collapse

Echoes

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1650
Will Creedence Clearwater Revival reunite?
« on: June 13, 2019, 22:16 »
Okay it's a two month old news but I just discover it now.

https://www.iheart.com/content/2019-04-09-john-fogerty-working-with-surviving-ccr-members-on-new-venture/

John Fogerty Working With Surviving CCR Members On New Venture

By Andrew Magnotta @AndrewMagnotta

April 9, 2019

It's been nearly 50 years since John Fogerty left Creedence Clearwater Revival and only recently did he get back on speaking terms with his former band mates.

For decades, Fogerty didn't even perform music he helped create with the legendary Southern rock band, as he and former CCR bassist Stu Cook and drummer Doug Clifford slagged one another in the press and exchanged lawsuits.

Fogerty famously refused to perform with Cook and Clifford at the band's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction in 1993. A few years later, Cook and Clifford began touring again as Creedence Clearwater Revisited, a band they plan to retire in September after touring with it for nearly five times as long as the original CCR existed.

While there's no indication of a reunion concert in the future, the trio has apparently resolved some of its long-standing gripes and partnered to maintain the band's legacy.

"We're not sniping at each other anymore," Cook told Billboard of his relationship with Fogerty. "We're focused on the good things about Creedence, which is where I think we should be."

Fogerty, Cook and Clifford together are planning a slew of projects to keep CCR alive. Among them, the long-awaited release of the band's Woodstock performance, which was excluded from the 1970 festival documentary and its soundtrack.

Fogerty revealed last year that part of the reason he began performing CCR songs live again was because Bob Dylan warned him years ago that if he didn't, they would be forgotten.

This summer, Fogerty will celebrate CCR's part in Woodstock with a set at Woodstock 50.

------------------------------

I discovered Creedence fifteen years ago thanks to former website Icebergradio.com. I loved it right away. The voice, the guitars, the rhythm and some of the lyrics speak to me. Fifteen years I've been waiting for this. :cool

My favourite of the moment:

• ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Echoes

• Road Captain
    They've just released their full Woodstock set, for the first time !  :cool

https://www.loudersound.com/news/creedence-clearwater-revival-to-release-live-at-woodstock-album

1. Born on the Bayou
    2. Green River
    3. Ninety-Nine and a Half (Won’t Do)
    4. Bootleg
    5. Commotion
    6. Bad Moon Rising
    7. Proud Mary
    8. I Put a Spell on You
    9. The Night Time is the Right Time
    10. Keep on Chooglin’
    11. Suzie Q

• ReplyReply

• al_pacino

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 92
    Introduced to them by my Dad.

One of my Faves

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 7859
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    Hell froze over for the Eagles, but I have great difficulty seeing it happen for CCR as regards playing together (or being in the same room for long periods of time!).

Maybe they have mellowed. It would be a good thing for them, as there was a really, really unhealthy level of bitterness.

• ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    Introduced to them by my Dad.

One of my Faves

Good call! When I first listened to it, I was in awe. So much energy into that song. Besides, it has a meaning. John Fogerty wrote this song when Eisenhower's grandson David was going out with Julie Nixon, then President-elect Nixon's daughter and he realised that all these fortunate people would dodge the Vietnam War because of their wealth. John was a working class man and he was drafted. He never went to Vietnam either because he was in the reserve troops but he could have. Among those who could escape the war was George W. He was in the National Guard. Of course I don't appreciate Fogerty's endorsing Democrat candidate but well his songs are still usually well written.

As the years went by I've started to like their folk ballads more than their heavy rock songs, such as Don't Look Now, Long As I Can See the Light, Wrote a Song for Everyone or Lodi...

Hell froze over for the Eagles, but I have great difficulty seeing it happen for CCR as regards playing together (or being in the same room for long periods of time!).

Maybe they have mellowed. It would be a good thing for them, as there was a really, really unhealthy level of bitterness.

That's right. I think John Fogerty refusing to play with his former band mates when the band was inducted into the Hall of Fame was a pretty classless behaviour of his. His long fight against former manager Saul Zaentz to get his credits back was legit in my opinion though and I can understand his disappointment to see his former band mates siding Zaentz but well he should've forgiven them.

In the nineties he was probably the least willing to reunite the band but then in the noughties I saw interviews of the three surviving former members. Stu Cook was very much willing to. John Fogerty didn't rule it out but said it was something to consider carefully. Only Doug 'Cosmo' Clifford unequivocally refused. So it all depends on him. It seems.

The difference but Creedence and the Eagles is that all Eagles members were songwriters in their own rights while at CCR only John Fogerty could write decent songs. Cosmo's song on their last album were not too bad but the same standard as John's. Stu's were a disaster. Tom Fogerty could write though but he had left the band earlier and sadly is no longer with us, now. By the way, don't forget that the Eagles also changed their line-up multiple times.

Tom Fogerty's best song:

In the early days of Youtube, I really was struck by this clip:

Creedence Clearwater Revival live in Sydney in 1972. Tom had already left the band. So they were some sort of a power trio. First footage of Hey Tonight, then an interview with a clueless Australian journo, Jeune Pritchard (I don't know why the name has remained in my memory ever since I watched the video for the first time in 2007) then footage of Keep on Chooglin. It's impressive to see the energy that John Fogerty is spending on stage. Especially the harmonica part! At 8.45 and 9.15-17. When music becomes sport! When a rocker becomes an athlete !  :o
  • ReplyReply

•