collapse

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 8128
  • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
Connect the Dots - Transfer Predictions 2019/20
« on: May 20, 2019, 14:23 »
The 'Transfers and Rumors' thread very much is full of news from other sources. This is a more speculative version of the same thread, asking "who should go where?"

...or as it's been said in previous years' threads, "predict the transfer before the rumour".

We had three or four correct guesses last year, but percentage wise it wasn't so great[1].
 1. Fus had half of Scandinavia signing for Riwal :P
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    Dimension Data could be an option (assuming that they are still WT of course), but I think they should be going all out for Bennett.

Bennett´s supposedly not riding any of the Grand Tours of importance for #bora this year, neither Giro nor the Tour. Taking into account that he´s the man with most WT wins for Bora, yep - more than Sagan, actually: this looks like an unhappy divorce already filed for, but not announced. The mass failure that is #dimension 2019 should really do everything they can to get a reliable delivery-man on board QUICKLY.

Bennett -----------> #didata

Servais even thinks it might happen mid-season.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    https://www.tuttobiciweb.it/article/2019/05/20/1558284358/androni-sidermec-talenti-in-partenza-masnada-cattaneo-vendrame-savio

Gianni Savio has already put the eyes on a young South American talent whose nationality he does not want to reveal

There's always talent in the South American cantera. Could be Gianni has picked up on someone at Tachira this year, but who already has experience of running in Europe....

Aular ------------> #androni ?
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11184
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Dennis leaves Bahrain

UAE with Peiper and Stevens new home
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    Let's pick some low hanging fruit.

Peak -----------> #kometa

At the end of last year I would have said this had very little chance of happening, but he's had an unremarkable 2019 (so far!) and it could be that Deceuninck take a pass on him. Step forward the soon to be PCT team with a Hungarian named sponsor. They've already signed up Dina and with Valter more likely to be on his way to the senior CCC team at some point, that just leaves Peak.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Gilbert- Arkéa Samsic
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    Boswell + Perry + Cataford ---------> #rally

Rally are one of a number of PCT teams who will have to recruit a fair few riders to get to the new minimum squad size of twenty. If Tuft retires and McNulty moves to UAE then you're looking at at least six new faces.

There are some younger riders they could cherry pick from Aevolo or Floyds, but the three I've mentioned are more experienced hands with plenty of Euro racing under the belt.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    Rally are one of a number of PCT teams who will have to recruit a fair few riders to get to the new minimum squad size of twenty.

Speaking of which....

#novonordisk ----------> CT ?

They struggle to get enough race days for sixteen riders never mind twenty. Going Continental seems the sensible option. Hagens Berman are doing it, the Pickles are rumoured to be dropping down and it wouldn't surprise me if other teams like Burgos, W-52 or even Riwal followed suit.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7562
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Speaking of which....

#novonordisk ----------> CT ?
    Not unlikely to happen. I remember having heard about a step down to Conti for them.

it wouldn't surprise me if other teams like Burgos, W-52 or even Riwal followed suit.
    #burgos - they might just sign four more random guys and continue doing what they do
    #porto - why are they PCT in the first place?

#riwal - I hope this doesn't happen, and there have been no murmurs whatsoever about such a step back in the Danish scene as far as I know. On the contrary, with the 2021 Grand Départ, they may be able to secure enough funding and sign good enough riders to line up in the Tour!
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    Dennis leaves Bahrain

UAE with Peiper and Stevens new home

Just saying
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    A (very) junior team would be a more suitable destination, but even they might frown on his temper tantrums and throwing of toys out of the pram.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3316
    A (very) junior team would be a more suitable destination, but even they might frown on his temper tantrums and throwing of toys out of the pram.

That must be a team with lotsa money not used (could be Movistar if Landa, Carapaz and Quintana all leave), not a very latin team, because they tend to frown at insubordination,  (so, not Movistar then), place for a wannabe GC contender from out of state. I don't know about NTT (new sponsor for #didata) but I know Rohan Dennis and BMC bikes is a good combination, so they will splassh the cash for a returning champion:
    #bahrain Dennis --> #didata / NTT 
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    I don't know about NTT (new sponsor for #didata) but I know Rohan Dennis and BMC bikes is a good combination, so they will splassh the cash for a returning champion:
    #bahrain Dennis --> #didata / NTT
    NTT is just the company that owns Dimension Data and merged with its other branches to form one big company. It's not so much a new sponsor as it is a re-naming to reflect the new name of the sponsor.

That said, the "African Team" signing a has-been non-African for (relatively) much money is definitely not out of the question ...
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4020
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    pretty much anywhere but Bahrain sounds like the thing
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    Bahrain could be much weakened next year as a GC team. Nibali off to Trek, Dennis isn't happy and Landa might not sign.

Fuglsang -------------> #bahrain ?

Movistar has been the main rumour about Fuglsang. However they have baulked at his wage demands.

Bahrain might occasionally have cash flow problems, but surely their desperation for a GC rider means they might pay up for the Dane.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    Let's pick some low hanging fruit.

Peak -----------> #kometa

This didn't work out as he's off to #mitchelton.

Kometa will still need some riders though. Some commentators think the Giro wildcard is virtually guaranteed, but while Oldani/Lopez/Dina are good prospects you'll need a few experienced heads on top of that.

Gogl ----------> #kometa ?

Followed Contador from Tinkoff to Trek.

Some of the #nippo riders might be possibilities as well.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    Kometa will still need some riders though. Some commentators think the Giro wildcard is virtually guaranteed, but while Oldani/Lopez/Dina are good prospects you'll need a few experienced heads on top of that.

Gogl ----------> #kometa ?

Followed Contador from Tinkoff to Trek.
    Good call. :cool

Some of the #nippo riders might be possibilities as well.
    Bou and Lobato for a start. Santaromita is an experienced rider, the Colombians Osorio and Acosta are promising ... maybe Canola too.
    Let's not forget that #kometa is almost as Italian as it is Spanish, with Ivan Basso involved in the team as well.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1630
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    NTT is just the company that owns Dimension Data and merged with its other branches to form one big company. It's not so much a new sponsor as it is a re-naming to reflect the new name of the sponsor.

That said, the "African Team" signing a has-been non-African for (relatively) much money is definitely not out of the question ...

Wow - the current world  #rainbow TT champ is a has-been? Well, I suppose, in a way. If I was a DS, he'd be kryptonite for my sensibilities. I wouldn't touch him. But that's me. OTOH, certainly after Vaughters every team and DS must have known what they were getting - and figured they would try and live with it.

I would think Dennis has talked himself right out of any future contract negotiations.
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1630
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    Btw - another small thought. I'm really disappointed in Rohan. He's been such a shining star, to only find out that he's been all glitter, with a spoiled rotten prima donna core, is very disappointing.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    So since Keukeleire isn't returning to Mitchelton and Trentin has left for CCC. Just who exactly do the Australian team have for the Northern Classics? I know who they need and he could fit in quite well with the team.

Spoiler (hover to show)

-------------------------

Over in the world of Twitter. Who's following who?

Recent followers of ICA include Henok Mulubrhan and James Piccoli's dad (?). You heard it here first! :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    Dennis ------------>  #teamau

Would a pro team touch him unless they already rode BMC bikes? T-72 has already predicted a potential move to NTT, but how about his contract with Bahrain is cancelled and he doesn't sign for a new team. Just trains for the Olympic TT and maybe another attempt at the hour record and then retires?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    Just trains for the Olympic TT and maybe another attempt at the hour record and then retires?
    I like the idea.

All that travelling to and fro that pro cyclists do for races must be exhausting - even more so as Rohan Dennis fundamentally doesn't give much of a damn about most of those races.
    Focussing just on *au champs, maybe TDU & HST, then train for Tokyo/Hour Record/ITT Worlds would make a lot of sense, and he doesn't need a trade team for that.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    Stetina following ICA and Carlstrom on Twitter.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4020
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    I like the idea.

All that travelling to and fro that pro cyclists do for races must be exhausting - even more so as Rohan Dennis fundamentally doesn't give much of a damn about most of those races.
    Focussing just on *au champs, maybe TDU & HST, then train for Tokyo/Hour Record/ITT Worlds would make a lot of sense, and he doesn't need a trade team for that.

not much money in that though.

Will BMC sponsor him privately to spruke their bikes ????
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 476
    Thanks AG - love Spruke... new one on me
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Giro 2020 General Discussion by search
    [December 06, 2019, 16:18]

Re: Giro 2020 General Discussion by Joelsim
    [December 06, 2019, 15:37]