collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 11134
  • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Saint-Flour > Albi Stage 10 - 217,5 km
« on: July 12, 2019, 13:40 »
Day before rest day tradition will be that the Peloton decides that today is also a rolling rest day, and the stage becomes the perfect breakaway stage.

Saint-Flour > Albi Stage 10 - 217,5 km

SAINT-FLOUR AND CYCLING

Of the three stages of the Tour to finish in Saint-Flour, it was undoubtedly the one clinched by Richard Virenque on Bastille Day in 2004 which made a lasting impression. Gone with Axel Merckx, the Frenchman finally went to Paris with Andreas Kloden and seized the polka dot jersey he was to take to Paris for the seventh time. It was his seventh and last stage victory on the Tour. Seven years later, in 2011, Spaniard Luis Leon Sanchez took the stage honors ahead of Thomas Voeckler, who took back the yellow jersey in 2004.

ALBI

In 2013, while Albi had just been elected by the team "Most Sporting City of France" of the year 2012, it was Peter Sagan who had prevailed in the prefecture of Tarn at the end of a long stage part of Montpellier. It was Slovakia's fourth stage victory and allowed him to widen the gap in his race to win the green jersey.

Albi is the hometown of Lilian Calmejane, solo winner of Les Rousses in the Tour 2017 and one of the most admirable forwards of the current peloton. It is also the cradle of an amateur of the Little Queen, Toulouse-Lautrec, who painted many advertising posters for the firms of cycles.

Some very big names in cycling won in Albi, starting with the biggest of all, Eddy Merckx, who had taken a time trial in 1971. In 2007, it was Cadel Evans who triumphed too in a lonely effort. Another winner of the Tour, Roger Pingeon took a step from Font-Romeu in 1968.

so who wins, no idea tbh should be a breakaway TDG and Wellen should be there, maybe EBH and Cummings might mix it up as well, Expect Pauwels and someone from CCC to have a go, 4 Wanty plus some random French riders.

results from yesterdays stage

• ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2920
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    Re: Saint-Flour > Albi Stage 10 - 217,5 km
    « Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 15:18 »
     That is Albi's "Red" Cathederal in the OP. At least when the Sun begins to set upon it.

St Flour is a nice place too: both of them, as it has both a bas and a haut part.

• ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1606
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 15:52 »
    So, Alaphillipe and DQS chose not to pursue another attack - and Bardet made a show of doing so - to no avail. I would say Alaphillipe had something of a rolling rest day, if he played it right. Ditto today, and a real rest day manana. Wednesday is flat, so Alaphillipe can choose to stay protected in the peloton again. Thursday we get real montagne. Friday, the ITT.

The Peyresourde. A famous climb. The Hourquette d'Ancizan - never heard of it, but that doesn't mean anything. The question will be how will Alaphillipe do? And who will attack amongst the GC favs? Personally, I think we'll see all the GC favs have a go on Thursday.

I've heard a couple of people say, in coverage, that Ineos doesn't seem as dominant in this Tour. Me, I think that's, at the least, because they haven't needed to be. No benefit from it. Although, Pinot makes a good counter-argument.

Could be we see Ineos or Movistar drill it from the start on Thursday. Its about the proper time to do that now.
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3276
    « Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 16:33 »
    ... I would say Alaphillipe had something of a rolling rest day, if he played it right. Ditto today ...

...I've heard a couple of people say, in coverage, that Ineos doesn't seem as dominant in this Tour. Me, I think that's, at the least, because they haven't needed to be. No benefit from it. Although, Pinot makes a good counter-argument.

you called it wrong this time!

X-WINDS!

So it became something completely different and possibly as decisive as stage 2 in 2015. Quickstep, Ineos, Bora, Movistar, Jumbo in the front group and the other pre-race favorites loosing beaucoup time: #astana Jakob Fuglsang, #fdj Thibaut Pinot, #ef Rigoberto Uran etc...

Decisive attack started by #yellow Alaphilippe himself!

• ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 16:47 »
    you called it wrong this time!

X-WINDS!

So it became something completely different and possibly as decisive as stage 2 in 2015. Quickstep, Ineos, Bora, Movistar, Jumbo in the front group and the other pre-race favorites loosing beaucoup time: #astana Jakob Fuglsang, #fdj Thibaut Pinot, #ef Rigoberto Uran etc...

Decisive attack started by #yellow Alaphilippe himself!

. . .

For REAL! Too cool!  :lol :lol :lol
    You are absolutely right, and I was wrongo, for sure. Did not count on those crosswinds! An opportunity! By all the crystal balls, it looks like Thomas or Bernal in Paris, but if Alaphillipe was attacking today?

Interesting.

We will soon see how he fares through the weekend. The final  #yellow in Paris could be evident this weekend. I will say this: I think Alaphillipe has a better shot at keeping #yellow than Tommy Voelckler had in 2004. I still remember that. That was a magnificent tour, imho. Tommy had this huge lead, but it kept getting chipped away, slowly, ever so slowly. Tommy was utterly valiant and desperate - a tragic hero.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 17:34 »
    if Alaphillipe was attacking today?

I guess crosswinds is more of a team thing, but it was Alaphilippe that initiated the decisive attack. Alaphilippe is both french and the more flamboyant personality and also extremely visible in his #yellow but I don't think he has GC ambitions for real: what he did today was very beneficial for the also very ambitious #quickstep teammate: Enric Más. Before the race, he said his ambitions were "GC podium" (and that's the humble option, it is reasonably open that he really will try to win the whole thing, even if no-one else believes he can do that). So how can he be serious about that?

Starting with the #yellow as a your domestique, how about blowing the field to pieces on a flat stage and putting 1 minute and 40 seconds in the timebank relative to #ef Uran, #fdj Pinot, #astana Fuglsang, #trek Richie Porte? That is a very good start for such an ambitious plan. He'll have to deal with #ineos later but he really couldn't hope for more at the first rest day.

Hats off to #quickstep Quickstep for making the race!

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 7772
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 18:24 »
    https://twitter.com/RenaudB31/status/1150811017145962503

https://twitter.com/SpencerSoward/status/1150808111126593536

It's not like Bennett was a realistic GC contender (top-ten max), but it was really silly timing to send him for bottles at that point in the race - search had warned us that it was ~40km to go that the wind direction might be favourable to splits.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7409
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 18:37 »
    It's not like Bennett was a realistic GC contender (top-ten max), but it was really silly timing to send him for bottles at that point in the race - search had warned us that it was ~40km to go that the wind direction might be favourable to splits.
    Someone slept during (or while preparing) the morning briefing. :fp
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 12835
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 19:15 »
     I've watched every pedal stroke live (well, bar the odd  :x_x :D) until today with 50kms to go......:fp

There's a lesson to be learned there: pay attention at all times. Pinot, I'm looking at you and also the guy who was too busy celebrating getting past stage 9........
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 20:55 by Mellow Velo »

M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 20:14 »
    I guess crosswinds is more of a team thing, but it was Alaphilippe that initiated the decisive attack. Alaphilippe is both french and the more flamboyant personality and also extremely visible in his #yellow but I don't think he has GC ambitions for real: what he did today was very beneficial for the also very ambitious #quickstep teammate: Enric Más. Before the race, he said his ambitions were "GC podium" (and that's the humble option, it is reasonably open that he really will try to win the whole thing, even if no-one else believes he can do that). So how can he be serious about that?

Starting with the #yellow as a your domestique, how about blowing the field to pieces on a flat stage and putting 1 minute and 40 seconds in the timebank relative to #ef Uran, #fdj Pinot, #astana Fuglsang, #trek Richie Porte? That is a very good start for such an ambitious plan. He'll have to deal with #ineos later but he really couldn't hope for more at the first rest day.

Enric Mas. Interesting. He's supposed to be a climber! And he's ahead of Yates, Quintana, Martin, and Ciccone in the top 10, at the moment. We'll soon see!
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1042
    « Reply #11 on: July 15, 2019, 21:54 »

Mas is definitely one of the people still left in a position to challenge for the win. At last years Vuelta he finished the race strongly to take second so if he holds his form again in this race he might be the one who pushes the INEOS pair closest
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #12 on: July 15, 2019, 23:52 »
    I watched the final 60 km again on a different channel, and made some notes.
    Nerdery warning issued!

Conclusions: G2 kept constant distance to G1 but then collapses completely at the end, in the final km, or the timing was wrong all along?

some key moments:
    Distance gap g1-g2gap break – g1observation
    55,7 km 0 s all together except break in front. Warnings of crosswinds in this area since before the start. Attempts by bora and jumbo to break up the peloton.
    52,7 km 0 s Quiet! Lunch in the peloton, gap to the break widens. Commentary says «everything is going Pinot’s way».
    50,0 km 0 s 110 s end of last climb, stable gap from break to peloton 1:50 mins
    46,3 km 0 s 120 s stable gap, 2 mins
    45,0 km 0 s Hushovd says «crosswinds danger zone is here». Parcours changes direction and new direction provides crosswinds coming from slightly behind.
    43,5 km 0 s 110 s gap at 1min 50 secs but going down. Wind is variable.
    42,5 km 0 s EF education to the front
    40,3 km 0 s 110 s gap remains~ 1 min 50
    36,9 km 10 s small split
    36,1 km 0 s quiet, all together, bennett with bottles at the back . Hillcrest, front riders accelrates on to the plain, gap diminishes quickly
    35,2 km 2 s Alaphilippe starts a new attack. Gap vanishes quickly.
    34,2 km 10 s Ineos and Enric Más also starts pushing the attack
    31,7 km 10 s 40 s approx 45 riders in first chase group, gap to break reduced to 4 secs. Second chase group may be just a few riders more.
    26,5 km 20 s group 1 to group 2 extended to 20 secs
    25,0 km 20 s 0 s Group 1 catches the break
    15,0 km 20 s 0 s (gap only)
    12,0 km 41 s 0 s (gap only)
    10,4 km 45 s 0 s (gap only)
    6,7 km 60 s 0 s (gap only)
    4,0 km 70 s 0 s (gap only)
    3,0 km 67 s 0 s (gap only)
    2,0 km 72 s 0 s (gap only)
    1,0 km 75 s 0 s (gap only)
    0,0 km 100 s 0 s (gap only)

• ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4001
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #13 on: July 16, 2019, 02:55 »
    I had Robbie McEwen commentating (who is very, very good) - and he said very clearly that if G2 did not make the bridge before the top of that climb (approx 30km to go)  then the gap would end up over 1 minute.     And that is exactly what happened.

They talked for perhaps 15 or 20 km before the splits about the probability of crosswinds at that point - so it isnt like no one knew it might happen. 

My tv went on a very long ad break at the time of the splits - so I didnt see it ... but I was astounded at the sheer number of GC contenders caught out in what was a predicted move.

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3286
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #14 on: July 16, 2019, 04:04 »
    Day before rest day tradition will be that the Peloton decides that today is also a rolling rest day,  :P and the stage becomes the perfect breakaway stage.

What the hell happened today!?!?  :o  :cool

I'm just catching up on all the fun now.

Nice highlight reel here.  :)

• ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #15 on: July 16, 2019, 08:03 »
    I had Robbie McEwen commentating (who is very, very good) - and he said very clearly that if G2 did not make the bridge before the top of that climb (approx 30km to go)  then the gap would end up over 1 minute.     And that is exactly what happened.

They talked for perhaps 15 or 20 km before the splits about the probability of crosswinds at that point - so it isnt like no one knew it might happen. 

My tv went on a very long ad break at the time of the splits - so I didnt see it ... but I was astounded at the sheer number of GC contenders caught out in what was a predicted move.

David Millar said the same thing.
    He said that the leaders in group 2 had to make sure that the chase didn't go too hard, or else they would blow up their domestiques. They didn't and so they did. He then pointed out that only the leaders were left and having to work. He said if they didn't close it when they got the gap down to 14 seconds, they would lose a chunk of time.....
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #16 on: July 16, 2019, 08:53 »
    Conclusions: G2 kept constant distance to G1 but then collapses completely at the end, in the final km, or the timing was wrong all along?
    I think it's a combination of not precisely accurate timing, and G2 just being toasted and leaking time. The graph you drew shows that they were losing ground at a relatively steady rate on the last ~15km.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #17 on: July 16, 2019, 09:15 »

David Millar said the same thing.
    He said that the leaders in group 2 had to make sure that the chase didn't go too hard, or else they would blow up their domestiques.

I watched it twice and either Kurt Asle Arvesen or Robbie McEven´s evil twin, Thor Hushovd or both of them, said the same. The panic in the chase group leading to poor decision making is a bit of a #groupama Pinot trap - he is known to become a little hot-headed under pressure sometimes. However, there were more teams involved in group 2 and it is almost unbelievable they all made the same bad decision.
    When they failed to catch group 1 before the top of that hill, they still could make the decision to reverse it and wait for those struggling up the hill. They didn’t, so they ended up with a small group of mostly good climbers and #astana Lutsenko trying to catch #sunweb and #ineos over flat lands. #groupama  Pinot and #champch Reichenbach’s limited applicability in such chases was made clear in the giro last year. Recognizing the similarity in the situation, all #ineos needed to do was to do was to keep the speed up to the finish line. Only Lutsenko in group2 was equal to the group 1 roleurs.
    There’s something more that happened at the very end inside the 2 last km’s or so, when the gap suddenly grew by 25 secs to 1min 40 secs. It may be Lutsenko’s fading power vs the sunweb train’s yet untapped reserves that they had saved for the leadout. It could also be a gap timing error revealed by the finish line.
    There’s a lot of focus on the roundabout just before Alaphilippe set up the decisive split. Group 1 riders went right, group 2 riders took a slightly longer left hand turn around it. Aleksander Kristoff said they knew about it, but he wasn’t able to get over to the right hand side because riders to the right of him were heading lef, so there was an element of bad luck involved in who ended in G2 vs who was with G1. On the other hand, all the teams known to ride well in crosswinds put at least 1 of their captains into group 1. That happens by plan, careful execution of the plan,  and not by coincidence.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #18 on: July 16, 2019, 10:46 »
     Possibly the most telling of everything I saw yesterday was the way Pinot reacted at the end of the stage, when interviewed and I compare that to how I imagine Thomas would have spoken, had it been him.
     Mentality, it seemed to me that Pinot was crushed; half way to losing the whole race, in his head. Some serious psychological damage repair required over this rest day.
     As for Uran and EF, for causing the split, they blame..................well................EF.

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/07/ill-fated-echelons-how-ef-education-first-missed-the-move-it-started/
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4001
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #19 on: July 16, 2019, 10:47 »
    in the last 2 kms or so though - the sprint trains of Sunweb and DQS took over ... so the pace in G1 just kept going up and up and up.    And G2 were blown so the pace dropped off as the helpers pulled out.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #20 on: July 16, 2019, 12:16 »
    Possibly the most telling of everything I saw yesterday was the way Pinot reacted at the end of the stage, when interviewed and I compare that to how I imagine Thomas would have spoken, had it been him.
     Mentality, it seemed to me that Pinot was crushed; half way to losing the whole race, in his head. Some serious psychological damage repair required over this rest day.

Remember how he blew up on the cobbles in 2015? He doesn't have the most level head in the peloton. It doesn't help that being the french favorite in this race is not at all an easy burden to carry. Alaphilippe seems to be pretty much the opposite kind of character: thrives under pressure and seemingly laughs at his own failures. If only he had the restitution improved, he might be a contender more than Pinot manages to be. Come to think of it, it seems that he leads the race by 1 min 14 secs at half the distance covered :-x
    If that was someone from Ineos many would consider it a safe gap and a settled GC race.

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #21 on: July 17, 2019, 08:47 »
    Remember how he blew up on the cobbles in 2015? He doesn't have the most level head in the peloton. It doesn't help that being the french favorite in this race is not at all an easy burden to carry. Alaphilippe seems to be pretty much the opposite kind of character: thrives under pressure and seemingly laughs at his own failures.
    It's a good thing Pinot never signed with BMC co-sponsored by TAG Heuer.
    "Don't crack under pressure" :P
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #22 on: July 17, 2019, 08:59 »
    It's a good thing Pinot never signed with BMC co-sponsored by TAG Heuer.
    "Don't crack under pressure" :P

His rest day interview for tv shows just how fragile he is: "We didn't deserve that, it's not fair, I can't come to terms with it, etc etc...."
    All to the tune of a semi hysterical Madiot, almost going full Chernobyl, when pressed.

All very French............unfortunately.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #23 on: July 17, 2019, 13:13 »
     As for Uran and EF, for causing the split, they blame..................well................EF.

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/07/ill-fated-echelons-how-ef-education-first-missed-the-move-it-started/

I like the ending. Pretty much fills in the blanks:
    So if it wasn’t planning, was it execution? EF, by Woods’ own admission, went a bit early.

The most likely answer is the obvious one: It wasn’t planning or timing, it was the combined horsepower of the world’s best lead-out train, Deceuninck-Quick-Step, a bunch of strongmen from Bora-Hansgrohe, and four world-class classics men from Ineos.

Brailsford nailed it: “Once you’ve got those guys on the front, you’re not bringing them back.”
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts