collapse

search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 12680
  • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Giro 2019: The Big Preview
« on: May 03, 2019, 20:31 »
Giro d'Italia: Big Preview

The coming edition of the Corsa Rosa will be raced almost entirely in Italy, crossing the border only for one stage finish in the Republic of San Marino. Three Individual Time Trials, six low difficulty stages suitable for sprinters, seven of medium difficulty and five high difficulty stages form next year’s course. There will be a total of seven summit finishes, including the Bologna and San Marino Individual Time Trials.[1]

With 3,518.5km of racing packing in 46,500 meters of total elevation, this edition is one of the hardest courses in recent years.

BIG START AND FIRST WEEK

The Emilia-Romagna Region will kick off the 2019 Giro d’Italia. Stage 1 is a short but punchy ITT, with the first 6km flat and the final 2km very steep. After riding through Bologna city centre on wide open roads, the San Luca climb awaits: 2.1km on a 9.7% average inclination with long stretches over 10-12%, peaking at 16% with around 1km to go. Stage 2 also starts in Bologna with a hilly profile. The route runs through the Apennines before descending into Prato and running through the hills surrounding Empoli, ahead of the finish line in Fucecchio. This will be the Bartali Stage, and the day that the Giro will also remember the great journalist Indro Montanelli, celebrating 110 years since his birth.

STAGE 1 (ITT): BOLOGNA > BOLOGNA (SAN LUCA)

STAGE 2: BOLOGNA > FUCECCHIO

Honoring the genius of Leonardo da Vinci in the 500th anniversary of his death (2 May 1519), Stage 3 will start from his birthplace and finish in Orbetello – where we see the first opportunity for the sprinters – and from where Stage 4 will start. From Tuscany, and through the Maremma region, Stage 4’s route will reach Lazio and finish in Frascati – slightly uphill finish, ideal for finisseurs. Stage 5, from Frascati to Terracina, is another great chance for the sprinters before the hilly stages in the Central-Southern Apennines. On Thursday 16 May Stage 6 runs from Cassino (on the site of WWII Operation Diadem, which took place 75 years earlier, 11-19 May 1944, during the liberation) to San Giovanni Rotondo in the Gargano National Park, the resting place of the remains of San Pio from Pietrelcina.

STAGE 3: VINCI > ORBETELLO

STAGE 4: ORBETELLO > FRASCATI

STAGE 5: FRASCATI > TERRACINA

STAGE 6: CASSINO > SAN GIOVANNI ROTONDO

Stage 7 starts on the shore of the Adriatic Sea, in Vasto. Its finish is in L’Aquila, where the Giro will commemorate ten years passing since the terrible earthquake that devastated the city and its surroundings in 2009. On Saturday 18 May the Giro runs from Abruzzo to the Marche where, after the start from Tortoreto Lido, the stage will finish in Pesaro, birthplace of the composer Gioacchino Rossini. At 235km it’s a long stage, with a very challenging finale.

STAGE 7: VASTO > L'AQUILA

STAGE 8: TORTORETO > LIDO PESARO

Stage 9’s ITT from Riccione to San Marino is the only time the Giro d’Italia 2019 crosses national borders. Its very difficult course is in two parts: the first section until the course enters the Republic of San Marino is undulating, from where the second part, all uphill to the finish line. It’s also this year's Corsa Rosa Wine Stage, dedicated to the Sangiovese wine. Monday 20 May is the first rest day of the Giro, in Romagna.

STAGE 9 (ITT): RICCIONE > SAN MARINO (RSM)

SECOND WEEK

The race resumes on Tuesday 21 with an entirely flat stage through the Po Valley: from Ravenna to Modena, through the areas that suffered in the 2012 earthquake. There’s a high probability that Stage 10 will finish with a bunch sprint. Stage 11 will start in Carpi and end in Novi Ligure. The finish line will be close to the home where the Campionissimo, Fausto Coppi, lived with Giulia Occhini (the ‘Dama Bianca’), who tragically lost her life in a car accident just in front of their house, in 1993.

STAGE 10: RAVENNA > MODENA

STAGE 11: CARPI > NOVI LIGURE

Stage 12 runs from Cuneo to Pinerolo, in recognition of the historic feat of the Campionissimo in the 1949 Giro d’Italia when, attacking solo, Coppi finished with an advantage of over 11 minutes on his great rival Gino Bartali. The 2019 course will be different to that of 70 years earlier: it’s a short but punchy stage with a double passage of the Principi di Acaia wall (featuring gradients up to 20%) and the Montoso climb, the first Category 1 KOM faced in this edition.

STAGE 12: CUNEO > PINEROLO

On Stage 13 the climbing keeps on coming with three hard KOMs on the route from Pinerolo to Ceresole Reale (Serrù Lake) in Turin province’s Orco Valley. First it’s the Colle del Lys from the Val Susa side, then the Pian del Lupo (Santa Elisabetta) climb over Cuorgné/Castellamonte and then the final ascent of the Nivolet Pass until the Serrù Lake. The route is on the resurfaced ‘old road’, with gradients peaking at 14-15%.

STAGE 13: PINEROLO > CERESOLE REALE (Lago Serrù)

Saturday 25th presents another 5-star stage, starting from Saint-Vincent and finishing in Courmayeur. Although it’s short – at 131km – Stage 14 features five KOMs and a total elevation of 4,000m, very high compared to the distance. The Verrayes, Verrogne, Truc d’Arbe (Combes) and Colle San Carlo climbs are faced before the summit finish of Courmayeur where, in 1959, Charly Gaul won the stage and wore the Maglia Rosa on his way to victory in that edition of the Giro d’Italia. These are long climbs with high average gradients, raced one after the other with barely a breath in between.

STAGE 14: SAINT-VINCENT > COURMAYEUR (Skyway Monte Bianco)

The following day is the longest stage of the race, 232km from Ivrea to Como. Riders will face the ‘classic’ finale of recent editions of Il Lombardia: Madonna del Ghisallo, Colma di Sormano (without climbing the Muro), Civiglio and San Fermo before the finish line on the shores of Lake Como. Expect those riders to be thankful that Monday 27 May is the second and final rest day of the Corsa Rosa, in Como.

STAGE 15: IVREA > COMO

THIRD AND FINAL WEEK

The final week of racing starts with a bang on Tuesday 28 May, from Lovere to Ponte di Legno: a long, testing Alpine stage of 226km with 5,700m of climbing! The riders will face the Presolana Pass, the Croce di Salven Pass, the Gavia Pass (Cima Coppi, the highest point of this edition) and the Mortirolo Pass (Montagna Pantani) from the hardest side of Mazzo di Valtellina. It’s an incredibly tough stage that could define the Giro d’Italia GC battle.

STAGE 16: LOVERE > PONTE DI LEGNO

Stage 17 will start in Commezzadura, with a slight descent through the Val di Sole, before climbing until the Mendola Pass. After the descent towards Bolzano the route climbs up to the Eisack Valley and, after Bressanone, the Puster Valley. The riders will face the Naz and Terento climbs before the long final ascent towards Anterselva's Biathlon Stadium, which will host the winter sports World Championships in 2020.

STAGE 17: COMMEZZADURA (Val di Sole) > ANTERSELVA/ANTHOLZ

The following day, from Valdaora to Santa Maria di Sala, the 220km stage is practically all flat or descending, going through Cortina d’Ampezzo, Longarone, Alpago, Vittorio Veneto, Conegliano and Noale – up until the likely bunch sprint. Stage 19, from Treviso to San Martino di Castrozza, is short with a summit finish. The first part is hilly but not particularly hard, with the Montello and Passo San Boldo climbs ahead of the final ascent. The summit finish, with gradients that are not excessive, is suitable for rouleurs, and a breakaway may have a chance.

STAGE 18: VALDAORA/OLANG > SANTA MARIA DI SALA

STAGE 19: TREVISO > SAN MARTINO DI CASTROZZA

On Saturday 1 June the last mountains of the 2019 Giro await with a very challenging stage, the final summit finish of this edition. This Dolomites stage with over 5,000m of elevation includes the climbs of Cima Campo, Manghen Pass, Rolle Pass and the final ascent of Croce d’Aune-Monte  Avena.

STAGE 20: FELTRE > CROCE D'AUNE-MONTE AVENA

GRAND FINALE IN VERONA

The last ITT in Verona is 15.6km long, on the famous circuit around Torricelle. The first part of the final stage is on wide straight roads up until the Torricelle climb at 4.5km – on an average 5% gradient, with some steeper sections. There follows a 4km descent towards Piazza Bra and the Verona Arena, where the winner of 2019 Giro d’Italia will be crowned.

STAGE 21 (ITT): VERONA > VERONA

More detailed information about all stages can be found in the official program ~pdf Il Garbaldi
 1. Source of all text: RCS press release (from October, but hopefully still more or less up to date, apart from some minor route changes ;))
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Re: Giro 2019: The Big Preview
    « Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 20:32 »
    #pink Classifica Generale[1]

There are only a couple of days left before the Giro d'Italia Big Start takes place in Bologna. The 102nd edition of the Giro d’Italia will run from 11 May to 2 June, starting and finishing with Individual Time Trials, in Bologna and Verona respectively. In this city, from today until the final stage in a month's time, the Trofeo Senza Fine awaits its winner.

GC contenders to watch out for at the 102nd edition of the Corsa Rosa are:

#bahrain Vincenzo Nibali (Ita, 34, Bahrain - Merida)

The only multiple winner of the Giro d’Italia (2013, 2016) in this year’s race is back after one year of absence following his third place overall in 2017. He’s the only grand slam holder (along with La Vuelta a España 2010 and the 2014 Tour de France) to line up in Bologna, and is the clear crowd favourite. At the age of 34, the Sicilian is still one of the favourites for a Grand Tour victory. His recent third place at the Tour of the Alps indicates that his efficient preparation for the Giro at an altitude training camp in Gran Canarias keeps him among the top contenders against the up and coming climbers of the new generation.

Vincenzo Nibali said: “The approach to the Giro was the ‘classic’ one, starting with altitude training on Mount Teide and the return to the races at the Tour of the Alps and, last Sunday, at the Liège. My condition is growing and everything is going well. The Giro starts immediately with a short time trial; a commitment of certain importance that will already challenge those riders who aim for the GC. The first stages should not be underestimated, because even without any particular difficulty in altitude, the routes are very difficult and challenging. Not to mention that everyone, in the first week of the race, has the strength and the desire to show off and some captain might try a surprise move.”

#sunweb Tom Dumoulin (Ned, 28, Team Sunweb)

The Dutchman is the only other former winner of the Giro d’Italia to start this edition, having snatched the top spot on the exceptional occasion of 2017’s Giro100. Tom Dumoulin is true to his words as he said he fell in love with the Corsa Rosa and the Maglia Rosa when the race started on his home soil in Apeldoorn in 2016 and he has lined up every year since: following his second place to Chris Froome last year, this is his fourth straight participation. No other favourite knows the Giro as well as the “Butterfly from Maastricht”. Aged 28, he has already worn the Maglia Rosa for 17 days, at least one in each Giro he started and only three days less than Nibali. After placing 6th in the UAE Tour and 4th at Tirreno-Adriatico, he’s also conducted an altitude training camp to approach his biggest goal of the year in top shape.

Tom Dumoulin said: “As always I’m looking forward to heading to Italy to get started with the Giro! It’s a great race with a great course this year. We’re expecting a tough battle but now that the preparations are done it will be nice to get things underway in Bologna.”

#jumbo Primoz Roglic (Slo, 29, Team Jumbo - Visma)

Primoz Roglic made a household name for himself across the world of cycling three years ago when he lost the inaugural time trial of the Giro d’Italia to Tom Dumoulin by only one-hundredth of a second in Apeldoorn. Both riding for rival Dutch teams (even though Team Sunweb is registered in Germany, its soul is in the Netherlands), they have three stages against the clock on their agenda to fight for the Maglia Rosa, starting with the cronoscalata (uphill time trial) to the San Luca of Bologna on May 11. The 29-year-old Slovenian is unbeaten in the only two races he competed in this year before the Tour de Romandie: the UAE Tour and Tirreno-Adriatico. He also made the Giro d’Italia his number one objective of the 2019 season.

Primoz Roglic said: “I think that a lot of good guys are starting the Giro. We will go all in with with our goal, which is to win the Pink Jersey. It will be a really tough race. People say the race suits me, but when you are good, everything suits you. When you are good you can race all sort of climbs. I wanted to do the Giro because there are three individuals time trials, which is what I can do best. There's also a lot of mountains, which I also like.”

#mitchelton Simon Yates (GBR, 26, Mitchelton-Scott)

Throughout his journey in the Maglia Rosa during the 2018 Giro d’Italia, Simon Yates transformed into a new rider. His 13 days leading the Corsa Rosa changed him as he fully embraced the historical and cultural dimension of the event. But knowing his inferiority to the likes of Tom Dumoulin and Chris Froome against the clock, he fought for every second up for grabs along the way and ultimately paid for his efforts in the last three mountain stages in the Alps to eventually finish 21st overall. Yet he learned so much from this experience that he capitalized on his kind of mistakes to win his first Grand Tour three and a half months later. Having bagged La Vuelta, he decided to return to the Giro with the feeling of unfinished business.

Simon Yates said: “I’m approaching the Giro the same way I would do any other race. I really like to try to win every race I start so for me it’s just business as usual. My lead up to this year’s Giro is actually very very similar to last year. I’ve raced exactly the same number of days as last year. I hope the condition is the same as last time and we will just race a little more conservatively and we will see how that goes. We start directly with a prologue, so we will know how everyone’s form is there. I would like to race aggressively as I do normally. I don’t have my eye on any particular stages, I think the last week is just very very difficult. and can shape the race. A lot of guys will be conservative until that point and then we will see from there.”

#astana Miguel Angel Lopez (Col, 25, Astana Pro Team)

Like Primoz Roglic, Miguel Angel Lopez has two stage race victories under his belt since the beginning of the season, with the Tour Colombia and Volta Catalunya. They confirm that his status is on the rise after his two Grand Tour podiums last year as he finished third overall in both the Giro d’Italia and La Vuelta. “Superman” is another modern champion who says he loves the Giro and returns, intent on winning it. He didn’t only go back to Colombia for altitude training in his province of Boyacá, but also for the birth of his first child in April. He’s the true leader of the Astana team that is one of the most successful of the 2019 season. Aged 25, he’s also a true favourite for the Giro d’Italia starting in Bologna even though he might hide his very best riding before we reach the big mountains.

Miguel Angel Lopez said: “I am waiting for the start of this Giro d'Italia with great interest and impatience! The result of the last year brought me a huge motivation and now I am really looking forward to coming back to the Giro. Last season’s race became a real show, it was something very beautiful and emotional! I really hope this year it will be the same or even better. At least our team will try to make this edition of the Giro d'Italia unforgettable.”

#ineos Egan Bernal (Col, 22, Team INEOS)

Aged only 22, Egan Bernal is a rookie at the Giro d’Italia after having successfully raced the Tour de France at the service of Geraint Thomas and Chris Froome last year. But he’s familiar with Italian roads as he started his career based in Piedmont with the Androni Giocattoli-Sidermec team that hired him directly following his stint of international mountain bike racing at junior level. Now with the pedigree of a Paris-Nice winner, the Colombian climber is set to lead the rebranded Team INEOS that, despite the name change, carries the weight of being the defending champions on the start line for the first time in Bologna. The prodigy from Zipaquira went back home after his third place at Volta Catalunya to gear up for the three-week race in the land that made him aware of his exceptional ability.

Other contenders

Other contenders for the victory in the General Classification of the Giro d'Italia are: Bob Jungels (Deceuninck - Quick Step), already twice a winner of the Maglia Bianca of best Young Rider in 2016 and 2017, of a stage in the Giro and of the Liege-Bastogne-Liege; Mikel Landa (Movistar Team), who was third in the 2015 Giro and winner of three stages at the Corsa Rosa; Rafał Majka (Bora - Hansgrohe), who has previously finished fifth, sixth and seventh at the Giro d'Italia and is a winner of stages on both the Tour and the Vuelta.
     1. Source of all text: RCS press release
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 20:33 »
    #ciclamino Classifica a punti

The first points classification in the Giro was used in 1958, called Trofeo A. Carli, but only after a eight year break following the first endeavour, it found its permanent place in the Giro d'Italia on from 1966.

That year there was no associated jersey, while for the two subsequent editions a red jersey was awarded to the leader of the classification. From 1969 to 2009, the jersey was mauve, but often referred to as cyclamen. After another brief period of awarding a red sprints jersey, it turned cyclamen again for the 100th edition of the Giro in 2017, and so it will be again this time.

The points scheme remains the same as in recent years. Notwithstanding the fact, that he have seen battles between riders as different as they could be, with both sprinters and pure climbers fighting for the jersey in the past when every stage counted the same, the organizers decided to stick to the approach of the points system they introduced a couple of years ago. This means stages are separated in four different categories instead, with different amounts of points being awarded.

Points awarded at the finish (by stage category)

cat. 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
    a) & b)         50      35      25      18      14      12      10      8      7      6
    c)         25      18      12      8      6      5      4      3      2      1
    d) & e)         15      12      9      7      6      5      4      3      2      1

+ minor points for place 11-15 in category a) and b)

Points awarded at the intermediate sprint (by stage category)

cat. 1st  2nd 3rd  4th 5th  6th 7th 8th
    a) b) c) & d)      12      8      6      5      4      3      2      1

...with the stages being categorized in the following way:
    • categoria a) & b): 3a - 4a - 5a - 10a - 11a - 18a
    • categoria c): 2a - 6a - 7a - 8a - 12a
    • categoria d) & e): 1a - 9a - 13a - 14a - 15a - 16a - 17a - 19a - 20a - 21a
    Since the rule change in 2015 no non-sprinter has ever come in touch of winning the jersey again, and with the 5 possible sprint stages à 50 points on the line almost outscoring the combined score of all 16 remaining finishes, on paper it looks like the rules would favor a sprinter to win the jersey again.

But the big question is: who will survive the second half of the race at all?! This year's Giro is heavily backloaded, with a brutal final nine days and probably no more opportunity for the sprinters to shine any later than stage 11. There's only a handful of really quick guys in the race anyway, and if neither of them makes it to Verona (or not those who take the big points early on at least) we could happen to see a completely open fight for the #ciclamino jersey.

Over the past years also breakaways turned out to play a major part and influence the competition, as the amount of points awarded at the intermediate sprints used to be pretty high. Davide Ballerini for example came 3rd overall last year by scoring points almost solely from breakaways - this year the number of intermediate sprints has been reduced from 2 to 1 per stage though, and with only 12 points being awarded for coming 1st (instead if up to 20), the influence will decrease massively.

Favorites for the Maglia Ciclamino:

On paper the fastest sprinter in the race is Elia Viviani, and having always tried to compete for the jersey, even when the old points system favoring the gc riders was still in use - before finally fulfilling his dream in 2018 - he will be very likely to have an eye on the Ciclamino again, same as Fernando Gaviria and Giacomo Nizzolo, who won the jersey the years before. Whether they'll be able to survive the mountains again is a different question though.

Someone who would certainly have a chance if he did is Pascal Ackermann, but riding his first ever Grand Tour, he probably won't even try. The same could apply for Arnaud Demare, who is likely to also have an eye on keeping fresh for his home race Tour de France later in the year.

Puncheur type of sprinters like Juanjo Lobato, Enrico Battaglin or maybe also Ryan Gibbons & Davide Cimolai should have less problems making it over the mountains, and thereby could become contenders to win the jersey although they are probably unlikely to finish in the Top 3 in the flat sprints early on.

Outsiders could be riders like Diego Ulissi and Simon Yates, who are very capable to finish high up the order on almost all kind of stages.

#blue Classifica scalatori

Not only the jersey for the winner of the points classification has changed it's color in recent years, also the one for the King of the Mountains has - it turned from green to blue in 2012.

Often over the past years it was won by riders not taking part in the fight for pink, like Mikel Landa in 2017, or also Mikel Nieve, Giovanni Visconti or Julián Arredondo - before Chris Froome in 2018 became the first rider since Marco Pantani to win both the general classification as well as the mountain jersey in the same Giro.

Actually, more often than what the pure results indicate it had been a very open fight for the jersey between the opportunists and gc contenders in the past though. One example for that is the 2015 edition, when there was a battle between Visconti, Mikel Landa, Steven Kruijswijk and Beñat Intxausti basically until the final climb of the race, with each of them at times looking like the one to wear blue in Milano in the end.

Back in 2014 the scores of the hardest climb categories were exponentially increased to give them proportionally higher value - and this is still the case now, with points allocated in the following way (after another adjustment this year):

CIMA COPPI GPM 1a Cat. GPM 2a Cat. GPM 3a Cat. GPM 4a Cat.
          50      40      18      9      3
          30      18      8      4      2
          20      12      6      2      1
          14      9      4      1      
          10      6      2            
          6      4      1            
          4      2                  
          2      1                  

(this year's Cima Coppi is the Passo di Gavia on stage 16)

So the allocation of points is very top-heavy. 1st category climbs are of much more importance than the smaller ones, and the big differences between the top finishers gives a massive advantage to those who manage to come 1st on the big climbs - now even more so, as the score for coming 1st was increased from 45 to 50 on the Cima Coppi, 35 to 40 on 1st category climbs, 15 to 18 on 2nd category climbs and 7 to 9 on 3rd category climbs, while all other numbers remaines the same.

But in the end, the winner of the jersey it not only determined by the number of points awarded on the climbs, but also by the fact where those climbs are located during the stages:

Stage Course Pt / Underway Pt / Finish
    #1      Bologna › San Luca (ITT)            
    #2      Bologna › Fucecchio       9+3      
    #3      Vinci › Orbetello      3      
    #4      Orbetello › Frascati       3      
    #5      Frascati › Terracina       3      
    #6      Cassino › San Giovanni Rotondo       18      
    #7      Vasto › L’Aquila       18      
    #8      Tortoreto Lido › Pesaro       9+3+3      
    #9      Riccione › San Marino (ITT)            18
    #10      Ravenna › Modena             
    #11      Carpi › Novi Ligure             
    #12      Cuneo › Pinerolo       40      
    #13      Pinerolo › Ceresole Reale      40+18      40
    #14      Saint Vincent › Courmayeur      18+40+18+40      9
    #15      Ivrea › Como       18+18+9      
    #16      Lovere  ›  Ponte di Legno      50+40      
    #17      Commezzadura › Anterselva      3+9      9
    #18      Valdaora  › Santa Maria di Sala       3      
    #19      Treviso › San Martino di Castrozza       9+3      18
    #20      Feltre › Croce D’Aune-Monte Avena       18+40+18+18      40
    #21      Verona › Verona (ITT)      3      

TOTAL            545      134

So contary to last year's edition with many point heavy mountain top finishes favoring the GC guys, the organizers have gone back to the approach of having the total maximum number of points available during the stages clearly exceeding those at the stage finishes (same as in 2015: 514-99, 2016: 428-127 or 2017: 466-175). This should mean that the big favorites for the overall classification look unlikely to take the mountain jersey.

Consequently, this points scheme offers all opportunities for breakaway riders to win the jersey, especially as the gaps among the GC guys will be still fairly small when the Giro reaches the first couple of real mountain stages, leaving them less freedom to attack early on.

Favorites for the Maglia Azzuro:

It's difficult to name clear favorites to win the Maglia Azzura as it always is determined by the outcome of the general classification as well, with riders casting an eye on the jersey only after losing time early on. The new points allocation should make sure that it is an ever better climber who wins, but who exactly... this year I really don't have a clue.

#white Classifica giovani

The white jersey for the best young rider was first introduced in 1976 and is awarded to the best rider not born before January 1st 1994. In 2018 it was won by Miguel Angel Lopez, becoming the fourth Colombians winner in seven year. Between 2012 and 2014 it were Rigoberto Uran, Carlos Betancur and Nairo Quintana who were victorious, before Fabio Aru brought it back to Italy in 2015 and Bob Jungels took over for Luxembourg in 2016 and 2017. The other winners since it's reintroduction in 2007 were Andy Schleck, Riccardo Riccò, Kevin Seeldraeyers, Richie Porte and Roman Kreuziger.

Favorites for the Maglia Bianca:

Last year it was a close fight between Lopez and Carapaz for third spot on the podium, and thereby also for the jersey, with the Colombian keeping the upper hand by less than a minute. This time he'll probably even need to up his game to challenge Egan Bernal.

All detailed rules for the various classifications can be found in the ~pdf Giro d'Italia Regulations
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 7599
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 19:20 »
    #pink Classifica Generale

#ineos Egan Bernal (Col, 22, Team INEOS)

Aged only 22, Egan Bernal is a rookie at the Giro d’Italia after having successfully raced the Tour de France at the service of Geraint Thomas and Chris Froome last year. But he’s familiar with Italian roads as he started his career based in Piedmont with the Androni Giocattoli-Sidermec team that hired him directly following his stint of international mountain bike racing at junior level. Now with the pedigree of a Paris-Nice winner, the Colombian climber is set to lead the rebranded Team INEOS that, despite the name change, carries the weight of being the defending champions on the start line for the first time in Bologna. The prodigy from Zipaquira went back home after his third place at Volta Catalunya to gear up for the three-week race in the land that made him aware of his exceptional ability.

https://twitter.com/CafeRoubaix/status/1124728489616334848
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 19:30 »
    well, looks like it was only a one-off last year then, and we can expect the same kind of Giro as usual again for Sky.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1601
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    « Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 19:44 »
    Trust you to just write a couple of paragraphs on the first GT of the season search. It’s a big race, you could have gone into a bit of detail.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 19:46 »
    I've had a good teacher for copy & paste stuff. Unfortunately I haven't quite nailed the google translator yet though.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1601
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    « Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 19:52 »
    I've had a good teacher for copy & paste stuff. Unfortunately I haven't quite nailed the google translator yet though.

Lukas?
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2847
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #8 on: May 04, 2019, 20:15 »
     The Giro currently losing it's star riders at the rate of one per day.
    They afford either Roglic, Zakarin, Carapaz or Landa to crash tomorrow.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

search

• World Champion
    « Reply #9 on: May 04, 2019, 20:21 »
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11124
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 16:50 »

keep working at it :lol
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014