collapse

search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 12806
  • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Stage 1: Bruxelles – Charleroi – Brussel
« on: June 27, 2019, 08:57 »
Stage 1: Bruxelles – Charleroi – Brussel

July 6th

The 2019 Grand Départ takes place in Brussel, and celebrates both the 50th anniversary of Eddy Mercky first overall victory, as well as the 100th birthday of the #yellow Yellow Jersey.

Tour de France organisers Amaury Sports Organisation and yellow jersey manufacturers Le Coq Sportif will create 20 individual yellow jerseys for this year's race to celebrate the centenary of the leader's jersey. Each day will see the race leader wear a uniquely designed jersey to mark significant climbs, buildings and individuals from the race's past.

Also Eddy Mercky will be featured of course...

...but only the day after. We'll start with the Atomium instead :P. And a stage, that would be very nice to have the other way around

This way, the Kappelmuur and the Bosberg will hardly have an influence on the result... but well, it's stage 1 of the Tour, so it's better than nothing, and the finish is an interesting one as well, with the final ~500m going uphill at ~5%

Also generelly, there's a lot of up and down all day, left and right, partly on narrow roads. So it'll probably be a very nervous stage, which not necessarily will end up in a big bunch sprint - but most definitely with one or two GC contenders ending up on the tarmac.

Well, but the finish is situated next to the Castle of Laeken at least, home of the King of the Belgians.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3264
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    Also generelly, there's a lot of up and down all day, left and right, partly on narrow roads.

That doesn't bode well for anyone not named Sagan. It could be a crazy day with dreams shattered and hopes dashed.

(Or it could it could provide the fans with a wonderfully unpredictable rearrangement of GC contenders.)
      :shh
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4001
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    we might well see Van Aert in yellow on his first day of his first Tour
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7399
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    we might well see Van Aert in yellow on his first day of his first Tour
    He's racing for #jumbo, so he'll be in yellow regardless. :P
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 12806
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    they may have to go black again, I guess?! :P
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    they may have to go black again, I guess?! :P
    Yes, probably they do.

They could also choose to go pink (inspired by ONCE), or use one of Visma's corporate colours (if Visma has corporate colours - their website is blue and white, but the logo is always purple and black?).
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2920
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    The stage is going to be full on from the gun. KoM jersey up for grabs after 50kms and I know of at least one team that has targeted it. I’m melting in Mallorca btw. :D
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

PeteFromLeeds

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 21
    Well that was a somewhat unexpected finish! The ending was a bit of a mess but congrats to Teunissen, I do love it when a complete outsider wins (even if the team sprinter had fallen off)
  • ReplyReply
  • edwin in the swimming pool

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 7738
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20190706_04498167

Medical bulletin:

Jakob Fuglsang (Astana): cuts in the face, cuts on the right elbow, grazes on the right knee

Dylan Groenewegen (Jumbo-Visma): various abrasions on the legs

Koen de Kort (Trek-Segafredo): various grazes

Damiano Caruso (Bahrain-Merida): cuts on the buttock and various abrasions

Matej Mohoric (Bahrain-Merida): various grazes

Emanuel Buchmann (Bora-Hansgrohe): various scrapes

Lukasz Wisniowski (CCC): various cuts and scrapes

Benoit Cosnefroy (AG2R-La Mondiale): cuts and scrapes on the chin, left elbow and left shoulder
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    Well that was a somewhat unexpected finish!

It was thaaat close.

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    I had to watch this one a few times to fully digest it all.

https://twitter.com/RenaudB31/status/1147606446525296640

Nibz using quick reflexes and superior bike-handling skills to avoid disaster right in front of him.

In the background, Fuglsang gets swept, and hits the deck HARD.   :o

Jakob didn't really stand a chance there.  :(

And this...

https://twitter.com/VelonCC/status/1147549106971250688
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    Tour de France 2019
    Velon - STAGE ONE HIGHLIGHTS - Velon
    https://twitter.com/VelonCC/status/1147564005617209344

A brief, on-bike recap here...

with celebrations.  :)

https://twitter.com/VelonCC/status/1147576081718886402

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 04:21 by Drummer Boy »

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    Just a few observations, some of which were already expressed in the live chat.

What's with the narrowing of the road? It clearly seemed that the barriers were moved in at the point of the first crash. There was room for them to be wider, so why was the gap narrowed?

And Geraint's crash seemed even more egregious. It was almost as if two barriers had formed a pointy obstacle right were he went down.

|
    |
    |
    |
    > (crash)
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |(police appeared to be standing right here, on the rider's side of the barrier,  as well)

[You're welcome for the high-tech graphics!  That's my "augmented reality" contributions to Velorooms.  :D]

The sprint was pretty messy. Lot's of jostling about, and I wondered if someone might be penalized for it. But it seems they were just boys being boys.

Caleb Ewan nearly had a gap wide enough to punch through, and it looked like he just might pull it off. But the door closed on him and he lost his forward momentum—but still finished third! His effort may have been under-appreciated by some. I was somewhat pulling for him to win his first stage of his first Tour, but Mike Teunissen's surprise victory was an emotional win for everyone. Extra props to the Jumbo-Visma man for seizing a moment that probably hadn't even occurred to him until he was upon it. What an amazing way to snatch a team victory from the jaws of defeat only moments earlier.
     :cool

Also, just because...  :P

• ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2920
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game

What's with the narrowing of the road? It clearly seemed that the barriers were moved in at the point of the first crash. There was room for them to be wider, so why was the gap narrowed?

And Geraint's crash seemed even more egregious. It was almost as if two barriers had formed a pointy obstacle right were he went down.

|
    |
    |
    |
    > (crash)
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |(police appeared to be standing right here, on the rider's side of the barrier,  as well)

He actually mentions the barriers in his post stage interview.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/48895237
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1649
    I can safely say that Wout Van Aert started yesterday with a yellow jersey and that Mike Teunissen started out with the same yellow jersey and ended up with another one. :p

I was there. Holy Moses, I’ve been to the Tour of France several times but it never was so crowded. In Liège 2012 for instance. Then again it’s a smaller city. Also what a mess is the organisation. For about a year if not more they are telling us on high horses that the start was on the « Grand Place », just because it’s the most famous square in Brussels. My aunt did tell me a few days ago that she hardly believed it. This « Grand Place » is not that big. There is not enough room to put the start sheet podium plus the start line and all the festive podiums around. Actually the start was on the « Place royale » !!!! And to get there, you had to go up (yes Brussels is not panflat). Besides, because of all the crowd which was moving so slowly in the morning sun, I got sunburnt !!!

Anyway, I could get nice pictures from the start !

Greg Van Avermaet who got a huge salute from the crowd !

Oliver Naesen :

Here it’s definitely Julian Alaphilippe raising the hand and Elia Viviani signing ?

Thibault Pinot with the helmet on, so really Madiot stopped commanding his troops to wear it off before the start !!

Tiesj Benoot however was helmet-free :cool

This has to be Romain Bardet

A starting picture too :

Then I got to the finish in Laeken. Oh by the way, the great idea found by the city of Brussels is to give free trips with the local public transports for the event. So all those like me who subscribed to the service are hooked. Also, at the finish all the area around the line is hacked by VIP zones, so we could only got some 350 m from finish. Needless to say this is not gonna reconcile me with the Tour of France. :D  At least I got a polka dot jersey and cap (both too small for me). So I didn’t go there for nothing.

By the way, was it noticeable on the telly that the finish was an uphill false flat because I can tell you doing the final k on foot was pretty exhaustive.

Anyway, this must be Bauke Mollema, mustn’t it ?

Here Nickias Arndt, am I right ?

By the way, between start & finish I’ve enriched my stamp collection with this :

Pretty proud of, I must say !

• ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Echoes

• Road Captain
    Also, just because...  :P

The pine tree on the left is still there. :cool

By the way I heard at the finish the announcer saying that the last Dutch rider to be the leader in the Tour of France was Erik Breukink 30 years ago. I don't know if that was also said in the news but it's a pretty big gap. I couldn't realise that.

Post Merge: July 07, 2019, 08:20
    Also I could hardly believe that Mike Teunissen could outsprint all these guys even on a slightly uphill finish. Remembering him from his cyclocross years, he did have a sprint but not enough to win bunch sprints. Amazing!
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1042

|
    |
    |
    |
    > (crash)
    |
    |
    |
    |

[You're welcome for the high-tech graphics!  That's my "augmented reality" contributions to Velorooms.  :D]

They pointed out in the ITV highlights show that a policeman near the crash tried to shove a barrier back to create more room but I'm guessing because of the way the barriers are linked together this made one of them actually stick out more into the road and that is the one that Thomas ended up hitting.

Teunissen a very surprise winner. Already having his best season since turning professional and topping it by taking a yellow jersey. Should also remember in what appears to be the year of the cyclocrosser on the road he is a former U23 world champ in that discipline.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    He actually mentions the barriers in his post stage interview.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/48895237

Interesting.

@:20 That's the first glimpse I've had of the rider's names being on the sides of the Ineos jersey. The positioning of such seems that it should make them the most easily identifiable to the moto cams for the TTT.

I know we touched on this recently, but doesn't the UCI have rules about name placement on team kits?
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    Needless to say this is not gonna reconcile me with the Tour of France. :D

I'm shocked that you even attended!  :o  :P  :cool

--------------------------------

By the way I heard at the finish the announcer saying that the last Dutch rider to be the leader in the Tour of France was Erik Breukink 30 years ago. I don't know if that was also said in the news but it's a pretty big gap. I couldn't realise that.

They definitely made mention of that in the broadcasts, and I was equally amazed by that stat.

A great day for the locals!  :)
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    Should also remember in what appears to be the year of the cyclocrosser on the road [Teunissen] is a former U23 world champ in that discipline.

From the race chat:
    Drummer Boy: More cyclocross dominance on the road.
    July 06, 2019, 10:54
    :cool
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    Nibz using quick reflexes and superior bike-handling skills to avoid disaster right in front of him.
    The #bahrain rider was Tratnik, though, not Nibali. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1606
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    . . .
    Then I got to the finish in Laeken.  . . .
    Home of the Laekenois? Too cool. That would be my 2nd stop, should I ever get there - to see a breeder or a farm where they had some working Laekenois.
    The #bahrain rider was Tratnik, though, not Nibali. ;)
    Are you sure? The twittersphere seems to think it was Nibali. Regardless, some awesome bike handling, and not so good from Fuglsang.
    https://twitter.com/RenaudB31/status/1147606446525296640
    https://twitter.com/SSbike/status/1147618822817374208
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    Are you sure? The twittersphere seems to think it was Nibali. Regardless, some awesome bike handling, and not so good from Fuglsang.
    Other parts of the Twittersphere say it was Tratnik. ;)

https://twitter.com/2wheelchick/status/1147872704491638785
    https://twitter.com/HarryChemay/status/1147841809495646209
    https://twitter.com/InsidePeloton96/status/1147836333358026752
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2867
    • Awards: 2019 Spring Classics Prediction Champ2018 Tour de France CQ game winner
    "I can imagine it feels similar to hitting a 360 no scope on MW2 Rust "

I understand each word individually, but the sentence means nothing at all to me.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    Other parts of the Twittersphere say it was Tratnik. ;)

The NBC crew were still referring to it as Nibali this morning. Thanks for the clarification!  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    I'm shocked that you even attended!  :o  :P  :cool

Attending is not like watching TV. It can be entertaining. Since it was in my own city and friends and relatives were there, it was hard not to.

By the way, yesterday the TTT passed about 15 minutes (on foot) from where I live and I didn't even know. Unfortunately I had to go to work. So all I could see was the caravan and I could get some Haribo sweets (which I gave to a colleague because I don't eat that grime). I couldn't see any rider.
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 460

... and I could get some Haribo sweets (which I gave to a colleague because I don't eat that grime).

but Echoes surely those are the very sweets of champions... the modern day ambrosia of the gods - no?

• ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    but Echoes surely those are the very sweets of champions... the modern day ambrosia of the gods - no?

. . .
    Egad! A troll!  Martha! There's a troll in there!!

:lol ;) :lol
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    "I can imagine it feels similar to hitting a 360 no scope on MW2 Rust "

I understand each word individually, but the sentence means nothing at all to me.
    Hmmm, not saying I know anything for sure, but if MW2 Rust = Modern Warfare 2: Rust, then hitting a 360 might be wiping out the opponents all around - with no scope in your armament - and no game recording on. That would make sense, no?
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2867
    • Awards: 2019 Spring Classics Prediction Champ2018 Tour de France CQ game winner
    Hmmm, not saying I know anything for sure, but if MW2 Rust = Modern Warfare 2: Rust, then hitting a 360 might be wiping out the opponents all around - with no scope in your armament - and no game recording on. That would make sense, no?

Am I to assume that Modern Warfare refers to some computer based entertainment for young people?
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: [2.HC] Tour of Utah by Drummer Boy
    [Today at 03:06]

Re: RIP/ memorial announcements by Echoes
    [August 18, 2019, 22:36]

Re: Arctic Race of Norway by Leadbelly
    [August 18, 2019, 21:54]

Re: Arctic Race of Norway by t-72
    [August 18, 2019, 21:03]

Re: [2.HC] Tour of Utah by Leadbelly