greg Van Avermaet, #ccc Julian Alaphilippe, #deceuninck Alexey Lutsenko #astana
:*:*:*  Gianni Moscon, #sky Wout van Aert, #sunweb Tiesj Benoot  #lotto
:*:*  Bauke Mollema, #trek Jakob Fuglsang, #astana Michael Valgren  #didata
:* Vincenzo Nibali, #bahrain Geraint Thomas, #sky Maximilian Schachmann, #bora Rui Costa #uae

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 12:03 by Mellow Velo »
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 7573
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    Let's just say it's no coincidence that my week off begins on Saturday. :shh
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 12644
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    good to see Benoot around :cool

A couple of days ago I read that Lotto changed Wellens plans (of doing Paris Nice) because they want to practice the leadout train for Ewan by the way. Was Wellens intitially lined up for this as well though (Strade Bianche + Paris-Nice is rather unusual) or was he added now that he is doing Tirreno anyway?
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3182
    RCS makes maps that are a bit hard to get to, on their webpage they often crop them to fit a template someone in a web design company obviously thinks looks very good. It doesn't matter if 1/4 of the race course goes missing. Here's the full version with the southern loop in the Montalcino area included:

• ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1601
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3182
    Startlist:

Outsider tag on two neo-pros that did well on gravel last year: #uae Jasper Philipsen and #dimension  Rasmus Tiller. I don't really expect to see them podium but it will be interesting to see how they ride.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7317
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    RCS makes maps that are a bit hard to get to, on their webpage they often crop them to fit a template someone in a web design company obviously thinks looks very good. It doesn't matter if 1/4 of the race course goes missing.
    Yeah, that bugs me to no end. :angry
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Francois the Postman

• National Champion
    • Liked: 955
    if they get half the weather we had here today they better bring snorkels
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner

Snorkels not needed tomorrow. Rather benign, but I don't think the course needs weather to be exciting.
  • ReplyReply

• rote_laterne

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 230
    Last year was epic but I think tomorrow will also be a great race I'm not sure I can watch.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    *be Het Nieuwsblad
    :*:*:*:*:* Alaphilippe
    :*:*:*:* Wellens, van Avermaet
    :*:*:* Benoot, Lutsenko, Stybar
    :*:* Moscon, Schachmann, Mollema, Valgren
    :* Nibali, Kreuziger, Dillier, van Aert, Küng

no star ratings in Gazzetta :(

don't think Alaphilippe is the favourite by the way.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
     An interesting piece in which top riders give their impression of the race.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/fabian-cancellara-dont-compare-strade-bianche-paris-roubaix-409932

Checking around the various schedules, Rai 2's timings seem a bit at odds with the race schedule and show only the men's race.

Atm, Sporza and L'Equipe look to be kicking off first, at 12-25cet, for the women's race, followed by the men's at 13-50cet. The finish is due around 15-30cet, unless you are watching Rai 2. :D
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    Checking around the various schedules, Rai 2's timings seem a bit at odds with the race schedule and show only the men's race.

Atm, Sporza and L'Equipe look to be kicking off first, at 12-25cet, for the women's race, followed by the men's at 13-50cet. The finish is due around 15-30cet, unless you are watching Rai 2. :D

RCS has sent out a press release regarding the coverage yesterday:

– The international broadcast feed of the 13th edition of the Strade Bianche NamedSport, produced by the host broadcaster RAI, will cover the final two hours of the race live, and will be distributed in 151 countries around the world and cover all five continents across 14 different TV networks. Record coverage for the Strade Bianche Women Elite Namedsport, now in its 5th edition, which will be covered in the last hour of racing.

In Italy, the men's race will be broadcast by the public broadcaster RAI 2, which will broadcast the women's race on its digital platforms with a repeat the following day on RAI Sport + HD.

Free-to-view coverage in Europe will be available to viewers in France via La Chaine L'Équipe and in Belgium on the screens of VRT Sporza, while the rest of the territories of the Old Continent will be covered by Eurosport, as well as in 11 territories of the Asia and Pacific region. Still in the Far East, Japanese fans can follow the race live on DAZN; in New Zealand, both races will also be broadcast by Sky Sports.

“Europe's southernmost Northern Classic” will be broadcast live in South Africa on the screens of Supersport and and throughout the Middle East and North Africa, on the OSN channels.

In the Americas, the “Classica degli Sterri” (“Classic of the Gravel Roads”) will be broadcast live on the Fubo.TV and FloSports platforms (in the US and Canada), and on TDN in Mexico and Central America, while the ESPN network will cover Brazil, the rest of South America and the Caribbean with commentary in Portuguese, Spanish and English.

Footage of the race will also be distributed around world through the SNTV (Sports News Television) platform.

with following TV times attached:

• ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1543
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    Lovely race. I think Alaphillipe grew up learning a bit from Tommy for the facial dramatics towards the end. Not so dramatic, but enough to try and bluff a bit!

Oh, yeah, almost forgot - looks like the Wolf Pack is back!
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

rote_laterne

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 230
    Again a great race. Van Aert surprised me, I didn't think he would podium again on dry roads. It's definitely one of my favorite races.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6757
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    Again a great race. Van Aert surprised me, I didn't think he would podium again on dry roads. It's definitely one of my favorite races.

Yeah, I was a bit surprised by WVA too. I thought he had made the most of last year's conditions and would be more of a supporting actor in this dry edition but no. With a couple of lightweights like Fuglsang and Alaphilippe though, he was always going to finish third, which is still a huge achievement.

I enjoyed the race. This year it all felt a bit hasty, perhaps because the broadcast I watched only began with <50km to go. Last year's seemed interminable and all the better for it.

In any case it is a terribly hard finale, not least because there's a sweeping descent that looks a lot like the final sweeping descent and you think it's almost over when in fact there's still that dreadful long drag to come.

There was no chance the leaders would ever be caught by the chasing group on that drag but you had to worry about WVA there, out on his own. Instead he closed the gap on the tarrying duo! A lot of folks don't (yet) know that he is an accomplished TTer (as well as a decent sprinter).
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 08:14 by L'arri »
    Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    At least DQS get next weekend off from winning a classic. :D
    The type of parcour might have changed in Italy, but the song remained the same: dominant strength in depth.
    Eventual 11th place finisher, Yves Lampaert did much of the donkey work, reeling in the riders who had earlier gone up the road.
    After Fuglsang had drawn out Van Aert and the hot favourite Alaphillipe, Zdnek Stybar took over the roll of wheel markman par excellence, within the remaining chasers and still managed to be first of the rest.

• ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar