collapse

M Gee

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1630
  • The user formerly known as hiero
Stage 21: Verona-->Verona. The race of truth.
« on: May 29, 2019, 20:30 »
Just 17 km. About 10 miles. A real race for truth. They've done the "long way to go" part. Now it is time for "a short time to get there."

People are saying Roglic can pick up over two minutes, but that seems a lot, given how short this is. If Carapaz is in pink - he'll be riding the high. Roglic will need a special kind of internal fortitude and grit. And you know what? Nibali has, on occasion turned in some good TT times. Nibali should be at an advantage, given that this TT is the final day.

• ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3573
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    People are saying Roglic can pick up over two minutes...

Who is saying that? :slow

I thought his projected advantage was somewhere between 1:00 and 1:30?

Regardless, hopefully the time gaps at the start of the stage will be enough to keep both riders and fans nervous until the very end.  ;)
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    Who is saying that? :slow

I thought his projected advantage was somewhere between 1:00 and 1:30?

Regardless, hopefully the time gaps at the start of the stage will be enough to keep both riders and fans nervous until the very end.  ;)
    Shoot, man, I don't know who! LOL If I did, I'd have posted a link. I just recall hearing somebody say that picking up the two minutes was possible. It doesn't strike me as a real expectation, and may not have been said as such. Notice I said "can", not "will" - because that was the way I recall hearing it. Of course, I could also be recollecting wrong! That has happened before!

Some scratch paper calcs - just say Carapaz covered the 17km at 30kph. Roglic would have to do it at close to 33kph. I don't think that kinda difference is gonna happen.

Like you say, we'll see!
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    Looks like more perfect weather for the final day and coronation.

Verona looks like a nice little neighborhood.

• ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4020
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    Verona is beautiful!!!    Looking forward to it

I am happy for Carapaz.  He has ridden exceptionally well and deserves this.  Next time around he wont be gifted a couple of minutes to get away - they will take much more notice :D
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    Verona is beautiful!!!    Looking forward to it

I am happy for Carapaz.  He has ridden exceptionally well and deserves this.  Next time around he wont be gifted a couple of minutes to get away - they will take much more notice :D
    Unlike Roglic - who I like - Carapaz has ridden like a champion - like a contender. Nibali was correct, IMO, to chastise Roglic. Although, Roglic really doesn't have the experience a rider would normally have in his position - so his reluctance to pull through was understandable.
    Roglic will do better next time. As will Carapaz. Hot new talent, both of them.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    :cool

https://twitter.com/robhatchtv/status/1134856506942328832
    :lol OMG - laffing out loud! What a treat! El Presidente declares free TV coverage for the day! Simply marvelous.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13148
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    here is today's ~pdf ITT starting order

The course is the one from the 2004 World Championships...

...which was also used for the final time trial in 2010 (with only the flat part at the start being a bit different, making it 2 km shorter back then):

So it was a pretty tight race, no major gaps, and I'd think we can expect more or less the same today.

Nibali finished in a strong 5th place back then, but only a handful of riders lost 1:54+ on him, so taking #pink from Carapaz is probably out of question. But what about Roglic/Landa though? Roglic did a fairly disappointing time trial at the end of the Tour last year, and he looks way more tired now... there may be a little chance for Mikel to hang on
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    Whew. We made it through!  :D

I must say, the official Giro twitter is pretty spectacular. Good, timely info; cool pics; nice videos.

So I'll just allow them to do the heavy lifting here.

https://twitter.com/giroditalia/status/1135204173824385024

https://twitter.com/giroditalia/status/1135207397130211328
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    I had mistakenly given Armstrong full credit for calling this one correctly. But when I went back and checked, this is what Lance actually had to say one day prior:

I don’t know that this next youngster is maybe up for the win, but a little shout-out to Chad Haga, an American kid on Sunweb—originally from Texas—but he’s been time trialling well. Certainly a Top 10 is possible for him. He’s been strong.
     :cool

https://twitter.com/TeamSunweb/status/1135202237012238336

Here he is, nearly at a loss for words.
    https://twitter.com/giroditalia/status/1135239326785085440

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 19:53 by Drummer Boy »

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13148
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    ITT split times:

some fairly big surprises there, but it's not too unusual to happen at the end of a tough race.

Nibali finished in a strong 5th place back then, Roglic did a fairly disappointing time trial at the end of the Tour last year, and he looks way more tired now... there may be a little chance for Mikel to hang on

Roglic made it by 8 seconds in the end.

On the split times you can see that Landa lost 4s to Formolo on the 2nd part (who I would say is about as bad a time trialist as he is) so maybe there was bit of room for improvement, but the podium was probably not really within reach today. It was good time trial from him, but Roglic's was just not quite bad enough.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    One final installment of this particular series.

Stage 21 | Highlights

A touching and more in-depth look at Chad Haga's preparation for this historic win.
    https://twitter.com/TeamSunweb/status/1135274264473546754

Very nicely done recap/tribute.
    https://twitter.com/giroditalia/status/1135266861157945349
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    In spite of my disappointment over Dumoulin crashing out, I thought it was an excellent race. I loved seeing Nibali looking strong. Movistar played the tactics game perfectly - and didn't let themselves get caught out by other teams. Well done.

BTW - Haga's ITT time - this was close to 10 miles. My fastest time EVER on our old club 10-mile ITT - a much flatter course - was like 28 or 29 minutes. Of course, that was decades ago!
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 21:42 by M Gee »

Recent Posts