• Liked: 3868
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015
Re: TdF 2019 General Discussion
« on: July 18, 2019, 06:30 »
What

the actual

F***?!

:S

I missed this segment live, but they are (still) trying too hard with this. Way too hard.

The fake background behind Lance, and overall low-production quality, reminds me very much the of the infamous UCI_Overlord "parody" videos from days gone by.

Blend that with the second-rate, five-second audio delay, and it makes for very awkward viewing.

Again though, what is the point of these?
To rehabilitate Armstrong's image?
To promote his podcast?
Increase NBC viewership?

The podcast itself (especially Hincapie's contributions) offers some genuinely insightful commentary. But these random one-off features with Lance do nothing of the sort. Softball questions and stock answers do little for either Armstrong or NBC. So I just don't get it. Every time he appears on screen they burn a few more bridges. There will always be the cheerleaders, but I just don't see how this does anything to grow their audience.

Phill and Bob come off pretty poorly here, too. It's the worst of all worlds, but they keep running these. Each side under performs, as if they were unexpectedly just plucked off the street and given cue cards to read.

Social media tends to eviscerate NBC for this, so what is the long game here?

There's enough back-slapping going around to make me very suspicious of all of it.
NBC strokes Lance, while Armstrong, Hincapie and Johan have gone out of their way to compliment the NBC broadcast team repeatedly on their own platforms. It's all a bit too convenient for me. Something is afoot. I feel like I've seen this movie before.

As I've said previously though, and I'll proudly say it again: Johan Bruyneel's audio podcast, with his daily breakdowns and predictions, is the best commentary on pro cycling I've ever come across. It's informative, engaging, entertaining and thoroughly enjoyable. But I don't know what to make of the above strategy.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Tour 2020 General Discussion by t-72
    [July 05, 2020, 21:32]

Manuela Foundation the saviour of all things cycling by just some guy
    [July 02, 2020, 19:35]

Re: Tour 2020 General Discussion by AG
    [July 02, 2020, 11:24]

Re: Tour 2020 General Discussion by AG
    [July 02, 2020, 11:22]

Re: Tour 2020 General Discussion by Joelsim