collapse

M Gee

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1637
  • The user formerly known as hiero
Re: TdF 2019 General Discussion
« on: July 09, 2019, 23:20 »
. . .Armstrong as a commentary sort of adds to the everybody dopes and that's ok impression.  . . . Gaimon is entertaining to read/listen to and he also knows a lot about cycling, so we would approve- but he isn't the kind of celebrity  . . .
I know I don't hear Armstrong and think doping is somehow ok. I don't think others do, either. And, I think it's pretty obvious to young and impressionable youth that Lance got considerably more than a hand-slap. I'm not hanging out in junior cycling circles these days, but I would be surprised if any of them were thinking to themselves: "He got away with it, so why not me?"

As for new commentators, how about Matt Stephens? Now there is a guy who is really and honestly a good, knowledgeable, AND entertaining commentator. Gaiman is another man I'm something of a fan of, but I don't think he's a great commentator, and I usually don't get his humor. Stephens, tho - they could let him have the whole gig AFAIC. He could manage.
  . . .

They can't have it both ways.
Oh, I'd say yes, they can!  :D

Lance is still an egotistic a-hole, and he shows it often enough. But I don't have to live with it, and I do think his insight is deeper than we are getting from the official commentators. Ditto Bruyneel, except he wasn't the king ego a-hole that Lance was/is.

BTW, I doubt the Live Chat group will see much of me this year. I'll mostly be watching via rerun. We have more live options than ever here this year, but I'm not on any of them - money, and stubborness I guess. And I've got other stuff going on that needs taking care of. Besides, I've gotten used to ES coverage, and going back to Phil is a downer. Bob, unfortunately doesn't help much. ES are kind enough to give us rotating commentators now, so we get a break from Kirby. Works for me.

BTW, as long as the topic is somewhere near talking about new podcasts, Bobby Julich and Gus Morton have another new one worth a listen or two over on VeloNews. I've been massively disappointed in most of the other podcasts - CN has one - I forget who - but big names in cycling media - and they are a massive bore.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 01:14 by M Gee »
    . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

Recent Posts

Re: Roadbooks by polenta
    [October 16, 2021, 09:26]

Re: 2021 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by LukasCPH
    [October 14, 2021, 21:05]

Re: Roadbooks by search
    [October 14, 2021, 13:16]

Re: 2021 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by Leadbelly
    [October 11, 2021, 18:12]

Re: 2021 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by search
    [October 11, 2021, 08:16]

Re: 2021 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by Drummer Boy