collapse

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 1628
    • Music To Your Ears
  • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
Re: Ronde van Vlaanderen
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2019, 20:26 »
Whilst Bettiol was obviously strong today, the fact that no one is willing to close down for fear of the others taking advantage really needs to be worked on. Anyone in the top 20 could’ve won today if they’d tried, but as always they look round at each other.

One thing was clear, MVDP is going to be one hell of a rider in the coming years.
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1068
    « Reply #31 on: April 07, 2019, 21:12 »
    Whilst Bettiol was obviously strong today, the fact that no one is willing to close down for fear of the others taking advantage really needs to be worked on. Anyone in the top 20 could’ve won today if they’d tried, but as always they look round at each other.

One thing was clear, MVDP is going to be one hell of a rider in the coming years.

The group chasing was to big to be cohesive really. Had the little group of 4 whose names I cant remember got a bit further away over the last climb they might have been able to work together to bring Bettiol back but once they were caught it gave some advantage to Bettiol.

Quickstep played the finish well with none of their fast finishers in the group by having Jungels doing a bit of a blocking job when Asgren first got clear to take second.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3024
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #32 on: April 07, 2019, 21:49 »
    The group chasing was too big to be cohesive really.

Yup. Too big a group, end of.
    Not that there has been a successful chase down in recent years, that I can remember...

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/greg-van-avermaet-not-job-pull-fast-guys-line-let-win-flanders-413055

“For me it was the case, if I went full, I’d bring a lot of fast guys with me who were not pulling for the whole day. So you are always making the tempo on the climbs for the guys following so it was not my job to take them to the line and let them win Flanders. That was not the answer.”

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 22:02 by Mellow Velo »
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1628
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    « Reply #33 on: April 07, 2019, 22:13 »
    All very well, but what’s the difference between sitting in for a 9th place or going for it and finishing 11th?

Easy to say for me when I haven’t ridden 270km, but it happens time and time again.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3562
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #34 on: April 08, 2019, 02:31 »
    I just realized that the were actually two Americans at the start line today. Both of them DNF.

Kiel Reijnen (USA) Trek-Segafredo

Taylor Phinney (USA) EF Education First

Did Phinney even provide any useful help during the race? I didn't hear his name mentioned once (although I missed the first couple hours or so).

Also, Hincapie placed 4th in the 2002 edition. Is that the highest place for an American?

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 02:52 by Drummer Boy »

M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1630
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #35 on: April 08, 2019, 05:32 »
    I just realized that the were actually two Americans at the start line today. Both of them DNF.

Kiel Reijnen (USA) Trek-Segafredo

Taylor Phinney (USA) EF Education First

Did Phinney even provide any useful help during the race? I didn't hear his name mentioned once (although I missed the first couple hours or so).

Also, Hincapie placed 4th in the 2002 edition. Is that the highest place for an American?

I think Georgie's 4th was the best US placing to date.
    Phinney, post-accident, seems to have lost something. Unfortunate. But good for him to still be in there swinging.

WHAT a wonderful O.M.F.G. race. Just B.E.A.youtiful. I LOVE those gnarly little roads/pave/alleys/whatEVER! Beautiful! Just stunning!
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3316
    « Reply #36 on: April 08, 2019, 06:56 »
    Phinney is a dedicated P-R rider, isn´t he? He may be on a track towards next weekend, or he may be one of the many riders underperforming this spring season due to the virus infections distributed freely in some early races. Some teams didn´t take this seriously, and kept riders racing with symptoms, but that can be the case with individual riders too. (#didata seems to have really really taken a bad beating from this, but it is finally starting to look like they are racing again).
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1630
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #37 on: April 08, 2019, 13:04 »
    . . . #didata seems to have really really taken a bad beating from this, but it is finally starting to look like they are racing again.
    #didata, yeah. Mark's absence has been felt. I'm thinking he may have to retire, unable to return to a competitive condition. Unlike some, I've always liked him, so his trajectory has seemed unfortunate, even a little tragic, afaic. The annual crashes, then the virus. All the while with age moving along, step by step.

Not to intimate that the whole team revolved around Cav, but then . . .
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3316
    « Reply #38 on: April 08, 2019, 20:46 »
    #didata, yeah. Mark's absence has been felt.
    Not to intimate that the whole team revolved around Cav, but then . . .

I was thinking, Mark who? ..oh him, I almost forgot...

In the classics they have 2 riders that are supposed to bring home the bacon and it is Edvald Boasson Hagen and Michael Valgren Hundahl - and you are right, Cavendish is down and may be back only later but the tragedy of this spring is really the two others, because their time to shine is about now and they will be hundreds of training/racing hours behind schedule, because they kept riding with a virus in their body. After Algarve the team was effectively completely broken, it is only now they are able to hold on for more than half a monument. Waiting to see if EBH can make it to the velodrome this weekend, and what shape he'll be in.

In Norway, the discussion of #uae Aleksander Kristoff vs #didata Edvald Boasson Hagen never stops. Kristoff vs Gaviria is nothing in comparison - and in that case, everybody agrees  ;) - however the recurring theme of Kristoff vs Hagen is that "everyone" usually have higher expectations to Edvald because of lots of apparently good reasons: he climbs better, sprints better, looks better, whatever - and then he fades within sight of the finish line. In Hagen's good P-R, 2016, he died at the entrance to the velodrome, and Hayman won. With Kristoff it is the opposite - everyone keeps writing him off, he is too old, too bald, too thick or too thin and he supposedly can't cycle up a hill and  then after 250 and then some kilometers it is like "no, we don't believe it, he's there again, and where is Edvald?" )

Having said all that, and looking forward to next weekend: Kristoff hasn't really raced a really good Paris-Roubaix ever, ie one in which he might have won. I think his best is 10th and 9th from 2015 and 2013  but he has more DNF than top 10 and quite a few somewhere around 50th. He also signals that he doesn't really like the Portes-de-Hainaut region's flat, tiring cobbles section and prefers the short explosive hills in Flanders if he has to ride cobbles.   
    Edvald has a different attitude to the race, and the fantastic 2016 edition to look back on, even if in the end he was so broken he couldn't do a lap on the velodrome in style. He also looked very good in one of the editions he was riding with #sky - until he disappeared into a nearby field on a 90 degree turn... However, it is primarily the attitude: I remember an interview quite a few years back when he was with sky. The reporter asked which race he would like to win, and he said "Paris-Roubaix" without even stopping to think. "Why?" the reporter asked. "Because it is the race that is hardest for me to win."
    Looking to Hayman (he was 38) for an example, EBH (now 31) still has quite a few chances  to win his dream victory, and I don't know if he will ever win it, but if he does, it will be beautiful. I just love the way he tries to overcome his limits and achieve the "impossible" victory here. I don't think this is the year (he lacks too many hours on the bike) but another 5th would easily end up as Dimension Data's big ride of 2019 spring so let's hope he's back in decent form now. In RVV it looked better than anything since Valenciana, and Edvald doesn't need the massive amounts of training that for example Kristoff needs to get in top form, so there is always hope...

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7542
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #39 on: April 10, 2019, 12:19 »
    the recurring theme of Kristoff vs Hagen is that "everyone" usually have higher expectations to Edvald because of lots of apparently good reasons: he climbs better, sprints better, looks better, whatever - and then he fades within sight of the finish line. In Hagen's good P-R, 2016, he died at the entrance to the velodrome, and Hayman won. With Kristoff it is the opposite - everyone keeps writing him off, he is too old, too bald, too thick or too thin and he supposedly can't cycle up a hill and  then after 250 and then some kilometers it is like "no, we don't believe it, he's there again, and where is Edvald?" )
    Ironically, they were both born in 1987. In fact, Kristoff is younger than EBH! :o
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3562
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Recent Posts

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by Leadbelly
    [November 19, 2019, 19:18]

Re: Tokyo 2020 Olympic Road Race & ITT thread by Leadbelly
    [November 18, 2019, 15:37]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by search
    [November 17, 2019, 07:59]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by Drummer Boy
    [November 16, 2019, 00:36]

Re: Men's Kits 2020 by Drummer Boy
    [November 16, 2019, 00:31]

Re: The Academy of Cycling by Leadbelly