collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 11168
  • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Giro d'Italia Stage 2 205 km Sunday 12 May

After Yesterdays GC shake up with a 2 km steep uphill finish on ITT bikes, it will be a shake up, not race over but we will know the form of the GC riders after the opening stage. Which makes today's stage even more interesting, as some rider Roglic, Yates and Disco Tom ( most likely 3 that I can think of in 45 sec ) will be wearing the #pink . So todays stage becomes a perfect stage for the breakaway.

After a fast start of 35 km we start our major climb of the day Montepiano which will be when the breakaway forms, while this climb does not lead to any KOM points it will be an important feature of the stage. After the long descent, the stage flattens until we hit Montespertoni in the heart of Tuscany.

No Strade on this visit but the short sharp climbs will be a test for the breakaway riders and the sprinters

1st classified climb at Montalbano will be important for a rider looking to get a day in the KOM jersey   

The next 50 km will be a series of ascents, descents, left and right which will test all riders, will the break make it, the have a good chance if they have a good lead with 5 km to go due the changes in directs in the last 5 km

here what the website says

STAGE 2
The stage is rolling. The route starts uphill, crosses the Apennines and then takes a long descent to Prato. Next, a succession of sharper or gentler ascents and descents, including the Montalbano (Castra) categorised climb, leads to the final kilometres, raced on undulating and twisting roads.
Final kilometres
The final 4 km start on narrow urban roads, with sharp bends, followed by broad, straight avenues, with a few roundabouts in-between. The home straight (900 m) is on 7 m wide asphalt road.

Expect it to be a fun stage with the breakaway taking the win and #pink

stage 1 results

• ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11168
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    So fast start tomorrow me thinks
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8002
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    Wind and rain forecast.

The wind will be NE-ish. So a tailwind for the first 130km and then it will be very random as they squiggle over the landscape in the final third.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3016
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
     Incredibly cold, too, for Central Italy in mid May. The next few days are forecast around 13C.
    There could well be a few pratos on the deck in Prato, given the slickness of those Italian town roads.
    I'm afraid I'll be watching this one from record. Opted to do the Sunday lunch thing this weekend, in order to free up the rest, except the final ITT, as I will be in completely the wrong end of Italy. :fp :D
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13036
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    It's the home stage for #academy Kristian Sbaragli and during the press conference he was asked about it, and whether the expectations of a 40 or 50 guy sprint would be correct. He said, if it rains, it'll be only half of that.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3537
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3315
    I got to watch the last 35 km but couldn't log on to the chat because I was with my hosts here. Again I missed out on the sound so I probably failed to catch quite a lot of details - can someone explain what happened to #movistar Sütterlin's helmet? He was suddenly sitting in the road with no helmet on..

Also - who was the rider that crashed on the left side (rider's right side) just before the sprint?

Anyways, I am going to attempt a little write-up, the sprint was pretty much as predicted, except maybe we had already forgotten that #bora Ackermann is on a roll with 2 WT victories on a row if we disregard the ITT. The sprinters that start winning stages in the Giro has a tendency to keep winning, so the future looks quite bright #ciclamino for the young German. His rise to the top coincides quite well with his compatriot Kittel's self-imposed step down.

#lotto Caleb Ewan possibly started his sprint a tad early, and despite all physical dissimilarities seems to get the "Kristoff leadout/ 500 meter sprint" role in this giro if he keeps going like that. Third week victory waiting.

Also, a decent run by the man in the extended italian champion jersey #champit #quickstep Elia Viviani, but he lacked a bit of punch today, too hard climbing?  #uae Gaviria failed a bit in the positioning - should have stuck better to Kristoff's Ewan's back but this back is mighty small and it actually faces forwards in the sprint!

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8002
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    You're being more than a little kind to Gaviria there. I thought it was bad legs rather positioning. He didn't even try to come out past Ewan.

Quote from: Gaviria
    “I really didn’t have the feelings I expected after the first climb, which may have been affected by the cold weather. However I tried to hold on. I really would have liked to make the most of the great work my team mates put in. The lead-out for the sprint was perfect, but I did not perform well. It has been some weeks since I last raced, so I probably need to improve my race pace. I am confident I will do it soon”.

Le Gac was the Groupama rider that went down.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3537
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015