collapse

Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
  • Liked: 992
Stage 5 : Frascati to Terracina
« on: May 13, 2019, 22:01 »
STAGE 5 : Frascati to Terracina

The Route

Starting in Frascati the race basically follows a generally south easterly direction before finishing by the coast in Terracina after 140km so this is one of the shorter road stages that there is on the race this year.

The profile

The day starts with 2 climbs in the first 25 kilometres. My ongoing lack of understanding as to how climbs are categorized make me wonder why they aren't climbs for this years mountains classification given that they appear to be harder than the one 4th cat climb that comes later in the stage. after the first 25km the stage is mostly flat or downhill with the exception of previously mentioned 4th cat climb with approximately 50k to go and the short little climb that comes after that.

The Finish.

the stage finishes by the coast at Terracino with the race taking in one lap of a flet 9km finishing circuit. Unlike stage 3 the organisers have decided to put the final chicane 3.5 km from the finish. After that the only thing for the riders have to negotiate is a slight right hand bend before lining up for a finish on a dead straight 1.5 km finish so there should not be any excuses for any of the sprinters on a finish like today.

Who will win?

It should be a sprinter who crosses the line first unless the peloton gives away an unretrievable gap to a break before the finishing circuit is reached.

Perhaps after the demotion of stage 3, Viviani will have all of the motiviation he needs to take his first win at this year Giro.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2684
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    Re: Stage 5 : Frascati to Terracina
    « Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 22:36 »
     According to PCS those climbs are catagorized, but then they don't have them catagorized on their profile.
    They also have  Sezze as a 4th on their stage profile, but 3rd on their climb profile. :S

I'd go with Flamme Rouge if I were you. ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 992
    « Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 22:43 »

But then again the PCS profile of the whole stage doesn't have them categorized. I suspest the profiles produced by Flamme Rouge for PCS of the individual climbs is what they would expect them to be categorized as rather than what the race has categorized them as. The climb to Sezze is a cat 3 in the individual profile but a cat 4 in the stage also.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2841
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 03:02 »
    The profile

It appears that someone got mixed up in the planning room. I think they got this one backwards. Shouldn't the race be going the other direction?
     :D
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7258
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 07:59 »
    According to PCS those climbs are catagorized, but then they don't have them catagorized on their profile.
    They also have  Sezze as a 4th on their stage profile, but 3rd on their climb profile. :S
    RCS' organisational skills have taken a real dive recently, haven't they. :S

The host broadcaster also put the wrong points scale on the graphics after the second intermediate sprint in Grosseto yesterday (which counts only for the I.S. classification, but not for the #ciclamino points classification, because ... Giro).

Not to mention Grosseto's traffic islands and roundabouts that were strewn in the path of the peloton like banana peels in Mario Kart.
    It's amazing nobody crashed there. :fp

EDIT: I looked it up in the race regulations. Sezze is classified as cat. 4; Rocca Priora and Rocca di Papa are unclassified.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 4419
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 20:47 »
    Grande Moschetti, again best of the rest behind the "big names" :) Proud of my boy
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith
    RIP krebs

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2841
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 06:39 »
    Stage 5 Highlights
    (It's not you, the audio is a bit wonky for the first few seconds.)

• ReplyReply

•