collapse

Leadbelly

• World Champion
  • Liked: 8706
  • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
Instead they will do the same stage twice now

:dizzy

Colombia can nearly beat that without the added excuse of roadworks.

Stage four is virtually the same as stage three (they've just added on the small HTF to the later stage) and bear in mind both stages are of an "out and back" nature anyway. In addition stage five follows the exact same route for the first 75km.

So they'll be going over the same roads five times in three days....
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7786
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    So they'll be going over the same roads five times in three days....
    There aren't many climbs in Colombia, they have to make the best use of what they have!

:dizzy
    :lol
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Leadbelly

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    http://www.tourdenormandiecycliste.fr/rendez-vous-en-2021/

Normandie cancelled.

Cycling is a popular sport, the Tour de Normandie is a popular festival and must remain so. The whole world is living in an unprecedented situation which, us, volunteer organizers of the Tour de Normandie, makes us powerless.

Faced with the constraints imposed and the financial stakes for a voluntary association like ours, with the threat of even harsher rules which could be imposed on us from the start Monday 23 March but also during the racing week, the Tour de Normandy will not celebrate its 40th edition in 2020. The 40th anniversary was to be a celebration and without the public, there is no question of racing. See you in 2021!

Both upcoming Portuguese races, La Classica Arrabia and Alentejo, also won't be happening.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1766
    I was about to read an interview of 94-year-old Raphaël Geminiani for L'Équipe but needs a subscription to read the full article.
    https://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-route/Article/Raphael-geminiani-le-tour-pourrait-nous-aider-a-guerir/1123432

But he says that the Tour of France could "help us recover". He feels that if it is held this summer, it bring a sphere that would be comparable to 1947 (First post War edition). He would never have imagined this could happen, namely not having the possibility of watching cycling on TV. He's going to miss the Tour of Italy. It seems like he's advocating for a "huis clos" Tour of France but I can't tell for sure.

These last few weeks, learning about the possibility of treating Covid-19 with chloroquine, medication used to treat malaria, reminded me straight of the cases of Geminiani and Fausto Coppi, who both contracted malaria but Gem' survived it and Coppi died from it. What this article claims is that Gem was already treated with chloroquine while Coppi was treated with cortisone. I don't know if it's true. Surely, Gem was rightly diagnosed and got some antipaludean treatments based on quinine while Coppi was wrongly diagnosed but was chloroquine already in use at that time? Or is it anachronism?
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Leadbelly

• World Champion
    https://www.zikloland.com/los-equipos-piden-correr-en-noviembre-y-mas-invitaciones-worldtour/

The WT and Pro teams are presenting a united front on some of the things they want when (if?) the season restarts later in the year.

They want the season to extend into November (so far it's just till the end of October) and they want more spaces for Pro teams in the WT events. The Pro teams are also keen on space being provided in the calendar for the more local 2.1 races.

Now it is the UCI that must study all the measures requested and ... decide.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    Possible new date for the Tour of Flanders would be 19 September. This was the date for the GP Impanis. Tomas Van de Spiegel of Flanders Classics discussed it with the Impanis-Van Petegem association and the latter seems ready to leave the room for the Tour of Flanders. However only the UCI has the power to decide.

https://www.lesoir.be/293266/article/2020-04-08/coronavirus-vers-un-report-du-tour-des-flandres-la-date-du-19-septembre

This means that the smaller business are paying the price for the lockdown though. Besides, it would mean a Tour of Flanders during the Tour of Spain?

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20200414_04922457

Le Dauphiné Libéré reports “exclusively” the Tour starts  in Nice on Saturday, August 29 and the stage race in Paris ends on Sunday, September 20. A Grand Départ at the end of August should give the riders enough time to prepare properly and, for example, ride a one-week stage race like the Critérium du Dauphiné.

Alternatively Marca says the Tour will run from the 2nd-25th August with the Vuelta in September and the Giro in October.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3483
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1824
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20200414_04922457

Alternatively Marca says the Tour will run from the 2nd-25th August with the Vuelta in September and the Giro in October.

I guess we'll see in due course. Fingers crossed.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    It's just insane. How can they not realise that their races cannot happen. The three GT's in a row? Okay that's how it was until 1994 but then what about all those single-day races? The Worlds ? Lombardy? Both are scheduled in those months. How can the Tour of Italy be raced in October when half of the highest mountain passes will be closed?

Single-day races are easier to postpone than GT's. At least the organisers of the Tour of Switzerland have already cancelled their race while it's just a one-week (10 days?) stage race.

Yes my anti-GT stance is getting back. Sorry mates !  :P But I'm just scared about the spring classics.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13869
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    the UCI has now sent out a press release about a potential new calendar

https://www.uci.org/road/news/2020/the-uci-reveals-the-broad-lines-of-the-revised-2020-uci-international-road-calendar

so if everything goes to plan (which is still very much unsure of course), the cycling season could re-start with the Sibiu Tour on July 2nd ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3483
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    It's just insane. How can they not realise that their races cannot happen. The three GT's in a row? Okay that's how it was until 1994 but then what about all those single-day races? The Worlds ? Lombardy? Both are scheduled in those months. How can the Tour of Italy be raced in October when half of the highest mountain passes will be closed?

Single-day races are easier to postpone than GT's. At least the organisers of the Tour of Switzerland have already cancelled their race while it's just a one-week (10 days?) stage race.

Yes my anti-GT stance is getting back. Sorry mates !  :P But I'm just scared about the spring classics.

The most prestigious one-day road races (the Monuments), ie Milano-Sanremo (Italy), the Tour des Flandres (Belgium), Paris-Roubaix (France), Liège-Bastogne-Liège (Belgium) and Il Lombardia (Italy), will all take place this season, at dates still to be defined.

Quite. :D
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    The most prestigious one-day road races (the Monuments), ie Milano-Sanremo (Italy), the Tour des Flandres (Belgium), Paris-Roubaix (France), Liège-Bastogne-Liège (Belgium) and Il Lombardia (Italy), will all take place this season, at dates still to be defined.
    It's the most "we don't really give a sh*t about those one-day races and will gladly sacrifice them all if it means there's a slight chance of holding the GTs" quote I have ever seen.
     :-x
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    The best thing would be the classics in July and August. In the summer holiday ! All the focus would be on them while the GT's will be when people are back to work and kids back to school.  :D
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    https://www.zikloland.com/los-equipos-piden-correr-en-noviembre-y-mas-invitaciones-worldtour/

They want more spaces for Pro teams in the WT events.

https://twitter.com/WielerFlits/status/1250481040549916678

Further to this, the CPA want two extra wildcards for the three GTs. It would certainly alleviate Guillen's headache about which Spanish Pro Team he'd otherwise have to leave out and it might even keep a team or two in existence in these difficult times.

Alpecin/MVDP have already expressed an interest in the Tour and if the Dutch Vuelta stages are binned, that would make the most sense.

Who could we see then at each GT?

Giro: Androni, Bardiani, Vini Zabu + Gazprom and ???

Tour: Total, Arkea, B&B Hotels + Alpecin and Circus

Vuelta: Total, Caja Rural, Fundacion + Burgos and ???

Really don't have a clue who the 5th Giro team would be. Novo Nordisk have had RCS links before, but I don't think the money is in the coffers anymore.

Nippo would be my pick for the Vuelta, but the race organizers would no doubt prefer Arkea/Quintana. I hope the Breton team aren't too greedy though and allow a different team to get a shot at it.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears

It's all based on what the media coverage impact will be. Clearly the TDF is bigger than every other race combined as far as media value is concerned, so that will be the overriding priority for cycling as a whole.

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/new-tour-de-france-dates-a-slap-in-the-face-for-tour-of-britain/

The 2020 Tour of Britain is forging ahead with plans for this year’s race, despite the ongoing lockdown across the UK and a scheduling conflict with the postponed Tour de France, which Hugh Roberts, CEO of promoter SweetSpot, admitted was "a bit of a slap in the face".

"The only surprise was that we weren’t consulted. I don’t even know if the UCI consulted British Cycling."

I can't be the only one who had a bit of a laugh at this.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/new-tour-de-france-dates-a-slap-in-the-face-for-tour-of-britain/

I can't be the only one who had a bit of a laugh at this.
    You're absolutely not the only one. :lol

British exceptionalism meets "our race is the importantestest"? :S
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    You're absolutely not the only one. :lol

British exceptionalism meets "our race is the importantestest"? :S

I have no idea what you mean by British exceptionalism. When you're the best in the world and everyone else is an arse, then exceptionalism isn't even a thing.  :lol

• ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    It's all based on what the media coverage impact will be. Clearly the TDF is bigger than every other race combined as far as media value is concerned, so that will be the overriding priority for cycling as a whole.

I guess it's always the same argument but what we have here is a season that will be condensed to 4 or 5 months (if extended to November). So obviously, there will be overlapping, races will disappear (already the Tour of Switzerland has been cancelled), minor races will have an even more depleted field than they've already had, so how can younger rider get experience if they don't have the opportunity to mix it up against the top guns because all of them will be on the GT's that are raced simultaneously. Have the UCI all considered what the consequences will be? Do they really believe that cycling cannot do without GT's (I mean if only just for one season, all right, they'll come back next year)? I believe that there can only be top races if the "foundations" are rock solid. What about junior and U23 races? I was not talking about the Tour of France, per se. But all GT's and Worlds all in a span of 3 months ! That's unheard of! How realistic can that be? Have they considered what the weather will be up in the mountains at that time of the year?

Seriously, I really thought at least one of the GT's would be dropped (no matter which one). But it's all about media profit as you say. UCI need GT's because of commercial visibility for the sponsors even though it's a terror attack against riders' health.

I rather agree with the CEO of SweetSpot.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    Conflicting reports the past couple of days about extra wildcards for the GTs.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/no-tour-de-france-wildcard-for-mathieu-van-der-poel/

Two trusted sources have told Cyclingnews that team sizes for the three Grand Tours will remain at eight riders, with no extra wild cards awarded to ProTeams

https://cyclingpro.net/spaziociclismo/worldtour/wildcard-si-lavora-per-avere-tre-squadre-in-piu-a-giro-tour-e-vuelta/

It now appears more and more likely that to help Professional teams there will be more invitations to the great WorldTour invitations, among which of course the Tour is the most coveted. this year's idea is to align the big laps with the other races, that is, with a maximum of seven elements per team. Which of course would bring the group down to 154 runners, thus leaving room for three new teams, against the two that had been speculated in the past few weeks
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    https://twitter.com/SibiuTourEN/status/1260140914384744448

some other (strong) teams have asked for participation as well, but nothing official yet. And obviously, quite a lot of restrictions need to be lifted over the coming weeks for it to happen.

Healthwise, personally I'd think it's safer to have races in Summer than in Fall. But no idea if the governments will have the same point of view.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    2020 Worlds -----------> UAE, Oman or Qatar?

https://twitter.com/WielerFlits/status/1260828890051817472

Qatar sometime in November is looking more and more likely. One knock-on effect could be PR moving to the end of September.....

Also ToB is cancelled for this year. The 2020 route will be raced in 2021.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    I guess anybody's gonna clap their hands but me.  :S
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3592
    Healthwise, personally I'd think it's safer to have races in Summer than in Fall.  ....

Why? I don't understand.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    Why? I don't understand.

as I mentioned in the other thread, almost no infections seem to happen outside. So the number of potential spreaders is likely to drop during Summer, while a second wave looks not too unlikely for fall, when it's getting colder again, and people spend more time together in poorly ventilated rooms.

So I guess in Europe the number of infected in July or so is likely to be lower than in October (that's what we get to hear from "our" virologists at least), also meaning that there's a higher risk for people in the race to be affected.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20200528_04974358

No PR or RVV for Sagan?  :S

Giro and Tour instead?
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4145
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    seriously?

this years racing will certainly provide some interesting choices for teams.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Today's Events

Upcoming Events