collapse

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 8063
  • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
Tour de France Stage 2 - Bruxelles Palais Royal > Brussel Atomium TTT (27.6km)

You'll be disappointed to know this preview won't be in Google Translated French.

The stage title is a bit of a give-away, but this is where the stage will be starting. It's currently unknown if the ASO have persuaded the Belgian Royal Family to hold the TT bikes on the start ramp. We can but hope.

This is the route the teams will take through the city. A quick look on streetview shows wide boulevards and avenues, but you never know how they will barricade it (hopefully commonsensically).

The profile is rather exaggerated. Those slopes are ~3% I think.

The finish line will be somewhere in the vicinity of this. Cue jokes about chemistry or balls.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    We don't know the teams yet, so no point giving out Leading Lights, but we can look at some of the more recent TTTs to give us an idea of how it might pan out.

A couple from 2018 first......

TDF Stage 3 (35.5km) Top-5 (BMC, Sky, Quick-Step, Mitchelton and Sunweb) all covered by 11 seconds. Bigger gaps after that.

Worlds TTT (62.8km) It was the usual suspects of  Quick-Step, Sunweb and BMC at the top. Don't forget though there was a nasty old climb in the middle of the stage which we obviously won't have in Bruxelles.

......and now into 2019.

Colombia 2.1 Stage 1 (14km) EF won just ahead of Deceunick and INEOS. Bear in mind the time of season and team composition.

UAE Stage 1 (16km) Jumbo beat a strong Sunweb team. Bahrain in third.

Tirreno-Adriatico Stage 1 (21.5km) Mitchelton were 12th in UAE, but with a much better suited squad in Italy they did a whole lot better. Jumbo and Sunweb were again on the podium.

Coppi e Bartali Stage 1b (13.3km) Mitchelton won again, but not a lot to be learnt from this.

Hammer Stavanager TTT (48.9km) CCC and INEOS were close and then larger gaps, but the nature of the competition means times weren't the be and end all.

Hammer Limburg TTT (49.6km) Mitchelton repeated their trick from UAE-TA. 1m46 down on CCC in Norway, but a short while later beat the Polish team by 16s to take the win here.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3559
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    I had never even heard of the Atomium until search's Stage One preview.  :P

Should make for some entertaining camera work though.

Interesting looking route. I hope no significant gaps are formed in the GC though. Having a TTT at such an early stage is risky because it can affect the composition of the race without offering a true test between individuals.

I'll save my annual rant against TT bikes, and how I desperately wish the teams were required to use road bikes instead...

Actually, it's too late. I've already started!
    I just don't see the point of forcing riders onto machines that they train so little on. If TTT bikes are faster than road bikes, then what is the point if everyone is using them? It's not good for the sport when the inevitable mishaps cause the top riders in the world to look like rank amateurs. Veering off turns, crashing with no obstacles in sight, taking down their own teammates—most of the more visible and circus-like disasters wouldn't be occurring with road bikes.

Let them shine, let them be at their best...let them stay upright!  :D

I'd like to see less of this...

and more of this.

Is it too much to ask for?
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    A quick look on streetview shows wide boulevards and avenues, but you never know how they will barricade it (hopefully commonsensically).

I naturally can't find it now, but I did see a YouTube video which showed the last few km and it does get a bit more complicated in that section. A few sharp corners and a narrow one-lane route through the park around the Atomium.

Should make for some entertaining camera work though.

Speaking of cameras. Will we miss out on heli shots of the end of stage 1 and start of stage 2 due to flight restrictions in the area? I'm sure I read about it.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7532
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    I had never even heard of the Atomium until search's Stage One preview.  :P
    :o

I'll save my annual rant against TT bikes, and how I desperately wish the teams were required to use road bikes instead...
    Fully agree with the rant.

Speaking of cameras. Will we miss out on heli shots of the end of stage 1 and start of stage 2 due to flight restrictions in the area? I'm sure I read about it.
    Hm. If this were any other race, I'd say yes. But with the Tour, they're not unlikely to make an exception even from that rule.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    Let's assume we don't have a crash-fest on stage 1......

:onfire1 :onfire1 :onfire1

#jumbo

First and second in the two WT TTTs this year. Lots of big engines in the team. Groenewegen likely to be dropped, so we could see Teunissen in yellow or maybe even Van Aert.

:onfire1 :onfire1

#mitchelton
    #bahrain
    #ineos
    #sunweb

Mitchelton usually get it right on the night. No Dumoulin of course for Sunweb, but they still have a very strong squad for this event.

:onfire1

#bora
    #astana
    #deceuninck
    #ef
    #ccc

Deceuninck are the reigning World TTT champs, but they are a bit weaker now. Of that winning team, only two will be riding. EF riders in general have been putting in some vastly improved ITTs, but we haven't seen that in the team versions yet.

:dizzy

#arkea
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    Teunissen in yellow one stage earlier than I thought.

No bonus seconds at the intermediate today (what's that all about) means he enjoys a four second lead over his nearest realistic challenger Sagan/Bora. Everybody else is at ten seconds, which isn't much, but as we saw in last year's TTT, the gaps can be very small and those seconds could be crucial.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    Weather for Bruxelles tomorrow:

Going by that (avg wind speed increasing slightly though the day) it may very fractionally favour earlier starters (Ineos are off first), but I don't see it really effecting the outcome much.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    Start order and times:

14:30:00 TEAM INEOS
    14:35:00 TEAM ARKEA – SAMSIC
    14:40:00 ASTANA PRO TEAM
    14:45:00 GROUPAMA – FDJ
    14:50:00 AG2R LA MONDIALE
    14:55:00 MOVISTAR TEAM
    15:00:00 TOTAL DIRECT ENERGIE
    15:05:00 CCC TEAM
    15:10:00 UAE TEAM EMIRATES
    15:15:00 TREK – SEGAFREDO
    15:20:00 TEAM KATUSHA ALPECIN
    15:25:00 COFIDIS, SOLUTIONS CREDITS
    15:30:00 TEAM DIMENSION DATA
    15:35:00 TEAM SUNWEB
    15:40:00 BORA – HANSGROHE
    15:45:00 LOTTO SOUDAL
    15:50:00 MITCHELTON – SCOTT
    15:55:00 BAHRAIN – MERIDA
    16:00:00 EF EDUCATION FIRST
    16:05:00 DECEUNINCK – QUICK – STEP
    16:10:00 WANTY – GOBERT CYCLING TEAM
    16:15:00 TEAM JUMBO – VISMA
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7532
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    No bonus seconds at the intermediate today (what's that all about)
    My guess is that you can give out time bonifications only at one kind of intermediate sprints - either the regular ones (like most other races do), or the top of selected climbs (like the Tour does this year - but not at both.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    Groenewegen likely to be dropped, so we could see Teunissen in yellow or maybe even Van Aert.

Teunissen in yellow one stage earlier than I thought.

I'll say!  :cool

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner

Ain't no stopping the Jumbo train.

Big performances from Katusha, Groupama and Cofidis. Mitchelton probably the most disappointed in terms of what they might have expected beforehand.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1627
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    How on earth have Jumbo improved so much at TTs so quickly?
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner

Tony Martin, Van Aert and De Plus might have something to do with it.

Not that the team were a complete bunch of no-hopers before that, but the chump to champ ratio is now definitely in favour of the latter. Compare it to last year when they had to rely on time-trialling luminaries such as Tolhoek and Gesink in the Tour TTT.
  • ReplyReply

• PeteFromLeeds

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 23
    Great to see Teunissen continue his stint in yellow, Jumbo smashed it out the park today.
  • ReplyReply
  • edwin in the swimming pool

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner

Haven't you heard?

The Yellow Jersey gives you wings.

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    This is one improvement to the coverage of the sport that I'm really enjoying.  :cool

Tour de France 2019
    Velon - STAGE TWO HIGHLIGHTS - Velon
    https://twitter.com/VelonCC/status/1147912083738103812

https://twitter.com/VelonCC/status/1147950913329475586

https://twitter.com/VelonCC/status/1147915839368249344

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    https://twitter.com/friebos/status/1147924811479470080

Daniel Friebe
    ‏@friebos

Asked Jumbo-Visma boffin Mathieu Heijboer when they started working towards today, thinking he’d say January or something similar.

Him: "2015"

#jumbo :win #jumbo :win #jumbo :win #jumbo
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    Speaking of...

I have to say, Johan Bruyneel's predictions ahead of Stage Two were uncannily accurate.  :shh

There are five minutes or so that are really worth listening to here, starting @ 22:35.

https://soundcloud.com/user-411867241/2019-tour-de-france-johan-and-jb-show

FWIW, his pick for the overall?

Spoiler (hover to show)
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Full Mens Rosters 2020 by Leadbelly
    [Today at 05:33]

Re: Retirement announcements by LukasCPH
    [November 13, 2019, 16:53]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by Leadbelly
    [November 13, 2019, 14:36]