collapse

AG

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 4181
  • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
Re: TdF 2019 General Discussion
« on: July 29, 2019, 15:28 »
I thoroughly enjoyed the vast majority of the race.

I am very disapointed that the final 2 stage fizzled out ... but totally understand that there wasnt actually much the race could do about it.  That kind of thing cant be forecast, or prepared for.  They cant have a plan B for a mountain stage once they are actually half way up the climb, so its not solvable.

Winners

Bernal - I did think he was the strongest left in the race, so feel he was a deserving winner.  I am super happy that he decided to go early on the climb, and got the gap before the stage was cancelled.  I would feel MUCH more anger and frustration at the situation had he not gone solo on that climb.  We would have had a situation where the yellow jersey would have gone to the next best on GC (as Alaphilippe was dropped) - and Geraint Thomas won effectively by default.    Its not that I dont like Thomas - I actually really like him.  I just think that would have been an unfortunate way to win.    In the end though, Bernal attacked ... got away cleanly and I was confident he would have stayed away.

Ineos - 1-2 in the Tour is nothing to be sneezed at - especially when your best and most accomplished rider is sitting in a hospital bed and looking at months of recovery (if ever).  I thought they played the race well.  They didnt do what was expected and control things all day every day ... they let other teams do it.  And it worked for them.  (and it was much better to watch !!!!!  :cool )

Thomas - (seperate to the others) - his graciousness and overall manner is always great.

Alaphilippe - what a Tour for him.  Breakthrough.  Quicketep did well - they played the cards they had pretty well indeed and made the most of the oportunity.

Bora Hansgrohe - Buchman punched way above his weight here, and with Ackerman developing nicely too they are much more than a 1-trick pony these days.

Jumbo Visma - Kruijswijk showed himself as a genuine contender here.  He stepped up that next level and proved that the Giro (disaster notwithstanding) was not a one-off.  That he can be good enough.    And they supported him.  Well.     I do think they made a mistake not bringing Roglic to the Tour though.  Kruijswijk probably could have won the Giro, and Roglic definitely could have won the Tour.  Add Tom D to that mix ....       Not only that they had stage wins with 4 different riders, and a few days in yellow.  All in all a super successful tour for them

Trek Segafredo - after a rough few seasons, Ciccone is a shining light for them.  Animating things, trying something different and generally giving them some return on investment.  Much more so than Porte who once again failed ...  Sometimes riders are just unlucky, but you have to look at what he is doing wrong.  Bike handling?  positioning?  general race nous?    He just seems missing that top bit every time and something happens to keep him out.

Lotto Soudall - 4 stage wins, and the enormous man that is Thomas DeGendt ... they had a great Tour.

Wanty Group Gobert - I have them as a win because I thought they did well at animating the race.  They were in almost every break, and tried to do something to earn their invitation.  Certainly for me they did enough to be invited back.  Unlike a few others.

Meh
Bardet - while he won polka dots, he should rightly be incredibly disappointed with his Tour.  He is capable of so much more

Sagan - same as Drummer Boy - he won but without his usual panache and style

Michelton Scott - 4 stage wins is actually their most successful Tour, but it still is in the loss column for me given they structured everything - and gave up Caleb Ewen - for a GC result.

Losers
Movistar - 3 riders capable of winning and the best they get is 1 stage win.  Not good enough.

FDJ - Pinot  :( 

CCC - were they even in the race?

Education First - Uran didnt live up to expectations.  They started the move in the crosswinds... and then missed the split.  All up a pretty disappointing Tour.

• ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Roadbooks by polenta
    [November 24, 2021, 10:55]