collapse

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3552
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015
Re: TdF 2019 General Discussion
« on: July 10, 2019, 13:35 »
Gaimon is entertaining to read/listen to and he also knows a lot about cycling...

Gaimon is just too weird though. His "humor" wouldn't translate (in any language), and I don't think he'd be able to hold anyone's attention for very long.

I'm still curious about the forces that put Armstrong on screen though. I wonder if one or two of the financial people in his inner circle are close with some VP at NBC Sports. I wouldn't be surprised if ratings are down on the Tour coverage and someone suggested gently reintroducing Lance to the viewership in an attempt to improve that.

It's a double-edged sword, of course. Lot's a people will be turned off by Lance's image, and the casual observer who might just be channel surfing will wonder why a "cheater and doper" is on their TV.

Armstrong does have some interesting perspectives to offer at times, but not in a way that works on a corporate broadcasting platform. It's the raw, unfiltered nature of podcasts that brings out the interesting stuff. For the same reasons that you'll never see a Joe Rogan-like discussion on network television, you'll never hear what these ex-pros really think about the UCI, different teams and riders, or the general state of things when their are big sponsors behind the scenes.

In adding Armstrong's voice, what they really do is bring out the worst of both worlds.
His presence will irritate some, and you'll never unwrap the types of insight that make his commentary actually interesting.
So in the end, it doesn't really reflect well on NBC or Armstrong.
It's a lose-lose.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts