collapse

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 2725
  • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
117th Paris-Roubaix, Compiègne › Roubaix (257km)
« on: April 12, 2019, 11:27 »
 Paris - Roubaix 2019, April 14th.

The Hell of the North, A Sunday in Hell, L'enfer du Nord, Paris-Roubaix: a race with many names, but a race like no other; a race known for one thing. For that, I turn to tv and France 3's promo.

There are older races, there are longer races and there are hillier races, but none more legendary. ‘The Hell of the North’ tag comes from the war ravaged countryside which the parcours traversed during the years after The Great War. And the race is, of course, a throwback to those days a century and more ago when horses, carts and boot leather traversed the tracks and cobbles.

The upcoming edition amounts to 257 kilometres with 54.5 kilometres on pavé.  It generally heads in a Northerly direct, which, this year means that the riders will also be faced with a mostly nagging ( and cold) headwind from the North East. However, as can be seen from the map, a few key secteurs pavé will likely have a cross-tailwind.

There are now 29 secteurs of the famous cobbles (kasseien in Flemish, pavé in French, kinderkoppen in Dutch slang); counting down from the 900 metres at Troisville - prior to which there’s a huge positioning battle at warp speed just under 100K in - to the final symbolic 300 metres of neat sets laid outside the Roubaix velodrome, named Espace Crupeland. In total then, there are around 54 kilometres [20% of race distance] over the granite blocks rather than over tarmac or concrete.

The 29 cobbled sectors of Paris–Roubaix:
29: Troisvilles to Inchy (km 97.5 — 0.9 km) **
28: Briastre to Viesly (km 108.5 — 3 km) ****
27: Viesly to Quiévy (km 101.5 — 1.8 km) ***
26: Quiévy to Saint-Python (km 116 - 3.7 km) ****
25: Saint-Python (km 118.5 — 1.5 km) **
24: Vertain to Saint-Martin-sur-Écaillon (km 127.5 — 2.3 km) ***
23: Verchain-Maugré to Quérénaing (km 136.5 — 1.6 km) ***
22: Quérénaing to Maing (km 140.5 — 2.5 km) ***
21: Maing to Monchaux-sur-Ecaillon (km 142.5 — 1.6 km) ***
20: Haveluy to Wallers (km 156.5 — 2.5 km) ****
19: Trouée d'Arenberg (km 164.5 — 2.3 km) *****
18: Wallers to Hélesmes (km 170 - 1.6 km) ***
17: Hornaing to Wandignies (km 179 - 3.7 km) ****
16: Warlaing to Brillon (km 185 - 2.4 km) ***
15: Tilloy to Sars-et-Rosières (km 188.5 — 2.4 km) ****
14: Beuvry to Orchies (km 194 — 1.4 km) ***
13: Orchies (km 199 — 1.7 km) ***
12: Auchy to Bersée (km 206.5 — 2.7 km) ****
11: Mons-en-Pévèle (km 212 - 3 km) *****
10: Mérignies to Avelin (km 215.5 - 0.7 km) **
9: Pont-Thibault to Ennevelin (km 220 - 1.4 km) ***
8: Templeuve — L'Épinette (km 224 - 0.2 km) *
8: Templeuve — Moulin-de-Vertain (km 225 - 0.5 km) **
7: Cysoing to Bourghelles (km 232 - 1.3 km) ***
6: Bourghelles to Wannehain (km 234.5 - 1.1 km) ***
5: Camphin-en-Pévèle (km 239.5 - 1.8 km) ****
4: Carrefour de l'Arbre (km 242.5 - 2.1 km) *****
3: Gruson (km 244 — 1.1 km) **
2: Willems to Hem (km 251 — 1.4 km) ***
1: Roubaix (km 256 — 0.3 km) *

Most wins
1DE VLAEMINCK Roger4-4-1
2BOONEN Tom4-2-1
3MOSER Francesco3-2-2
4VAN LOOY Rik3-2-1
5CANCELLARA Fabian3-2-1
6MERCKX Eddy3-2-0
7MUSEEUW Johan3-1-2
8REBRY Gaston3-0-2
9LAPIZE Octave3-0-0
10DUCLOS-LASSALLE Gilbert2-2-0

Peter Sagan  *sk is the defending champion. A perfect blend of positioning, bike handling, power and tactical nous are essential to win the Hell of the North. But let’s not forget a large slice of luck either. Given the conditions, mechanical issues are unavoidable in Roubaix, the timing of which can be the difference between winning and losing.  Greg Van Avermaet  *be is a master in controlling the above factors. Zdenek Stybar’s  *cz Hell of the North palmares is equally impressive.  Alexander Kristoff  *no has both the strength and endurance to win, but is yet to see these qualities reflected by results. John Degenkolb  *de is a similar type of rider, who has won the event. Of the several young guns in with a chance of victory, Wout van Aert  *be seems the most likely candidate, possessing all the required skill set to do well.
 However, in truth the race is as wide open as it has been for many years. 

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 19:33 by Francois the Postman »
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 12582
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    really looking forward to this! :)

Tom Boones says the winner will come from an early attack by the way. Editions with no clear favorite would always be the most dangerous for this to happen

https://sporza.be/nl/2019/04/10/boonen-in-et-over-asgreen/
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2999
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    Here's a very compelling promo of its own. Nicely done.

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    It looks like another dry Paris-Roubaix.  :(

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/1116329072798457856

It looks like another dry Paris-Roubaix. It hasn’t rained in the race since 2002. Northern France is a wet place – riders from the region often move south in search of better training conditions – but as explored in a previous post here, early April is actually the driest period of the year for the area. Even the forecast for wind earlier this week looks to have faded away.
     :angry

Direct Energie is now Total Direct Energie. As you might know the French energy provider was taken over by the oil major last year and now it’s being rebranded. The team is playing its part in this with Paris-Roubaix as the first race for the new team. The timing of the change has been done to coincide with Paris-Roubaix which says something about the race and the team’s use as a communication and branding matter.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    As there was some talk about the work which was done on the cobbles a while ago, and some "fear" among fans that it would make the race less hard...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/work-begins-to-mortar-joints-of-arenberg-paris-roubaix-cobbles/

...now, after a recon, Oliver Naesen said, "it's still horrible", while van Aert mentioned "they are even worse than in my memory".

https://lessportsplus.dhnet.be/cyclisme/la-trouee-est-toujours-aussi-horrible-qu-avant-5caf94c39978e263338bdbaf

so we should be fine :D
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    So we're going from this...

https://twitter.com/ulif/status/1116463551831531526

To these...

CONSTANT CONTROL

The Bluetooth LE and ANT+ connectivity allows the rider to sync with the dedicated Garmin App. To control the suspension settings but also to view the ride’s statistics.

-----------------------
    S-Works Roubaix – Sagan Collection
    $12,000.00
     :S

And yet, somehow...

• ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2725
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
     No we ain't, we're going from this:

:D ;)

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    They've got their marketing down, I'll give them that.

Some fantastic imagery throughout this.

Too bad they forgot to install shocks on the bottle cage @3:58. :-x

--------------

And for something a bit more Rock & Roll...

-----------------

Even more! (Damn, these things are popping up like wildflowers today.)

-----------------

Short and sweet...

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 19:43 by Drummer Boy »

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7287
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    So we're going from this...

To these...

And yet, somehow...

I saw the Arenberg cobbles on Monday. And that was post-renovation.
    And I say, anything that makes those less bone-crumblingly shaky is but a small mercy to the riders. Even this full-suspension thingy (I don't understand how that should work, and am skeptical) will only make them feel like Flemish cobbles instead of a field that someone dropped boulders on. It won't give you anything resembling a smooth feeling. It will still be brutal, no matter what bike you ride.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3122
    However, in truth the race is as wide open as it has been for many years. 

OK, so Tom Boonen predicts an early breakaway can go in? Is Hayman still around  :shh

More seriously, who are the riders you think can go all the way if they slip into the morning break? (The last time I watched this race in full I think there really wasn't a morning break, was that last year already?)

I guess many of the pro-conti teams are sort of expected to be there, but a rider like #direct #total Terpstra would never be let go up the road anyway, but what happens if there's an old gorilla[1] in the break? Wouldn't that be the kind of guy who could "do a Hayman" ?

His results in this race are quite good, better than #uae Kristoff, and his best year so far -  was last year.  :o
     1. #arkea Arkea - the team name, same root as Arkeikum - the oldest eon of earth. Then it must be an old gorilla!
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    I think it's more the post-Arenberg break he was thinking about (Dillier came 2nd from the early break last year btw), in similar fashion as #garmin Vansummeren won, for example. Greipel could be a potential candidate for such kind of move indeed. Also #quickstep Asgreen & Senechal, #ag2r Vandenbergh, #movistar Sütterlin, #katusha Politt, #vital de Backer, #movistar Roelandts, #total Gaudin, #mitchelton Bauer and so on, I would think.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7287
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    The longest hour: How the monuments’ greater distance sets them apart

The distance is a factor in the Monuments. Especially when you add >50 km of evil pavé.
    A good analysis by VeloNews on why some riders (e.g. EBH) fade away after the fifth hour of racing while others (e.g. Kristoff) only really come into their own by then.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1588
    Here's a very compelling promo of its own. Nicely done.

Is there a women's version of Paris-Roubaix now?

By the way, a Paris-Roubaix preview needs "A Sunday in Hell" ;):
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    Is there a women's version of Paris-Roubaix now?

There isn't yet. It's just Specialized's way of promoting the narrative in the hopes of a creating women's version of the race.

It's interesting that on one hand, there are always people calling the race too dangerous and feel that it presents unnecessary challenges, while on the other hand there are some who are clamoring for the women to be exposed to those same dangers.

I don't really have much of an opinion on the matter either way, but I suppose if enough women want the race, there's no reason to deny them the opportunity.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    A good read.

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/1117012168317313029

Weather: dry but cold at the start. A light headwind for much of the race, 20km/h from the NE which means a 3/4 tailwind for the latter seconds of pavé which should help to split things up.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    first star ratings:

*be Het Nieuwsblad
    :*:*:*:*:* van Avermaet
    :*:*:*:* van Aert, Sagan
    :*:*:* Lampaert, Naesen, van Baarle
    :*:* Vanmarcke, Benoot, Gilbert, Stuyven
    :* Démare, Kristoff, Rowe, Stybar, Degenkolb

*lu le Quotidien:
    :*:*:*:*:* van Avermaet, Sagan, Kristoff
    :*:*:*:* Naesen, Degenkolb, Trentin, Lampaert, van Aert, Stuyven
    :*:*:* Gilbert, Stannard, Rowe, Vanmarcke, Langeveld, Politt, Mohoric, EBH
    :*:* Vandenbergh, Phinney, Démare, Moscon, Küng, Roelandts, Oss, Greipel, van Baarle, Gaudin
    :* Pedersen, Theuns, Petit, Cort

how did T-72 end up writing for Luxembourgian media!? :P
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1536
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    I like inrng's rankings:

*****   –
    ****   Greg Van Avermaet, Wout van Aert
    ***   Alexander Kristoff, Yves Lampaert, Oliver Naesen, Peter Sagan
    **   Štybar, Degenkolb, Langeveld, van Baarle
    *   Vanmarcke, Keukeleire, Rowe, Moscon, Politt, Démare, Oss, Senéchal
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    Wake up!!!!!!  :D

One thing that stood out to me from that INRNG link above was this quote:

Taylor Phinney told Mitch Docker’s podcast he’d made up his mind to retire on the eve of Paris-Roubaix last year only to crack the top-10 and he’s back again for the one day race that suits his 87kg hulk.

I've said it before, but it's quite something that Phinney was able to make the Top 10 on what was practically a whim. Had he not suffered that career-altering injury a few years ago, one can only imagine what he may have achieved. I'm curious to see how he does today. I also wonder how motivated he is to leave an impression on the race. Maybe his chilled-out stoner-bro vibe works to his advantage under such stressful conditions.

If he were to make the final selection, I don't think he has the pop to win in a sprint, and I don't think he's explosive enough to ride others off his wheel before reaching the velodrome. But if he somehow found himself with a gap leading into Roubaix, he certainly has the TT pedigree to make catching him an arduous affair.

Well, that's my daydream for the day. We're all allowed one.  :)
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner

Stating the obvious, as usual.  :D

--------------

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    Wake up!!!!!!  :D

One thing that stood out to me from that INRNG link above was this quote:

I've said it before, but it's quite something that Phinney was able to make the Top 10 on what was practically a whim. Had he not suffered that career-altering injury a few years ago, one can only imagine what he may have achieved. I'm curious to see how he does today. I also wonder how motivated he is to leave an impression on the race. Maybe his chilled-out stoner-bro vibe works to his advantage under such stressful conditions.

If he were to make the final selection, I don't think he has the pop to win in a sprint, and I don't think he's explosive enough to ride others off his wheel before reaching the velodrome. But if he somehow found himself with a gap leading into Roubaix, he certainly has the TT pedigree to make catching him an arduous affair.

Well, that's my daydream for the day. We're all allowed one.  :)

Phinney has had major knee problems throughout the spring though, therefor didn't start in Gent Wevelgem and E3, and basically abandoned every other major race he did. Still, if there's anything to expect from him, it's in Roubaix, but I'd be surprised if it's this time around.
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 571
    My star rankings

Spoiler (hover to show)
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1004
    I think Nils Pollit will win today. Never won much if anything but he does appear to be a rider who is continually improving at the cobbled races.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    My star rankings

Spoiler (hover to show)

So JULIEN TRARIE FTW, then. :win  :P
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    quoted from last year's thread:

for a moment, maybe we can return to what we love the most about Roubaix.

For example, this little story of #delko Evaldas Siskevicius, the broom wagon, and a broken down team car on the trailer. A video of 3 minutes, very worthy to watch :cool

http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/1.3177570

Spoiler (hover to show)

came back to finish 9th today :cool

good race by the way. Will come back for more later on :)
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    I think Nils Pollit will win today. Never won much if anything but he does appear to be a rider who is continually improving at the cobbled races.

So close it is worth a mention :cool
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    Contador duties... the results post!

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11079
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Last section of the race all I could think was hope AG is watching
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1004
    So close it is worth a mention :cool

Aslong as he avoids injury or illness one of the cobbled races is his next year I think.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    Excellent deduction!  :cool

Shame that the top spot wasn't his, for he was the one responsible for initiating the escape, and the one who caused the winning split. I suppose he had to make a move like that, but it was gutsy and well-timed. Phil was good for some solid pulls of his own (obviously), but it must sting to get so, so close to victory.

Next time he'll likely be more of a marked man, so he may have missed his best shot at the element of surprise. But I hope victory finds him soon. He animated an already very exciting race, and deserves a lot of credit for that.
     :)
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Upcoming Events