collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 11134
  • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Stage 4 Reims > Nancy - 213,5 km - Flat
« on: July 08, 2019, 08:23 »
213.5 km First of the truly flat stages, long sweeping bends after the last round about, perfect stage for Marck Cavendish. There will be sprint trains aplenty, like pistols at dawn loaded and ready.

17 times the tour has finished at Nancy

History

Like every local in a Tour stage, Christophe Mengin had vowed to shine on his native ground in the 2005 edition. Involved in the break of the day, the Francaise des Jeux rider had been cunning enough to part company with his companions right on time to reach the finale in Nancy on his own. The pouring rain broke his dreams as he crashed into the barriers in the last kilometre as he was only a few yards away from a prestigious victory. Italy’s Lorenzo Bernucci could hardly believe his luck, who took the day’s laurels much to the public’s disappointment. Knocked out on the tarmac, the unfortunate Mengin said when he discovered the damage: “I look more like a boxer than a cyclist!”

Nancy was the finish point of four crucial time trials in the history of the Tour. In 1949, Fausto Coppi outclassed everybody including Gino Bartali, whom he left 11 minutes adrift over 137 km, before repeating the feat in 1952. In 1954 and 1978, Louison Bobet and Bernard Hinault also strengthened their yellow jerseys in 72-km timed efforts.

In 2014, Matteto Trentin won the stage that already took the peloton from Epernay to Nancy, ahead of Peter Sagan and Tony Gallopin. The 2018 European champion, twice winner of Pairs-Tours, won a total of seven stages on the three Grand Tours.

int sprint

Finish slightly down hill will be a fast finish

Best finsh run in I could make

results from yesterday´s stage

JSG favorites for stage 4 

:* :* :* :* :* - Elia Viviani

:* :* :* :* - Dylan Groenewegen , Caleb Ewan

:* :* :* Peter Sagan ( will surf his way to a good result ) Sonny Colbrelli

:* :* Matteo Trentin, Giacomo Nizzolo, André Greipel

Wild card Wout van Aert well because it is Wout and Groenewegen may not be 100% 
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 12834
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Re: Stage 4 Reims > Nancy - 213,5 km - Flat
    « Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 07:09 »
    The last time they did this "from Cote de Maron down to Nancy" finish was in 2005, as far as I can see. Back then around 1/3 of the field was dropped, but mainly guys that didn't bother, and the weather was bad.

Bernucci then benefitted from the big crash in the end, to take the only win of his career.

"This rider - whoever he is - is about to win the stage" :D :D

Should be a fairly big bunch sprint this time, I think.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3286
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 17:25 »
    https://twitter.com/VelonCC/status/1148622499053264897

https://twitter.com/LeTour/status/1148617168013221891

https://twitter.com/Eurosport_UK/status/1148617903589208064

Even after watching it a few times, it still looks like Sagan was ahead of Ewan for the 3rd/4th position. But apparently not. :slow
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3276
    « Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 17:27 »
    I think I will just take a bow for our stage pre-view writer who called today's win  :cool.

I will also take a bow for #uae Jasper Phillipsen, whos seems to have solved the leadout problem for his team. That was brilliant work, especially taking into account he's a neo-pro and the youngest rider in the tour de france this year. Last year he was winning Gylne Gutuer in the #unox development weekend race series and I wrote

By the way, it was a great race watching, much better than the vuelta stage and Jasper Philipsen should graduate to WT ( #quickstep or #lotto?)  someday soon...great classics riding with smooth tactics where the norwegians and danes were shooting each other down for 50 km , Philpsen just waited for the decisive moves and followed.
    From Gylne Gutuer to the Tour de France, it's a big step. With Pogacar and Phillipsen, #uae seems to have the future lined up!

Otherwise, we saw
    • #quickstep Viviani is faster than #uae Kristoff in a high speed sprint after a rather easy stage
    • Nobody (including JSG) expected Kristoff to compete for stage and yet there he is again.
    • Nobody does not include #bora #green Sagan. Once again he knew Kristoff would be up there and once again he jumped from Kristoff's wheel right towards the finish line (Bergen worlds flashback).  He didn't make it this time.
    • #jumbo Groenewegen doesn't look like he is in top shape. Post crash problems?
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 17:30 »
      • #jumbo Groenewegen doesn't look like he is in top shape. Post crash problems?

That's my guess, but as I asked in the chat: Was there ever a definitive accounting of his injury/recovery from the team?
    • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
      « Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 18:24 »
       :( Luckily no serious damage done. Never saw it comin'...

https://twitter.com/VelonCC/status/1148641737008734208
    • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
      « Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 18:58 »
      That's my guess, but as I asked in the chat: Was there ever a definitive accounting of his injury/recovery from the team?

Haven't seen anything, but if he's just a little beaten up it could mean he's not good enough to win a Tour sprint stage.  The competition is that strong.

However, looking again at the video clips you have posted it seems like the infamous #jumbo bee-train disintegrated at some point, cause in the first frames we see Groenewegen sprinting on the right side of the road while Teunissen is spriniting on the left side of the road. Meanwhile,  "Obelix" Amund Grøndal Jansen is in the middle of the road a bike length or three behind Teunissen and Groenewegen, falling back after having done his job.

I think we are looking at a leadout fail and not the sprinters error?  Does anyone know if/where the overhead sprint camera videos can be found?

(Obelix could have thaught Teunissen never to go for the inside turn in the sprint if he wants to win - he was blocked behind #lotto Ewan as Jansen himself blocked #unox Leknessund - first man in get to choose the shorter line. )
    • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
      « Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 21:31 »
      Ok, I can't find the overhead view video, but I have read in a Norwegian-language analysis that #jumbo Groenewegen probably overheated a little bit today and left his sprint train with a long way to go, trying to surf wheels on his own. Then, in a separate mishap, Wout van Aert is pulling hard he creates a "wave" of cyclists coming up that drowns Groenewegen. Teunissen seems to discover too late Groenewegen is gone and that he was on his own.

Sounds like a classic overheating, poor decision making and by consequence: disorganization failure!
    • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
      • Liked: 12834
      • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
      « Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 23:01 »
      Ok, I can't find the overhead view video, but I have read in a Norwegian-language analysis that #jumbo Groenewegen probably overheated a little bit today and left his sprint train with a long way to go, trying to surf wheels on his own.

the pace on the climb was pretty high and he just barely made it over there in the first group. So I guess going a bit too deep would be the most logical explanation for his result today (and in consequence, also for Kristoff's good one, as he likes the stages to be ridden a bit harder).

And Jumbo had yellow for a couple of days, so a lot of work to do, one lead out man who probably barely got any sleep (Teunissen) and another one, who has never ridden a single race together with the sprinter before (van Aert)
    • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
      • Liked: 1606
      • The user formerly known as hiero
      « Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 03:11 »
      . . . .#jumbo Groenewegen doesn't look like he is in top shape. Post crash problems?

Ok, I can't find the overhead view video, but I have read in a Norwegian-language analysis that #jumbo Groenewegen probably overheated a little bit today and left his sprint train with a long way to go, trying to surf wheels on his own. Then, in a separate mishap, Wout van Aert is pulling hard he creates a "wave" of cyclists coming up that drowns Groenewegen. Teunissen seems to discover too late Groenewegen is gone and that he was on his own.

Sounds like a classic overheating, poor decision making and by consequence: disorganization failure!

Hmmmmm, could be! But at the finish, Groenewegen and Teunissen looked like they were each sprinting for the finish, separately. Hmmmm, again. Could be harder to put the genie back in the bottle?? :lol
    • ReplyReply
    • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

Recent Posts