collapse

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3024
  • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
Saint-Étienne > Brioude 14/07/2019 - Stage 9 - 170,5 km

The 9th stage of the Tour de France runs from Saint-Étienne to a tricky finale in Brioude, the birthplace of Romain Bardet. The route amounts to 170.5 hilly kilometres. In 2017, Warren Barguil gave France its first French Bastille Day winner since 2005. Obviously, French fans love to see Romain Bardet win the stage in his hometown.

The race gets underway in Saint-Étienne and travels from one hill to the next. The route barely features a flat metre. The hardest climb, the Mur d'Aurec-sur-Loire, comes early on (36.5km). There are then two Cat 3 climbs, the second one 13km before the finish. That is also the bonus point.

The Mur d’Aurec-sur-Loire is a 3.2 kilometres climb at 11% is crested at kilometre 36.5, so way too early to have any lasting effect.

It will add to the fatigue though, as will the second KOM climb, Côte de Guillaumanches, which is 7.8 kilometres long and slopes at 4.1%. The summit is crested with more than 60 kilometres remaining.
After the Guillaumanches the route continues on undulating terrain to a promising finale. With 12.5 kilometres out the Tour de France crests the steep Côte de Saint-Just (3.6 kilometres at 7.2%) and the first three riders over the summit earn bonus seconds (8, 5 and 3) before flying down to the line. Halfway in the descent the route kicks up only to continue downhill to Bardet’s birthplace.

Favourites 9th stage 2019 Tour de France

Bastille Day invites attackers to go all out.  Is the early break going to be successful? Possibly. But a late attack is more likely to succeed, since the Côte de Saint-Just climb at 7.2% is crested 12.5 kilometre before the finish, while the road runs virtually all downhill from the top.

:*:*:*:*:* Peter Sagan
:*:*:*:* Michael Matthews, Luis Leon Sanchez,  Wout van Aert
:*:*:* Tim Wellens, Maximilian Schachmann, Matej Mohoric
:*:* Romain Bardet, Greg Van Avermaet, Julian Alaphilippe
:* Sonny Cobrelli, Matteo Trentin, a random  *fr man
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1630
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    The question that will be answered this stage is "How strong is Deceunink?" What will they give to defend Alaphillipe's jersey? Anything at all? I'm not sure, although I think Alaphillipe will be there as long as possible.

Turning out to be an interesting tour, altho the odds should still be on Thomas - he's looking quite strong and competent.
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4020
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    I think that standing on the podium at the end of today wearing yellow on Bastille Day will be pretty important to Alaphilippe - so they will defend it.

• ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1784
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    The question that will be answered this stage is "How strong is Deceunink?" What will they give to defend Alaphillipe's jersey? Anything at all? I'm not sure, although I think Alaphillipe will be there as long as possible.

I think they will defend it. Also with the form Alaphillippe has been in, I would not rule him out to attack on the last climb for the stage win either. Winning in yellow on Bastille day would be special.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3024
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
     I think that he will almost certainly hold onto it until after the stage 13 ITT and maybe until they hits the slopes of the Tourmalet on stage 14.
    19kms at 7.4% will be a bridge too far, though.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11175
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    I think that he will almost certainly hold onto it until after the stage 13 ITT and maybe until they hits the slopes of the Tourmalet on stage 14.

Agree recon he can hold for the ITT only just though
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3316

Agree recon he can hold for the ITT only just though

I think he can hold it until the first hard day after a hard day. #yellow #quickstep Alaphilippe can do about just everything if he has a fresh pair of legs, but he doesn't have the day to day restitution necessary to win a 3 week tour.  He may loose it today already, as he was quite exhausted at the finish line yesterday. If not, I think it is the day after the next hard stage. 
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1630
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    I think they will defend it. Also with the form Alaphillippe has been in, I would not rule him out to attack on the last climb for the stage win either. Winning in yellow on Bastille day would be special.
    That's what I'm thinking, too. We'll know shortly. They should hit the 2nd climb of the day shortly. The Cote de Saint-Just looks very interesting. Just the sort of short steep ramp that might offer an opportunity for selection.

If Alaphillipe manages to kick a break from the other leaders today, he could have over a minute going into the ITT. This could get very interesting in stages to come.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13101
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Recent Posts

Re: RIP/ memorial announcements by Echoes
    [November 20, 2019, 12:28]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by Leadbelly
    [November 19, 2019, 19:18]

Re: Tokyo 2020 Olympic Road Race & ITT thread by Leadbelly
    [November 18, 2019, 15:37]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by search
    [November 17, 2019, 07:59]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by Drummer Boy
    [November 16, 2019, 00:36]