collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 11186
  • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Got nothing to do with the stage, except it would be cool if he was riding, but I think this ad is the best TDF ad

So what have we on the Menu today? Lots of KOM points that is for sure, a short stage 175.5 km and I expect a break away win as the GC favorites open up the legs a little and Jumbo says to the peloton we have had a fantastic tour and now time for someone else to take over.

But first lets take our minds back to one of the great days in Tour history.

On July 17, 2009,

results from yesterdays stage

JSG favorites

:* :* :* :* :* - Greg Van Avermaet

:* :* :* :* - Michael Matthews, Tim Wellens, Rein Taaramäe, Edvald Boasson Hagen, Warren Barguil
:* :* :* - Omar Fraile
:* :* - Xandro Meurisse

• ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3025
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
     Today's route runs along Alsace's Route du Vin and takes in some of the most stunningly pretty villages, particularly either side of the Côte des Trois-Épis.

First up is probably the prettiest of them all: Riquewihr, home to many of the best and well known of Alsace's wine producers.

Right at the foot of the climb, there are the two villages of Ammerschwihr and Kayersberg, the latter being famous as the birthplace of Albert Schweitzer.

At the foot of the other side of the climb, we find Turkheim. It's cooperative's wines are the easiest to find and are sold all over the world.

• ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13157
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    a closer look at today's finish, via @raffilpt:

it's really quite a challenging one, but I fear with tomorrow's hard MTF on the schedule, there's also the chance that we could see the peloton taking it very easy, and just rolling in 10 minutes after the break...
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11186
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    He is a class act o  the bike. But was a bit it would have been better if anyone else won. Just for the green battle
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 476
    new rule required... only glasses worn on road to be worn on podium...   :P

these looked even bigger than the Roubaix win set...

• ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3025
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
     Quite a debate on Avondetappe last night about sprinter safety. Initiated, I think, by Michael Matthews saying post stage that some of them were better suited to a boxing ring than a bike race.
    Personally, I didn't think it looked any worse than an average sprint; safer than the standard most first week Tour sprints, even.
    Then again, I wasn't in the middle of it. :D
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3316
    #sunweb Sunweb made a tactical mistake imho (more below) - but Matthews is also clearly frustrated as he has lost some of his explosivity - the part which could have won him this stage,  maybe?

The reason for his lost explosivity is that he has prioritized training for the role of flat/early mountain domestique in Tom Dumoulin's train. It is a lot like Edvald Boasson Hagen when he was at Sky. Following massive success at stages in 2011, in 2012 and 2013 when he was progressivey bent in to the shape that the Skytrain needed him to fill in - loss of explosivity as a consequence, and no longer able to win in the same way as he used to do.

Yesterday, with #sunweb towing at the front in the last climb, but all the sprinters that can handle a hill or two still present, I think it can be argued that Sunweb did not climb hard enough for Matthews to succeed. A harder, longer effort is necessary to drop Sagan, while Trentin probably cannot be dropped (rider most similar to Matthews imho). However, in saving something for the sprint, they made it possible for the other sprinters to hang on. Worth noticing that #didata EBH didn't loose much time after his technical and caught up with the bunch practically all by himself on the descent.

I think for #sunweb to win this stage, they should have climbed so hard that Matthews was on his utmost limit on the top of the climb, and then kept pushing all the way to the finish line. There would still be the other Matteo #champeu , #bahrain Colbrelli and a few others to take care of, but Bling would have had a better chance of handling those than #green #bora Sagan and #white #jumbo Van Aert.

Diagnosis: lack of willingnes to deploy the necessary force because of fear of consequences on the next stage?

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7563
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    #sunweb Sunweb made a tactical mistake imho (more below) - but Matthews is also clearly frustrated as he has lost some of his explosivity - the part which could have won him this stage,  maybe?
    Very astute analysis above. :cool

I think that Sunweb think they're stronger than they actually are. They thought that when they drilled it on the climb, that would destroy all other sprinters. Guess what, this is the Tour. Everybody is at peak form, not just your guys.

Also, who tells a proven winner to intentionally weaken the ability that enables him to win in order to become just another start-of-the-mountains donkey? At WT level, just about any rider can do that. Maybe not as well as a re-trained EBH or Matthews - but that comes at the cost of a proven winner who's broken his wind.
    Cycling is about winning - not about marshalling that one guy through three weeks in the hope that, finally this year, he may be able to challenge for the overall win at the end of it.
    Even more so when your GC prospect is out of the GT with injury.

To conclude, Sunweb fliped up this year, big time.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean