collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 11131
  • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3264
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015
Re: Rest Day 1 after stage 10
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 04:22 »
This has to have been one of the better first weeks in recent memory, no?

Intrigue

Action

Upsets

Surprises

I need some sleep before deep-diving into a proper breakdown. Thankfully, this rest day comes at the perfect time for both the fans and media to catch their breath and assess all that has gone down thus far.

Vive le Tour!  :cool

• ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4001
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 10:45 »
    its been pretty fun.

with no cycling tonight I am not really sure what to do :D
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3259
    « Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 13:28 »
    As I can remember it, it's been a great vintage so far, but then the first week has always been quite eventfult in the Tour. I am happy that there has been a flat stage that really shows up in the GC (like 2013,  2014 and 2015) , because I think that the Tour de France shouldn't be just a Tour of the French Alpes and Pyrenees. They're like the vertical walls of a skateboard ramp but in between there's quite a lot of flat and rolling terrain and it's great when they find 

The end result is actually a little bit more open when it comes to the GC compared to what it usually is. The main difference being that the dude in #yellow with a minute doesn't ride for Inoes, but few have confidence in Alaphilippe for the 3 weeks GC - and the rest of the contenders, with possible exception of #movistar Quintana, are somewhat of a B-list with riders that have strong results from before and which cycling fans know - not household names across France.

Week 3 will be very interesting as it will be exciting to see what the endurance climbers can claw back of what will probably be #ineos Thomas' advantage after the ITT.  Quintana was perhaps at his best so far in 2015, when Froome won by a large margin on the monster Pierre-St-Martin climb but Quintana took all that back in the last mountain stages. If not for the advantages carried over from from the flat stage 2 in the Zeeland region, Quintana would have been almost head to head with Froome for yellow in Paris. He is 2 minutes down now and that is more or less same as the 2015 edition, except Thomas is good on long climbs, but not as good as Chris Froome at his best.

EDIT: how do I get this to show GC results not stage results at first look?
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 13:35 »
    the difference is too that while Thomas is no slouch on a TT bike, he doesnt have the same dominance that Froome had in that discipline either ...

all in all, he is more 'catchable' from this position that Froome would be - and a bit more vulnerable as he has been known to crumble at times
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 15:00 »
    with no cycling tonight I am not really sure what to do :D

Even though I'm a bit swamped here, NBC is showing Stage 10 again right now.

There in the final 20km, and it's just as exciting the second time around. It's like the Tour never stopped!  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 15:17 »
    Um....

I understand marketing, and sponsors demands, etc, but is it just me, or do the optics seem terrible for Specialized to be providing their line of motor-assist bikes to both  #bora and  #deceuninck to be used on their rest day rides?
     :S

If "perception is reality," doesn't this somewhat blur the lines of perception? Is this really sensible?

Personally, I just don't really get all the fawning over E-bikes, but I'm willing to put my own prejudice aside when it comes to the general public. However, this doesn't seem very smart to me, in terms of the credibility of the sport.

You have the very best riders in the world, for one day (maybe two?), in the middle of the biggest race on the calendar, training on the very same type of bikes that would bring shame to team, rider and sport if they were ever to be used on any of the other days in this three week event.

Do they not see the contradiction there?

Motors will inevitably become smaller and more discreet, and un-motorized bikes will only continue to become more futuristic and sci-fi looking, with more battery-powered components, etc. So it only seems a matter of time before the lines are blurred beyond recognition.

If I didn't know any better, I'd think that the manufacturers were dooming the sport at their own hand. Or perhaps transforming the sport into some unrecognizable from just a decade ago. Is this "progress"?

Same would say Yes. And that's what concerns me.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 16:25 by Drummer Boy, Reason: added link »

t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 16:14 »
    (Thomas) he has been known to crumble at times

Crumble or fall? My personal memory is about crashes, and except the one down the Col de Manse in Gap, crashes in places where it seems quite unnecessary. There's something about focus and stress level on easy parts of the parcours. Alberto Contador had some of the same issues, and many of his GC-ambition-ending crashes took place at points in the race when not too much was going on, but Thomas must be the worst at that.

Bernal seems to be a bit more of a stable guy, although he almost went down in the TdS time trial at a critical moment, that is different from crashing all of a sudden with no apparent reason when stress levels are low (like mountain climbers falling when walking down the easy way down after climbing a cliff - not on the difficult part!).

• ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2920
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 16:51 »
    the difference is too that while Thomas is no slouch on a TT bike, he doesnt have the same dominance that Froome had in that discipline either ...

all in all, he is more 'catchable' from this position that Froome would be - and a bit more vulnerable as he has been known to crumble at times

Folks tend to forget the fact that in years past, he was competing as a domestique, albeit a super one. Sky's definition being somewhat different to say Lotto's, with Campenaerts.
    He would have easily won the ITT last year, but for the fact that the final descent became wet and he was told to back off and take care.
    He's also a double Olympic team pursuit champion.
    No slouch is a bit of an understatement. :D
    Folks thought he would crack in the third week, last year, due to the fact that he had in previous years, while a domestique.This year he is fresher.

Of course it could happen, as it could with any of the other contenders.

That's why the race is far from over.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 18:01 »
    Folks tend to forget the fact that in years past, he was competing as a domestique, albeit a super one. Sky's definition being somewhat different to say Lotto's, with Campenaerts.
    He would have easily won the ITT last year, but for the fact that the final descent became wet and he was told to back off and take care.
    Folks thought he would crack in the third week, last year, due to the fact that he had in previous years, while a domestique.This year he is fresher.

While prone to the occasional accident, Thomas is also one of the toughest to suffer the consequences. His Giro d'Italia ITT in 2017 deserves a mention. He lost around 53 seconds to Tom Dumoulin (the best Tom Dumoulin ever seen). An absolutely amazing performance suffering-wise given that he was so beaten up from falling the day before that he couldn't find a way to sit that would allow him to pedal with normal power on his road bike, the day after the ITT.  (and a DNF)

Without the accident he would have been be close to Dumoulin in GC. 

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 12806
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 18:30 »
    some very 'rest day' kind of story, but I like it ;)

https://twitter.com/develostories/status/1151158702877171713

Post Merge: July 16, 2019, 18:32
    they also did an interview witl little Louis Meintjes the other day, btw. If you ever wondered why Dimension Data sucks so hard:

WS: What would be your favourite meal that you allow to treat yourself with?

LM: At the Tour de France you can get away with quite a lot because you’re racing so much. You can pretty much eat anything.

:P

https://www.develo.cc/the-coffee-shop-louis-meintjes-interviewed-by-katusha-alpecins-willie-smit/
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #11 on: July 17, 2019, 02:38 »

yeah you make a good point.

racing as a domestique is certainly a different kettle of fish - and especially when riding for Sky/Ineos who dont care about stage wins so would definitely prioritise dom work over a good result in an ITT ...

the next stages will be interesting
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #12 on: July 17, 2019, 04:09 »
    LM: At the Tour de France you can get away with quite a lot because you’re racing so much. You can pretty much eat anything.

;p

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/1151038776799612929
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7399
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #13 on: July 17, 2019, 20:25 »
    EDIT: how do I get this to show GC results not stage results at first look?
    Don't think that's possible at the moment, would need some code tweaking.

Um....

I understand marketing, and sponsors demands, etc, but is it just me, or do the optics seem terrible for Specialized to be providing their line of motor-assist bikes to both  #bora and  #deceuninck to be used on their rest day rides?
     :S

If "perception is reality," doesn't this somewhat blur the lines of perception? Is this really sensible?

Personally, I just don't really get all the fawning over E-bikes, but I'm willing to put my own prejudice aside when it comes to the general public. However, this doesn't seem very smart to me, in terms of the credibility of the sport.

Do they not see the contradiction there?
    They're marketing people. They think that all news is good news.
    And in a way, it is. The controversy has you writing about Specialized's new e-bikes - which is exactly what they wanted.

But I fully agree - it is a terrible optic. And in my opinion, in this day and age, how things look can often be more important that how things are.
    The content of a PR message is still the main thing ... but not considering from the get-go how the optics of that message will be is almost negligent.

Also, rest days should always be on Mondays.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Recent Posts

Re: [2.HC] Tour of Utah by Drummer Boy
    [Today at 03:06]

Re: RIP/ memorial announcements by Echoes
    [August 18, 2019, 22:36]

Re: Arctic Race of Norway by Leadbelly
    [August 18, 2019, 21:54]

Re: Arctic Race of Norway by t-72